Taking the plunge

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wasp1334
Level 1
Level 1

Taking the plunge

Post by wasp1334 »

Hey everyone,
I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello. I've been contemplating wiping windows and replacing with Linux for quite some time now... the only problem is that I'm basically a computer retard. So I've made it this far... I've downloaded Linux Mint 19.1 "Tessa" - Cinnamon (64-bit)...and that's as far as I've gotten. I have a backup of windows on a flash drive so if I decide to go back I can. Now I am at the stage where I need to figure out how to wipe windows and install Mint. I'll continue to poke around this forum and try to figure it out. If anyone out there feels like taking on some charity and mentoring me for a bit one on one, it would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
- Wasp1334
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Taking the plunge

Post by xenopeek »

Welcome! With the ISO file downloaded you can continue following the installation manual from here: https://linuxmint-installation-guide.re ... /burn.html. Once you start the installer you can select to use the entire disk, which will overwrite Windows. Be sure to have a backup of your important personal files from Windows (documents, music, photos, web browser bookmarks and so on) before you start this as anything on the disk will be overwritten by the installer.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello wasp1334,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums.
Once to decide to do the install there will be may here on the forum to help with any questions. There are also many web pages that can be of help in learning Mint/Linux. Enjoy!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello wasp1334 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
wasp1334
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wasp1334 »

Thanks everyone, I've gone through the manual, but still not having any luck installing directly to my hard disc. I can't find the option to "Double-click Install Linux Mint" under the "Installing Linux Mint on the computer" section. Am I missing something?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Have you booted your computer from the DVD or USB that you created from the ISO file? Once booted into the live session of Linux Mint you will find a Install Linux Mint icon on the desktop.

cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Where have you downloaded Tessa to? It is not enough to simply download it to a drive, it has to be made bootable as mentioned in Pjotr's guide. Then you instruct the computer to start from that bootable drive.
Cliff Coggin
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi wasp1334,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

During the installation of Linux Mint, if you do not want to keep what is on the primary drive like MS Windows, then select the install option for Use entire disk, or Use whole Disk, which will erase what is there and put Linux Mint on it.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
wasp1334
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wasp1334 »

aaaaaaaand I'm in! It took a while, but it looks like I have everything set up. Thanks for your help everyone.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Mint Forum. Image :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Greencedar

Post by Greencedar »

Hello and welcome wasp 1334 to the forum!

I also decided to wipe Windows 10 from my computer once I downloaded Linux 19.1. To me, it was a wise decision. From my viewpoint, Windows 10 can cause conflict and problems with Linux (any distro). So, I will not partition my OS will any Windows OS.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”