Mint Overtakes Ubuntu for #1 spot

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
craig10x

Re: Mint Overtakes Ubuntu for #1 spot

Post by craig10x »

why not use the word "dictator" it gets the message across without being offensive :wink:
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

The DistroWatch site 'stats' keep track of how may hit's the OS-distros link gets per day.

Yes, Mint has over-taken Ubuntu since the release of Unity.

This site > http://iso.linuxquestions.org < keeps track how how many times the OS-distro was downloaded.

I believe this to be a more accurate barometer as to how popular and used LinuxMint is.

Over the past 30 days Mint-11 have been downloaded more than twice as many times as "every other" Linux distro :P
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

vrkalak, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that list reflect how many times a distro version's .iso has been downloaded from that site -- but not how many times it has been downloaded? I've never downloaded anything from there.

Debian 3.0r2 (woody), the #11 most downloaded distro version over the past 30 days? Trustverse Linux XP Desktop 2010, #12 (ahead of Lubuntu 10.04)? Interesting.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It only keeps track of ISO's downloaded from LQ and not from distros' main websites or mirrors. That may be the cause of the strange figures.
But anyway, Mint 11 is quite popular in the last 30 days.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

AlbertP wrote:And Ubuntu is back at the top at 3-month.
Mint is again back on top at 3-month, 30-days and 7-days.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

The difference is very little - 2435 versus 2432. Ubuntu and Mint are swapping the 3 month listing these days.

Now we'll have to get Mint in the 6 month listing... We're already #2 but there is 102 HPD difference at the moment.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
phredbull
Level 1
Level 1

Post by phredbull »

I got my Mint11 via bit torrent, as I imagine many others did as well. I guess this is not counted, so I find these distro rankings to be for fun at best...
Apple iMac, Core2Duo 2.0gHz, 3gb, ATI Radeon Mobility X1600
-Mint Nadia Cinnamon
-Mac OSX 10.5.8
Compaq Evo N610c, P4M 2.8gHz, 7688mb, ATI Radeon m7500
-LMDE XFCE
-Mint Katya Gnome
-Windows XP
Ext. HD
-Mint Isadora Fluxbox
USB stick
-#! Statler
Gerd50

Post by Gerd50 »

Oh my god, what kind of discussion. Using a Linux distribution shouldn't be a kind of olympic race, or?
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Gerd50 wrote:Oh my god, what kind of discussion. Using a Linux distribution shouldn't be a kind of olympic race, or?
+1
scottlinux

Post by scottlinux »

choupique

Post by choupique »

I think Mint 12 will be very, very popular.
The numbers of people who've been writing about Unity as if it's a disease has to make one laugh.
I tried Unity for a week, and the "gnome shell", for an hour....All I could do was think to myself, "NOW I'm ready for Mint 12".
Unity's not that bad, I just don't want to use it :) Go Mint!
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

According to the ubuntu website, their distro is being used by 20 million worldwide...not sure if they mean in all forms (like all versions of their ubuntu such as kubuntu xubuntu, etc as well as ubuntu based distros)...assuming that is accurate, i was just curious, does anyone one the total number of linux mint users worldwide?

Also, by the way, it appears that at least the new gnome 3 version of mint 12 will have two panels as well as both mint menu on bottom and gnome3 shell docky on the left side...so it will be a bit different then then previous mint desktops have been...

Not sure what is happening with the gnome2 mate fork version or aspect of the release, though...if that becomes available...either as a seperate iso or combined with what i describe above, then i'd assume that would look like the old mint desktop...

I've been running ubuntu 11.10 and have not only gotten use to the "unity way" of doing things but actually like it quite a lot....it does require one give a period of adjustment to get comfortable with a somewhat different way of doing things...i think many just don't give it a chance and condemn it outright because it is different...
Gnome 3 shell interface is quite similar though it has more customization options though i would imagine in time unity will get more options also...

Just my observations... :wink: :D
IGnatius T Foobar

Post by IGnatius T Foobar »

I wouldn't worry too much about competing with Ubuntu.

Ubuntu has jumped the shark and is in the process of self-destructing right now. Unity is Mark Shuttleworth's pet project and he's determined to ride that albatross straight into the depths of oblivion.

Mint is going in the right direction, putting out great software and respecting its users. Just do what you do best and success will come your way!
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

IGnatius T Foobar wrote:Ubuntu has jumped the shark and is in the process of self-destructing right now. Unity is Mark Shuttleworth's pet project and he's determined to ride that albatross straight into the depths of oblivion.
I am not so sure, if in two, three or four years time when you go buy a phone, table, netbook, laptop or desktop you can choose between Android, iOS, Windows 8/9 or Ubuntu with Unity what would you choose?
pony-tail

Post by pony-tail »

I am not so sure, if in two, three or four years time when you go buy a phone, table, netbook, laptop or desktop you can choose between Android, iOS, Windows 8/9 or Ubuntu with Unity what would you choose?
I would say that on a Tablet if I ever get one ( which is very unlikely ) Windows 8 and on a Smart phone Android .
Ubuntu would not get a look in - it (Unity) is just that unintuitive .
That is partly why I jumped ship from Ubuntu - the other part was the hostility I got when I wanted assistance in replacing or modifying Unity so I had a usable desktop OS . mostly by fanboys - but by a couple of moderators too . I was just classed as a "Hater" and brushed off - Way to run a forum 'buntu guys !
So now I am here !
I would not run Unity based Ubuntu on anything other than a temporary install to see how it is going . It was the total arrogance that got me .
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

I didn't had to wait two, three or four years, only two weeks. Asus is selling in Portugal a nice 12" netbook with Ubuntu 10.10:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/asus ... -portugal/
http://www.worten.pt/ProductDetail.aspx ... &c=2655842
http://www.vobis.pt/ProductDetail.aspx? ... id=5&c=597

You can buy this one for 279€ or you can buy a Windows one but it will cost you more. Why buy a Windows one if in the end I am going to replace Ubuntu/Windows with Linux Mint?
Joe_Linux

Post by Joe_Linux »

nunol wrote:
IGnatius T Foobar wrote:Ubuntu has jumped the shark and is in the process of self-destructing right now. Unity is Mark Shuttleworth's pet project and he's determined to ride that albatross straight into the depths of oblivion.

Android
Nightstrike2009

Post by Nightstrike2009 »

Joe_Linux wrote : I am not so sure, if in two, three or four years time when you go buy a phone, table, netbook, laptop or desktop you can choose between Android, iOS, Windows 8/9 or Ubuntu with Unity what would you choose?
I personally would go for Linux/Android, Windows 8/9, or iOS in that order. Anything running Unity I have no interested in all that UI has done is split the linux community. I get Joe_linux's point but "I WILL NEVER USE UNITY" it was forced on its users depite their protests (which were ignored), suppose I gotta thank it for leading me to Linux Mint though, some good came of it LOL :lol:

Doesn't surprise me either Canonical/Ubuntu has failed to listen to its own users, the result is a great number of us have distro hopped and a lot of us have landed with Linux Mint, because Clem listens to his users.

Mark Shuttleworth doesn't and continues down the path to ubuntu's destrucion IMO. In his own words "Benevolent Dictator", Yeah DICTATOR precisely, Linux is powered by its contributors and users its not a dictatorship or at least it shouldn't be, Linux is about freedom.

I have great respect for Ubuntu (Mainly 10.04LTS which was the best version of ubuntu ever IMO) because it made it easier to learn linux at the time, the time however has come for myself to leave it behind (due to lack of listening to User's suggestions & requests and the "Unity" problem, which is ironic "Disention" would be a better name because it split Ubuntu users right down the middle).

Anyhow thanks to Clem and the Mint team I can still enjoy Linux and the new extensions with gnome 3.0 is a great way to adapt to the new gnome 3.0 (I now use gnome 3.0 only with mint), it helped myself loads to adapt, keep up the good work can't wait for Linux Mint 13 (Couldn't care less about ubuntu 12.04 now) 8)
jimthedj65
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jimthedj65 »

For me as a home multimedia user, LinuxMint is ina class of its own, I donated 50 euros this month and I have never donated before. Well done to everyone for a great alternative to windows.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

<mod> locking thread to prevent it from being resurrected from its grave after another 7 years of peaceful sleep </mod>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”