Linux Mint logo suggestion

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brotenet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by brotenet »

A suggestion for the logo.

I have uploaded both the source SVG file and a PNG image for preview to my Git repo.

Hope you like it. :D

Both can be found Download Here: https://github.com/brotenet/drafts
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.
--Nelson Mandela
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint logo suggestion

Post by twodogs »

Reminds me of Manjaro. I like 'LM'.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

This looks very similar to Adam McBride's concept logo from 10 years ago but with the stems of the M widened. See forum post here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37294&p=214168#p214168 and the source at https://web.archive.org/web/20100929122 ... ent=115682 (using archive.org link as linuxmint-art.org website no longer exists). Managed to get the original file from archive.org on the 2015 capture:
115682-new mint bright green.png
redx87

Post by redx87 »

Nice, but it doesn't look like a mint leaf. More like Camellia Japonica, I think.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

xenopeek wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:18 am This looks very similar to Adam McBride's concept logo from 10 years ago but with the stems of the M widened. See forum post here viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37294&p=214168#p214168 and the source at https://web.archive.org/web/20100929122 ... ent=115682 (using archive.org link as linuxmint-art.org website no longer exists). Managed to get the original file from archive.org on the 2015 capture:
115682-new mint bright green.png
Exactly! If this person did not create the links (pics) you posted then he just copied someone else's work. :(
8 ball
Level 1
Level 1

Post by 8 ball »

The two are identical in too many minor details (exact proportions, gradients, details of the curves) to be coincidental. If you're not the original creator you should at least acknowledge the source of the work - in fact there is so little difference between the two it would be a bit presumptuous to make any claim.

All that said, logo looks lovely. Way better than the current or proposed official Mint logos.
nakednorman

Post by nakednorman »

I think it was gm10 who posted this one some while ago. It's by Troken and I've been using it ever since in the hope that Clem sees it.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

nakednorman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:44 am I think it was gm10 who posted this one some while ago. It's by Troken and I've been using it ever since in the hope that Clem sees it.
Actually I had posted his inverse variant, since I consider it better logo material:

Troken's original thread from 2010: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49503

And Clem knows about the logo, but it's not considered suitable because it does not scale well and presents all the same problems of an asymmetric that Clem wants to move away from. And while I love Troken's design at full size, if you scale it down to panel-icon size it's not that recognizable anymore (I had tried with both variants).
nakednorman

Post by nakednorman »

Well, that's dashed my hopes :(
I think my panel is default size (height=40) and it looks good if you crop the unnecessary surrounding bits - it's the same size as the other icons.
(haven't tried it with your inverse version, though.)
gm10

Post by gm10 »

nakednorman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:57 am I think my panel is default size (height=40)
That big? Well, I was thinking of something like 16 pixels (website favicon, see attached) to 24 pixels (my panel). ;)
mintlogo-troken-inverse-16x16.png
mintlogo-troken-inverse-16x16.png (1.34 KiB) Viewed 14570 times
holyguyver

Post by holyguyver »

gm10 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:02 am
nakednorman wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:57 am I think my panel is default size (height=40)
That big? Well, I was thinking of something like 16 pixels (website favicon, see attached) to 24 pixels (my panel). ;)

I actually really like that 16 pixel icon! I have now viewed that 16 pixel icon on both my 11 inch Chromebook screen and my 5.5 inch phone screen, and it is perfectly legible, I can easily make out the L, the M, and that it is a mint leaf, it looks fantastic. I really think Clem needs to reconsider this icon.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

holyguyver wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:20 am
gm10 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:02 am

Nope. It's not symmetrical.

Nope. It's not symmetrical.

I actually really like that 16 pixel icon! I have now viewed that 16 pixel icon on both my 11 inch Chromebook screen and my 5.5 inch phone screen, and it is perfectly legible, I can easily make out the L, the M, and that it is a mint leaf, it looks fantastic. I really think Clem needs to reconsider this icon.
labeent
Level 1
Level 1

Post by labeent »

This is good logo (troken...)

but i think we don´t need change. Becose this is perfect logo ...
(lm_1 or lm_2)
Attachments
lm_2.png
lm_2.png (84.24 KiB) Viewed 14280 times
lm_1.png
lm_1.png (151.23 KiB) Viewed 14280 times
troken3-100.png
troken3-100.png (9.16 KiB) Viewed 14280 times
harfad

Post by harfad »

I agree that the current "LM" start menu logo is a bit dated, and deserves a new look. Microsoft have done a nice of job of revamping their start menu logo. If they can do it, so can we! :P The only question is what to replace it with. I have attached three suggestions. I had more, but it wouldn't let me attach more than three. These are artistic suggestions. Others can improve on them if they are talented enough.

The start menu logo is also too close to the left edge. It needs to be given a little bit of extra padding to the left. Also the icons on the task bar are a little bit too close together, and can be spaced out a little bit more, but not too much (in Zorin OS for example they are spaced out too much). The "terminal" logo is also a bit too dark and ugly on the task bar. It looks like a black hole! I am sure it can be improved to give the whole thing a better look and feel.
harfad

Post by harfad »

Here are a few more:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Nice and artistic indeed.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
harfad

Post by harfad »

More suggestions:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

A stock image of stylized leaves that you found on Google is not the same as a logo. If someone wants to design a logo and look at stock images as inspiration, they'll look them up themselves.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
harfad

Post by harfad »

And these:
harfad

Post by harfad »

Moem wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:50 am A stock image of stylized leaves that you found on Google is not the same as a logo. If someone wants to design a logo and look at stock images as inspiration, they'll look them up themselves.
Nothing wrong with making suggestions or presenting ideas. The current "LM" logo is old and ugly. It is about time it was changed.

Return to “Your Artwork”