The board will go down for necessary maintenance at 12:00 PM UTC (see current UTC time). We expect to be back 1 hour later at 1:00 PM UTC. Apologies for any inconvenience.

[SOLVED] Grub menu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Klaas Vaak
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Grub menu

Post by Klaas Vaak »

I have Mint 19.1 XFCE - 64bit installed, it's the only OS on my laptop.
A couple of days ago I used this laptop to install the same Mint version on a thumb drive. Now, when I start my laptop, the Grub menu shows both Mints, the latter at the top of the menu, the 1st below and shown as sda1. BTW, I need to have that thumb drive plugged when I start the computer otherwise it just shows a black screen saying the drive is missing.

To get rid of the thumb drive entry I installed Grub Customizer, but when I open that up it only shows the version installed on the laptop with 3 kernel versions below. Even if the thumb drive is plugged in, GC still only shows the original Mint.

How can I get rid of the thumb drive version?
Last edited by Klaas Vaak on Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Grub menu

Post by deepakdeshp »

Grub customizer installing is a bad thing to do. It changes grub and adds lot of things. I don't know how to handle GC.Now the pen drive grub is controlling the computer booting.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Klaas Vaak
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Klaas Vaak »

deepakdeshp wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:13 am
Grub customizer installing is a bad thing to do. It changes grub and adds lot of things.
I have seen positive comments about GC, even from experienced Linux users.
I don't know how to handle GC.Now the pen drive grub is controlling the computer booting.
I know the pen drive controls the booting order now, that's why I made this post.
From what I have heard changing the Grub menu is not difficult, but it needs to be done correctly otherwise it becomes a mess.
So I am hoping for some precise instructions that don't necessarily involve GC.

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

boot into install on the hard drive, then

Code: Select all

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
to install a boot loader to the hard drive. If that does not work, as you should have done from the start, provide output of

inxi -Fxz
I also cannot help you with GRUB customizer, I never felt the need to complicate my life by using that. ;)
Tune up your LM 19+: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Klaas Vaak wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:55 am
deepakdeshp wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:13 am
Grub customizer installing is a bad thing to do. It changes grub and adds lot of things.
I have seen positive comments about GC, even from experienced Linux users.
Not from me.... Why you shouldn't use it:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... mizer.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

hans123
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hans123 »

In Mint unmount / eject the usb-thumbdrive. Open Terminal and enter 'sudo update-grub' (without the quotes). This makes grub update the boot options and since the usb disk is not there, only the standard boot will be included in the menu.

Klaas Vaak
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Klaas Vaak »

gm10 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:02 am
If that does not work, as you should have done from the start, provide output of

inxi -Fxz
I apologise for not doing that. I thought Grub is a general Linux thing, and how to handle it is not dependent on which computer or which Mint version one uses. Wrong assumption. Sorry.
Last edited by Moem on Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a quote

Klaas Vaak
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Klaas Vaak »

Pjotr wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:04 am
Not from me.... Why you shouldn't use it:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... mizer.html
That certainly is true, I did not hear that from you.
Thanks for the link, that is useful page. In fact, the Easy Linux Tips Project is an amazing piece of work, extremely useful because it is good AND easy to understand even for a beginner/newbie

Klaas Vaak
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Klaas Vaak »

hans123 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:06 am
In Mint unmount / eject the usb-thumbdrive. Open Terminal and enter 'sudo update-grub' (without the quotes). This makes grub update the boot options and since the usb disk is not there, only the standard boot will be included in the menu.
Yes that worked. Thanks a lot.

Klaas Vaak
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Klaas Vaak »

To all:
thank you very much for your help and suggestions. It's great to have a site like this as support, it is so reassuring to know that one is not alone, which is the feeling I always had when I was still using Windows. If there was a problem one had to search endless on the internet; yes, there is a Windows forum, but a lot of the time (if not most of it) the suggestions are pretty useless.

BTW, I just realised I had another option: Timeshift !!!! I forgot all about that one, I still have to get used I have it - it runs in the background and takes a new snapshot every day.

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Grub menu

Post by RemonK »

Sheit! I wish i read this before i installed Grub Customizer! :oops:

I'm almost all night trying to make a submenu with some livecd iso's to boot from, but no luck at all!!
Het leven is net een kartbaan; Sensatie, adrenaline en veel te snel voorbij!
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

RemonK wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:08 am
I'm almost all night trying to make a submenu with some livecd iso's to boot from, but no luck at all!!
See an example I posted here: viewtopic.php?p=1575737#p1575737, but please make your own threads for your own questions.

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

Did i ask a question then?
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

RemonK wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:56 am
Did i ask a question then?
Perhaps not in so many words, but implicitly it certainly looked that way.

Anyhow: what you definitely, clearly and unequivocally just did, was trying to annoy one of the more knowledgeable and helpful members of this forum. How smart was that, eh?

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

Wow, people are so quickly annoyed these days....... :? But then again, it is a choice to be annoyed!
Technically i did not ask a question! I just wish i saw this topic before i installed that programm because i had no luck with it. And it made a mess of my grub files! But by lots of google, trail and error i can now boot all my mint ISO's from ntfs disk. Except the GParted and Knoppix ISO's, they are the tuff ones.. but i will break them! also ;)
Eventually i did the editing manually in /boot/grub/grub.cfg. But it becomes a problem now when i start Grub Customizer he does not recognize the newl entries i made manually and wants to update grub.cfg with his entries. So i killed the program and removed the shortcut! Not using it again!

My question now, and i think others who enter this topic with the same problem, is:

Can i safely remove Grub Customizer?
When i do, does he try to put back all the original backed up files or stays it as it is?
You posted a link how to solve this mess.. If i make a copy of my working grub.cfg, can i safely copy all the original files back from the backup directory that Grub Customizer made, and then put my own grub.cfg back?
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

He just said you tried to annoy me. While your comeback wasn't the best choice you could have made, it takes a lot more to actually annoy me. Now whether I still want to tell you how to fix your issue that you didn't actually ask about, however... hmm. ;) Hint: /etc/grub.d.

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Fair enough. The undo instructions that Grub Customizer has put in its backup folder say this:
How to restore this backup
--------------------------
* make sure you have root permissions (`pkexec nautilus` or `sudo -s` on command line) otherwise you won't be able to copy the files
* to fix an unbootable configuration, just copy:
* '/etc/grub.d/backup/boot_grub' to '/boot/grub'
* to reset the whole configuration (if it cannot be fixed by using grub customizer), also copy these files:
* '/etc/grub.d/backup/etc_grub_d' to '/etc/grub.d'
* '/etc/grub.d/backup/default_grub' to '/etc/default/grub'

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

So, just to be clear... I did not ask a question, pjotr's reply was unnecessary because i did not want to annoy you (what he thought i definitely, clearly and unequivocally did), you aren't even that quickly annoyed as he thought you were and i have weak come backs. Nice! :roll: :lol:

I do not question a lot, mostly i figure it out on my own. That for me is the best learning school! Trail and error and since januari i got a looottt of trail and errors!! Even to the point i wanted to go back to windows... BUT I DIDN'T! My hate for windows is bigger then the fear for Linux and i will survive! :mrgreen:

But i'm going to investigate your hint, thanks (i guess?)
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Post by gm10 »

You're welcome (maybe?). ;)

RemonK
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RemonK »

I think i let it be for what it is! To much of a hassle to turn everything back to what it was. I see the numbers of the menu's are changed and some names have "_proxyfied" behind them.. don't know if i can name that back to standard or not. And i see a map proxifiedscripts that is interlinked with the menu entrees!? :cry:
And i don't want to go back to the point were my new entries are gone (they finally work!! and cost me a night of sleep) and it works right now.
At the moment i don't see the logic of the whole Grub structure right now, to little time spent with it.
Schermafdruk op 2019-08-09 19-44-53.png
Joeptjoep - Feestboek

Return to “Software & Applications”