Is this really meant to be installed?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bozzchem

Install of 19.1 is a bust

Post by bozzchem »

I made a boot USB for Gparted and wiped the drive of my laptop.
I made a boot USB for installation of 19.1 Cinnamon version.
I finally got past the boot menu for adding third party software.
Now, I'm stuck at the window for installation type after telling it to Erase Software and Install Linux Mint.
Maybe I should just go back to Windows.
Shouldn't this installation be easier?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Install of 19.1 is a bust

Post by Larry78723 »

Please post an inxi -Fxz report. This will give us a concise overview on your hardware and on how Mint sees it.

Here is how to generate the report and post it:

Reboot your install USB
Open a terminal window. Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Execute the command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxzd 
exactly as it has been typed here.

Mark the complete text output which the command will display with your mouse.
Press the keyboard shortcut <Shift><Ctrl>C to copy the marked text into the clipboard.
Enclose the results between the code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply then paste <Ctrl>V them in your reply between the code markers.

The results will help us to help you.

Larry
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
bozzchem

Is this really meant to be installed?

Post by bozzchem »

I cannot get 19.1 installed on my HP laptop that previously had v 18 on it.
I made a bootable Gparted USB and wiped the drive.
I made a bootable USB for the 19.1 Cinnamon version.
I get to install third party software and it just hangs forever.
Since I've tried this at least a dozen times, when it does go further, I get a Low Disk warning even though there is 1 TB of unallocated space.
I'm starting to wonder if this wasn't designed to be installed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Is this really meant to be installed?

Post by kc1di »

What video card does that machine have?
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by benchrest »

Are you dual boot or just LM 19.1 by itself? I don't see the reason for running gparted. I suspect the LM installer thinks there is little space on the drive because of what you did with gparted. I suspect you need to run gparted and make the whole drive a ext4 partition if you are not dual boot. Hopefully someone else will be able to give you more detail. A normal install of 19.1 replacing 18 would be just to run the installer, don't need to mess with 18 or gparted. Then when you get to the installation type select erase disk and install Linux Mint. The installer will do all the formatting you need.
But I am not sure what your disk looks like after running gparted and just what you did. With the live cd can you run sudo fdisk -l and see what your disk allocation is and post it here?
kc1di is onto something. I had to upgrade my graphics cards when I went from 18.3 to 19.0 But I don't remember the symptoms or how I knew.
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS TUF B450M, Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gb memory, Samsung SSD 970 EVO-Plus 500gb, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 27" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison.
bozzchem

Post by bozzchem »

This laptop is 100% dedicated to linux.
It was running v 18 without issues. I now regret trying to "upgrade" to v 19.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. It wasn't broke. I just wanted to have the latest version of LM. Bad move on my part.
I can't install LM 19.1 on this thing.
bozzchem

Post by bozzchem »

This should be a simple install.
Drive is wiped and LM should install.
Nope. It hangs at third party installation. The one time it got past that, it hung at wipe the drive and install with a low disk warning...WITH A 1 TB WIPED drive.
Something has changed. It seems that it no longer wants to be installed. Since the laptop is dedicated to linux, I'll put up with this. No way in hell would I convert my other hosts based on this action. Once I figure this out, I will be slightly more inclined to move the others over.
benchrest
Level 3
Level 3

Post by benchrest »

I see you have two choices. Answer the questions we asked or reinstall 18.3. But if reinstalling 18.3 fails the same way 19.1 did that might point to what you did with gparted.
LM Cinnamon 19, ASUS TUF B450M, Ryzen 5 2600x, 16gb memory, Samsung SSD 970 EVO-Plus 500gb, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb, dual 27" monitors, MSI GEFORCE GTX 1050ti Areo ITX. Big user of Gramps, LibreOffice, Unison.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Yeah, the GParted part sounds fishy. GParted is even available in the Mint live environment, why would you make a separate bootable USB for it? And if you want just one OS on the disk then the installer has the "erase drive" option, which is also the one I would recommend here. Is that what you are using?

Also:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxzo
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

Could the low disk warning be the USB? Maybe it's trying to install to USB instead of HDD. Just a guess.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

I have had that same experience, that the installation kept hanging at the installation of third party software during a new install of LM19.1.. I disabled / skipped the third party software option DURING install and installed the third party software AFTER I had successfully done the new OS install. That worked for me. These third party software hang ups, were present during a 19.1 install, but NOT present during a LM18.3 install.

I must admit that I only use the option "third party software" to get Vlc Mediaplayer and multimedia codecs installed. But the multimedia codecs can also easily be installed AFTER a new OS install, by simply selecting: Menu / Video / Install Multimedia codecs.

I have often chosen NOT to install third party software and everything worked perfectly without it. I dont know in detail what is in the third party software package? What would one miss by NOT installing it? Is there a list available?
Last edited by carum carvi on Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Linux Mint Release Notes wrote:

Force UEFI dialog hanging the installation

The following bug is affecting Linux Mint: https://askubuntu.com/questions/693732/ ... ion-window.

The issue occurs in EFI mode, when the HDD (or SSD) is new (without a partition table) and the installer is connected to the Internet.

To work around this problem, disable your Internet connection before launching the installer, or let the installer partition your drive automatically first (during a first install) and then install a second time with manual partitioning.

For more information on this bug, visit https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1418706.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

bozzchem wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:08 pm It hangs at third party installation. The one time it got past that, it hung at wipe the drive and install with a low disk warning...
This post is posted twice on the forum with the same name....I wanna mention that first, to avoid confusion...

Forumuser Zcot has posted a link (see above) about an Ubuntu bug during installation. I have had a similar experience as the information in the link of Zcot.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/693732/ ... ion-window

The solution described in the link is to disable the third party software option or even disable the internet connection during the first install. After the new install, do a reboot and install the extra updates while connected again to the internet. This seems to work.

I have experienced several similar hangups during a new install of LM19.1 as well, right at the moment of the "third party software option". I disabled that third party software option during the install and selected to install the multimedia codecs AFTER the new LM19.1 install. That worked perfectly. (I didnt have to disconnect the internet connection though during the install).

Like the other comments already described one indeed doesnt need Gparted for a new install. I always take the easy route by simply letting the LinuxMint installer decide how to install the new OS. Worked perfectly every time!
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

Bozzchem, welcome to the Linux MInt forum,

Accidentally you have created 3 different posts with the same question. Please check your earlier posts for all the answers that were already given.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=298613

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=298612
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Duplicate topics merged.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:04 amDuplicate topics merged.
Merged in one more thread about the same topic (Install of 19.1 is a bust)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

bozzchem wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:44 pm I made a boot USB for Gparted and wiped the drive of my laptop.
I made a boot USB for installation of 19.1 Cinnamon version.
I finally got past the boot menu for adding third party software.
Now, I'm stuck at the window for installation type after telling it to Erase Software and Install Linux Mint.
Maybe I should just go back to Windows.
Shouldn't this installation be easier?
Actually, the Linux Mint installer is really easy to use. So I have a question. Since you used Gparted to wipe your laptop's drive, why wouldn't you just select either the "Something else" install option, or just use the entire disk? There is no need to erase anything! Just follow the install instructions that have been published for Mint, step by step.

If you want to go back to Windows, that would be your choice, but don't blame Mint ...
bozzchem

Post by bozzchem »

I guess I should just stick with Windows. At least it installs.
LM 19 refuses to install.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

If you don't want to give more information by answering questions and trying out suggestions, then that might be for the best. :?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

The OP doesn't say anywhere that he/she has checked the MD3 against the downloaded file copy of Mint 19, perhaps they have a borked copy?

Return to “Installation & Boot”