[SOLVED] W10 dual boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] W10 dual boot

Post by bad medicine »

I want to install 19 in this new (refurbished T430) laptop with W10 already installed. I'm pretty confused after reading all the troubles people are having doing dual boots with W10. The BIOS options have changed enough from my last laptop that I'm not even sure how to get the Linux USB to run.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkpad T410 Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
carum carvi

Re: W10 dual boot

Post by carum carvi »

Hi BadMedicine,

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T430 as well. It had Windows10 installed, but I erased it.

A dual boot with Windows 10 wont be any problem though.

Insert the live usb with LinuxMint on it.

Restart the computer.

Press the F12 button contineously down during restart.

A menu with attached disks will appear.
Select your Live Usb drive with LinuxMint.
(the usb drives are being shown with their manufacturer's name, so it is handy beforehand to know which manufacturer made your usb stick: kingston, sandisk etc).

Restart the computer again or this will be done automatically, I have forgotten...

After the restart the LinuxMint Live OS will boot. Press installation and simply select:

" Install alongside Windows10".

It will take some time ( a few minutes) to automatically create a new partition on which LinuxMint will be installed and the rest of the installation will show itself.

If you have any questions I will glad to be of help, because I really enjoy my T430 with LinuxMint. There are many Lenovo Thinkpad fans on this forum, so you can get excellent advice from many forummembers. Good luck with the installation, :D
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

Thanks, that got me started anyway but instead of giving me the option to install alongside W10 it installation says there are "no detected operating systems". Not sure what to do about that...As much as I'd love to wipe W10 (from what I've seen of it I loathe it) I need to keep it
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Go into Windows and disable Fast Startup, exit Windows, restart Windows, then shut it down. Go into Bios, make sure Secure Boot is turned off. Check that SATA is set to AHCI, not RAID. If set to RAID, report back here because changing this setting will kill your Windows.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

Ok I went through the 10000 aggravating steps and watched 12000 tutorials on how to make W10 do what used to take a single keystroke. I disabled fast starup and secure boot and sata is set to achi, but Mint still doesn't detect W10.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

My apologies for my naive assumption that installing Linux alongside Windows10 would be easy. :oops:

Below is a link to the Easy Linux Tips Project. It describes in detail a few more additional steps you must take before a dual boot with Windows8 or 10 will be successful. Please check that helpful site, which has helped many LInux users in the past. Careful reading will only take about 15 minutes.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... ws-10.html
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

I'm getting ready to send a bomb to Microsoft. :evil:

Thanks Carum, I went through everything on that page too. Still Mint doesn't recognize that Windows 10 in installed. :roll:
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

I'm gonna try this and resize the Windows partition https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... oblem.html
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

Lift-off.

bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

success....sort of. I don't get a Grub menu and it boots directly into Mint, the opposite problem I usually hear about. I don't have much desire to see W10 anytime soon anyway, though I will need to figure this out eventually. The Windows partitions are intact
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I suspect, because you haven't said, that win10 is installed in UEFI mode. How to tell - go into BIOS and under the startup tab, you will see the settings. My T430 is set at the moment to Both, legacy first, CSM support yes. I did have it previously set to UEFI first. Interestingly, when win was installed in UEFI mode it did not create an EFI partition (just a small MS reserved partition and the main ntfs partition for C:). When I installed lubuntu alongside win lubuntu insisted on me creating an EFI partition. I suspect this may be why grub cannot find win.

Only today, I've changed the setup. I've got a 240G SSD in the main slot and a 120G SSD in the mSATA slot. Win on the main SSD and mint on the mSATA (as it was before, installed in legacy mode). Win now installed in legacy mode, grub found win with no problems. When win10 was installed in UEFI mode, grub would not find win.

If you are not planning to use win10 much, just hit F12 on boot to get into win.

A T430 is a good choice, cheap, reliable and you can do a lot with them. :)
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Bad Medicine, great to read that your LinuxMint install finally has lifted off. Enjoy your stay in the Linux community.
AndyMH wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:03 pm
If you are not planning to use win10 much, just hit F12 on boot to get into win.

AndyMH' s advice is a very effective and good one. Simply press F12 at startup time IF you even want to use Windows10 again. Windows10 has to adjust to it's new smaller diskspace, the first time you will start Windows10 up. And it will need another reboot in Windows10 to make everything stick.

It may take some time to get it working, but once a Thinkpad is running it will give you lots of joy. :D
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

carum carvi wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:39 pm Bad Medicine, great to read that your LinuxMint install finally has lifted off. Enjoy your stay in the Linux community.
AndyMH wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:03 pm

AndyMH' s advice is a very effective and good one. Simply press F12 at startup time IF you even want to use Windows10 again. Windows10 has to adjust to it's new smaller diskspace, the first time you will start Windows10 up. And it will need another reboot in Windows10 to make everything stick.

It may take some time to get it working, but once a Thinkpad is running it will give you lots of joy. :D

Yep, F12 worked fine and I'd just as soon not be reminded that the hideous sloth is taking up disk space. But I will eventually need to use it, I suppose, when my w7 becomes unusable. I only use that for ArcGis.

I've actually been running Mint dual boot with W7 on another Thinkpad for 3 years now, so I'm not a total stranger to them. It should be a smooth adjustment from here on.
gmcd2200

Post by gmcd2200 »

If you are only using it to run ArcGis, I suggest you get software called Virtual-Box from Oracle.
It is freeeeee. and you can kiss bybyeeee to windowzzz forever.

What it is. a virtual operating system that you just fire up inside mint.. no dual booting needed.
one of the nice things it offers is you can take snapshots of your windowzzzz OS.. so if it all goes bad.. just insta restore it.. a few seconds of time wasted.
rather than a few days to weeks in recovering windows.

go check it out. ==> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads.

regards
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine »

AndyMH wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:03 pm I suspect, because you haven't said, that win10 is installed in UEFI mode. How to tell - go into BIOS and under the startup tab, you will see the settings. My T430 is set at the moment to Both, legacy first, CSM support yes.
and yes, thats exactly how mine is set.
gmcd2200 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:34 pm If you are only using it to run ArcGis, I suggest you get software called Virtual-Box from Oracle.
It is freeeeee. and you can kiss bybyeeee to windowzzz forever.

What it is. a virtual operating system that you just fire up inside mint.. no dual booting needed.
one of the nice things it offers is you can take snapshots of your windowzzzz OS.. so if it all goes bad.. just insta restore it.. a few seconds of time wasted.
rather than a few days to weeks in recovering windows.

go check it out. ==> https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads.

regards
I am unaware of anyone ever doing this successfully on Linux. I know a very small number have used VirtualBox to run ArcGis on Mac, not without some issues though. I would expect it to be fraught with problems, just because ArcGis usually is problematic even on Windows. :P
gmcd2200

Re: [SOLVED] W10 dual boot

Post by gmcd2200 »

well .. if you want to enjoy the hell like me.

You can set-up a KVM virtual system where the Virtual operating system is like real, (and controlled via the linux mint OS)
Or you can just run a virtual box.
I suggested Virtual Box as it is exceptionally easy to do.
As I expect this is somewhat similar to ER-Mapper and that runs on virtual box.. I suggest you give it a go..
you can surprise us all. or tell us a bunch of horror story's.

regards
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [SOLVED] W10 dual boot

Post by AndyMH »

Have a play! You can download a free copy of win10 from MS for virtualbox.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Installation & Boot”