Rename (new label) external USB HDDs?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Akelbee
Level 1
Level 1

Rename (new label) external USB HDDs?

Post by Akelbee » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:17 pm

I have several similar WD My Passport USB external HDDs. They display with the same generic "My Passport" label in i.a. Devices list in Nemo main menu, which isn't very good, in particular when several are mounted at the same time. I should now like to give them individual labels to avoid mix-ups.

They show up in the Disks tool with Partition type = NTFS/exFAT/HPFS.

I can see no options in gParted for changing the labels, as suggested in this topic:
ms.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=287285&p=1589991&hilit=change+name+HDD#p1589991,
but can I change labels for these HDDs in the same way as indicated for ext file systems based USB units?

Lord Boltar
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Rename (new label) external USB HDDs?

Post by Lord Boltar » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:16 pm

I use Gnome Disk Utility for that which yo can get through the Synaptic Package Manager- once installed highlight the drive you want to change - select the "Additional Partition options" then select Edit Filesystem and type in new name see the screen shot

hope this helps
Attachments
Disk.png
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members

The only way for evil to prosper is for good men to do nothing

Akelbee
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Rename (new label) external USB HDDs?

Post by Akelbee » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:44 pm

Thank you so much, Lord Boltar.
I shall try this method during the week-end.

Return to “Newbie Questions”