Ipod Touch

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tim131

Ipod Touch

Post by Tim131 »

Hello,

I have a 32GB Ipod touch, 2nd generation, which is jailbroken. I'm wondering are there any progs out there for mint that will sync Music and Video for the Ipod touch? I've googled around, and I keep getting nothing! :(

It would be great if there was something out there, but I think not *sigh*
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bouncer

Re: Ipod Touch

Post by Bouncer »

Song bird has iPod support via a plug-in, don't know if its just to play or if its just for windows either, Could give it a try
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Check out gtkpod.
kei84

Post by kei84 »

To sync music in my iPod I use Amarok 1.4. It works great.
terdon

Post by terdon »

As far as I know there is no "simple" way to get ipod touch to sync. This is apple's fault NOT linux's. The protocol used by Apple to connect to the ipod is not released so the only workaround in the *nix world is to transfer stuff over the wireless card of the ipod. Amarok and Rhythmbox can both do this, as can gtkpod. Check out these links for more info:

http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Media_Device ... and_iPhone
http://www.fredemmott.co.uk/blog_121
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Porta ... ces/iPhone

I doubt that media monkey will be able to work through wine. I mean the application may well run but the USB connection to the ipod probably won't. If anyone gets it to work please post how!

Post back here if you have problems. I have managed to get my 1st gen ipod touch (8gb) working, albeit imperfectly, with amarok and should be able to help you out.
Betwixt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Betwixt »

I recently was given an iPod Shuffle which wouldn't work with Rythmbox. However, I was told that Banshee would work and after downloading with Software manager had succes.
Terry
Mr Mojito

Post by Mr Mojito »

FOUND A SIMPLE METHOD!

THE COMPLETE IDIOTS GUIDE TO LINUX TO IPOD TOUCH/PHONE SYNCING (USING VIRTUAL BOX): lots of steps but they are very simple. no jailbreaking, no linux code!

Materials needed.
PC (I'm using a Lenovo T61)
iPod Touch or iPhone (I'm using a 1st Gen touch w/ Firmware 3.0)
Ipod usb connector
Windows XP SP2 install disc with Serial Key
Linux Mint 7 with all updates as current as april 17th, 2009 (future linux updates should only make this easier)

10 long but easy steps (Don't be intimidated I over explain a lot of stuff):

1. go to the package manager and install Virtualbox 2.2, DON'T UPGRADE to 3.0 it will not work! if you have 3.0 uninstall it and re-install w/ 2.2

2. Put in your xp CD, and set up a windows XP virtual drive in V.box. I gave myself a 15GB partition. way more than necessary. oh yeah and I have traditionally done the full NFTS install but the (quick) NFTS works fine too. choose the dynamic spacing option. All that's on my XP machine is MS Office 2007, Itunes, Norton Antivirus, Tweak UI, and maybe some adobe video editing software and games later on. other note when installing XP - "typical network settings" seems to work with no problems for me. turn off automatic updates and DON'T UPGRADE to SP3! I've heard it will not work. find some way to downgrade if you only have an install disc greater than SP2.

3. The tip a lot of people seem to leave out (assuming you have one folder that holds all of your music and you want to share it with both XP and Linux OS's) is to install guest additions. press the right ctrl button to get out of XP and click on the "devices" drop down menu in the windows menu and select install guest additions.

4. Shut down XP and go into the Virtualbox settings menu (if its grayed out you haven't shut down XP). select "shared folders" and click the folder button with a green plus (add a folder). from the pop up menu select the folder that holds your music. I think the bigger the folder you select the slower the performance. Don't worry though, its barely noticeable. I have a whole 120GB drive as a shared folder and I don't have any performance issues.

5. Start XP again, click on the start button, then right click on my computer and select map network drive. (z: drive is default, doesn't matter what letter you select) click browse and expand virtualbox shared folders, click select the folder you want (it is sometimes glitchy, try it again if you can't initially select the folder you want - it will work eventually).

6. download itunes. I think you have to download ActiveX in windows explorer, don't sweat it. be aware of that little yellow bar that stealthy drops down from the address bar asking if you want to proceed by installing things like flash and activeX. I haven't noticed them at times, and then wondered why I can't download things off of windows explorer that I want (like itunes). as of this posting the current version of itunes (8.2) seems to work fine for firmware 3.0. but I'm pretty sure Apple is going to update with a version that block it's use in Virtualbox or VM ware. You may have to search http://www.oldversion.com for this version. add media to itunes through the shared folder

7. Click Menu -> Administration -> users and groups -> hit the unlock button and type in your password. select your user name -> click the properties -> user privileges tab -> at the bottom make sure the one saying "virtualbox something" is checked.

8. If you have very important playlists on your ipod that you want to keep, manually write them down, as ******* itunes/ipod is going to wipe all media (apps will be fine) from your iPod once you try to sync it with iTunes in your virtual drive.

9. Connect your iPod to your PC. Click on the Devices drop down menu in your XP SP2 window. go down to USB devices, you should see a non-grayed out "Apple inc. iPod 001" with an empty check box. click it and it should become checked and you should almost instantly hear a generic "du-dun" Microsoft "usb recognized" sound.

10. Go into Itunes again. make a playlist with one song to go into your ipod, select that playist only and hit sync. It's going to ask you if you want to erase and sync and if you want to transfer purchased media (apps and things you've purchased on your iPod). click on both those options and wait a while. when it's done, remake your old playlists sync'em and you're done!
Last edited by Oscar799 on Mon May 03, 2010 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive language removed
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

I think installing XP is a little premature.

http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/12

Just install songbird and then install this addon. I have installed songbird with this plugin on five people's computers who have ipods and they all use it to keep their ipod updated. None of them have an iPod Touch, but I don't see any reason it shouldn't work. Songbird also has a very similar feel to iTunes, I think you'll like it.
Mr Mojito

Post by Mr Mojito »

RedWagon wrote:I think installing XP is a little premature.

http://addons.songbirdnest.com/addon/12

Just install songbird and then install this addon. I have installed songbird with this plugin on five people's computers who have ipods and they all use it to keep their ipod updated. None of them have an iPod Touch, but I don't see any reason it shouldn't work. Songbird also has a very similar feel to iTunes, I think you'll like it.
not true. regular iPods and touches/iPhones are completely different. there are plenty of programs available that sync regular ipods to linux, but touches and iPhones don't work for them. if you are very good with code, you can manipulate certain apps like Amorok to get it too work (after jail breaking your iphone/touch), but just barely. no playlist support, and it's glitchy.

Nothing can easily sync playlists, photos, songs, videos, notes, like itunes. apple has messed with itunes so you can't play it in linux's wine program so don't even bother. **** apple macintosh btw.

What I wrote above looks like a lot but its really not that much, and now it works great! i can go from just a linux OS, to itunes open and in the process of syncing in less than a minute and a half (Windows XP loads in ~20-25seconds in virtual box)! it's definitely worth the price of a windows disc. you can get XP SP1 for 56 bucks here: http://www.9software.com/Windows_XP_Hom ... xphmcd.htm. not to mention, I can use video editing and other advanced software for windows with out giving up the joys of linux too. if you're one of those computer wiz's that knows how to trick XP into thinking you have a disk when you really don't (aka getting XP for Free.99)... then more power to ya!

EDIT---

I guess if you're cheap, lack hacking skills, you can download Windows 7 beta for free. be aware that it will only work for free until the the OS is put on sale in oct/nov though.
Last edited by Oscar799 on Mon May 03, 2010 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Offensive language removed

Return to “Beginner Questions”