How many are 100% Linux here?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: How many are 100% Linux here?

Post by JoeFootball »

I'm 99.99% Linux (mostly LM) at home, where once a year I use Windows-based software for federal income taxes. *sigh* And Android-based phone (Pixel 2) as well.

At the office, it's a different story, where all our desktops are Windows 10 (or Mac for the creative folks) by decree of our corporate overlords, but most of our servers are Linux (Debian).

Joe
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

JoeFootball wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:34 am I'm 99.99% Linux (mostly LM) at home, where once a year I use Windows-based software for federal income taxes. *sigh* And Android-based phone (Pixel 2) as well.

At the office, it's a different story, where all our desktops are Windows 10 (or Mac for the creative folks) by decree of our corporate overlords, but most of our servers are Linux (Debian).

Joe
I feel your pain . . . well I did until I retired. BTW I happen to know someone who does cyber security for DoD - their personal OS . . . . Fedora.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

I switched to 100% Linux at home when the remaining Win7 machine started crashing after every sneaky update (yes, those updates which run without permission).
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Somewhere down the road, if it's actually caught on and it's a viable, going concern, I will seriously consider switching to the Librem 5 (or successor). Some of that will, naturally, depend on who I still need WhatsApp to talk to. I use Duolingo in my quest learn German, but I can always use their web site.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Piers66
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Piers66 »

Hello,

Not 100%, no.

I use Linux for the vast majority of my everyday needs, and it does fine for most of it.

I have a dual boot PC with Windows 10 which I absolutely hate (I loved XP), but which I do need to run my audio software, Sonar, as it's platform specific. Other than that there are a few things I find easier to do in Windows, and quite a lot of minor software for which an equivalent Linux version doesn't exist.

My BIG gripe about Linux, however, is the lack of decent drivers for many peripherals. I have a Canon printer that works fine under Windows, but prints the wrong colours from Linux, for which there's no available driver. I'm currently battling an HP printer to try and get it to print without stupidly large margins, despite having HPLIP installed. Again, it works just fine with Windows.

Piers.
Main: Dell E6410 - 8GB RAM / 500GB HDD - Dual Boot Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 64-bit / Win 10
Backup: iMac 5.1 - 3GB RAM / 240GB HDD - Dual Boot Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64-bit / OSX 10.5.8
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

100% Linux in this household. Even the Missus who is computer illiterate can use a laptop with Linux on it without getting into trouble. I do, rarely, install Windwoes into Vbox to to run Google Sketchup because I have yet to find a good alternative.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BigEasy »

CPM wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:09 pmIs it good enough to be your one and only?
It is risky to have one and only. For example, one day after updates it stops boot exactly when you need to work and what you will do? I prefer two hdd with two different distros installed and upgrated.
To be honest, LM never failed for me for 5 years.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
tippecanoe8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tippecanoe8 »

I had an older laptop (2012) running Win 7. It was so sluggish I decided to try installing linux to avoid buying a new laptop.

FAR and away my best decision in computing for a while!

I only boot MINT now, and have shrunk my Win partition as much as I can to give more space to MINT. I'll never buy a Windows machine again.

I have not found ANYTHING I need or want to do, that I can't do in MINT. The machine boots faster, doesn't freeze, and is useful again.

As some point I'll need a new machine, I'll buy one with nothing on it, and install MINT as the only OS.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

100% Linux with all programs that require an internet connection.

Otherwise under certain circumstances:

MacOS 9.2 - indeed buried in 2002 - but the 3D/Modelling application Form Z from 1998 is unbeatable in some respects... also the administration and review of thousands of PostScript fonts with the help of the Adobe font management was ingenious, there was never a real replacement for it...

MacOSX 10.5 for Adobe CS 3 - and that was therefore the climax, as well as the reason for the exit, which concerns later Apple and Adobe products.
lsemmens wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:14 am 100% Linux in this household. Even the Missus who is computer illiterate can use a laptop with Linux on it without getting into trouble. I do, rarely, install Windwoes into Vbox to to run Google Sketchup because I have yet to find a good alternative.
for Isemmens:
do you know Form Z free? Unfortunately only runs under Windows or macOSX...
http://www.formz.com/products/formzfree.html
Hexeratops

Post by Hexeratops »

I have Windows 10 on dual boot, but I never use it. The reasons I keep it around are because I got it for free and it hosts an installation of VB6 if I ever need it; hopefully I never do. All of my home software development work is done on Linux.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

I have been back and forth with Windows since 2009, including completely ditching dual boot for a while. For business reasons, I ended up switching back to Windows 10 (single boot) for a few years, but have run Mint 19.1 in dual boot mode since December 2018. I am in the "just in case" camp on my Windows 10 installation, but have found that I rarely use it. I keep a Windows 7 VM that I use occasionally (now under VMWare Player), and use Crossover for when I need Microsoft Office. I hope to get a new machine later this year and will ditch dual boot for that.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

absque fenestris wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:44 pm for Isemmens:
do you know Form Z free? Unfortunately only runs under Windows or macOSX...
http://www.formz.com/products/formzfree.html
Not one I've ever come across. Looks interesting, but not interesting enough to load Windwoes for......
I used an early Autocad before I saw some impressive 3D stuff in sketchup. I've been there ever since, but, even now, I haven't even loaded vBox to get S.U. working for a loooong time.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Greencedar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Greencedar »

I have two computers running Ubuntu 18.04. An old laptop has a windows 7 for my church website. Once I get a suitable replacement for the church website we will be 100 per cent Linux
Greencedar
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

For all practical purposes this household is 100% Linux. The exceptions are my wife with an android touchpad, My adult daughter with an iPhone, iPad, Dell LM 19.1 Cinnamon, My adult son with an iPhone, Linux Gamer 19.1 Cinnamon, Toshiba laptop Linux Mint, MacBook 2.0 with LM 18.3. I have a dozen or so netbooks/Laptops running LM with one dual boot64 bit LM cinnamon with XP 32 bit as a server for my Xerox color Laser printer. this one I use with an external HDD with 300GB of Autocad 12 files. AC does not run on Linux.
I gave 24 Dell 910 netbooks to my son and he loaded in Peppermint with modifications and replaced the WIFI cards with special VPN cards for use with his work ( a PUD). His boss and the board loved it and gave him a big promotion. He got the governing federal agency converted from Windows 7 to LM.
boyo1991

Post by boyo1991 »

i am 100% linux mint.

ive had a few machines that were dual booting and a couple that were all linux... but as of this moment, 100% linux.

people always ask "oh ive heard its so much better" and i have to correct them in their definition of better lol. more fun? sure theres never a dull moment in linux, thats for sure lol
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

I do still have a couple of "working" Windows instalations .. 98 & xp .. neither of which have been touched in quite a while. So, in practice (apart from the experimentation with VMs, which doesn't really count as it's not on "bare metal") I've been 100% Linux since the switch, around February 2016, shortly before I joined this Forum.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Last edited by 151tom on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

3 Linux laptops, 1 mac laptop, one Windows desktop. The spouse Unit and the kids each have a windows laptop, then we have one chromebook, three ipads, one Galaxy Tab S3, one Galaxy tab S2 mini, three iphones, one pixel 3a, and a Google Nexus 7 tablet.
In2Blues
Level 2
Level 2

Post by In2Blues »

When I first installed Linux Mint I dual booted with W10 because there are a couple of Windows programs I like.

That turned out to be a royal pain so I am now booting 100% Linux and using VirtualBox for the two Windows programs I use periodically.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
Kernel: 4.15.0-52-generic
Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz x 6
8GB RAM
Intel graphics
frostymusic
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frostymusic »

I was in experimental stage for a long time, almost a year. I played around with other Linux distros, especially Zorin because I thought it be a better switch from Windows 10. I kept a dual boot machine with Windows 10 and finally with Mint Mate. The learning curve to getting used the the Linux lingo was not too bad, I kept notes on index cards so I could remind myself of terms when asking for help. I currently have a partition for Windows, and I can see that eventually going away as I get more comfortable with Mint.

Welcome to fold.
Your now one of US!
:shock:

Return to “Chat about Linux”