[SOLVED] Cinnamon w WIN7

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

[SOLVED] Cinnamon w WIN7

Post by Peter Linu »

Hiyall,
It would suit my working environment to run Cinnamon at the base and run Win7 on VirtualBox. An experienced IT engineer told me that NOT using Win at the base is a recipe for trouble. Does anyone have knowledge and/or experience?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Cinnamon w WIN7

Post by JoeFootball »

Peter Linu wrote: It would suit my working environment to run Cinnamon at the base and run Win7 on VirtualBox. An experienced IT engineer told me that NOT using Win at the base is a recipe for trouble. Does anyone have knowledge and/or experience?
If I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, you want to run Linux as the host ("base") and Windows in VirtualBox. I've not done so myself, as I don't have such a need for Windows, but I know people do exactly that.
Peter Linu wrote: An experienced IT engineer told me that NOT using Win at the base is a recipe for trouble.
I'd say get a better "experienced IT engineer".

Joe
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Peter Linu wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:31 am Hiyall,
It would suit my working environment to run Cinnamon at the base and run Win7 on VirtualBox. An experienced IT engineer told me that NOT using Win at the base is a recipe for trouble. Does anyone have knowledge and/or experience?

Your IT manager is giving you very bad advice. Millions of people are doing exactly what you propose. Go to the VirtualBox website and visit the forum. There you can hang out with many like-minded individuals.
athi

Post by athi »

Must be a MS Certified engineer. I have run Windows in Virtualbox on several Mint boxes to use Windows only software.

Link to Pjotr Virturalbox tutorial https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... albox.html
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

It would suit my working environment to run Cinnamon at the base and run Win7 on VirtualBox.
What exactly do you mean by "working environment"? Do you mean your environment at work ... as in your place of employment?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
AscLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by AscLinux »

Cinnamon is an application which runs on Linux and some other Unix-like operating systems. I wouldn't say it can be a base for something, maybe it can be the base for Cinnamon applets or such.
Windows is an operating system which does not meet basic safety standards, and as such it should never be used to connect to the Internet. Unfortunately, there is no certification for operating systems - there should be - and this product is a base for inflicting endless damage to all internet users. Costing billions annually. So I'd say it cannot be a base for anything, either. Maybe it could be called a base for Solitaire and such.
Master Foo Discourses on GUI.
First Linux 1997. Last Windows 2004.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

AscLinux wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:07 pm Cinnamon is an application which runs on Linux and some other Unix-like operating systems. I wouldn't say it can be a base for something, maybe it can be the base for Cinnamon applets or such.
Windows is an operating system which does not meet basic safety standards, and as such it should never be used to connect to the Internet. Unfortunately, there is no certification for operating systems - there should be - and this product is a base for inflicting endless damage to all internet users. Costing billions annually. So I'd say it cannot be a base for anything, either. Maybe it could be called a base for Solitaire and such.

Good point about Cinnamon. I just assumed that the OP is not a native English speaker and just mis-typed the fact that he wants to run Linux Mint as his host OS. Maybe the OP can clarify for us.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

AscLinux wrote: So I'd say it cannot be a base for anything, either. Maybe it could be called a base for Solitaire and such.
Or the install DVD could make a suitable base coaster for my beer. :)

Joe
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Your "experienced IT engineer" is talking b*ll*cks. My daily driver (T430) runs LM19.0 cinnamon as the primary OS with win7 running in a VM under virtualbox (mainly for office2016). But on the other hand as it's only been running for two years this way without any problems, maybe I'm the one who doesn't know what they are talking about...
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Thank you gentlemen.
These comments are exactly why I value this forum. The reason I asked here is because I too thought it was b*ll*cks! Along the way I discovered 'Easy Linux tips website. So the question was win-win (gag intended).

Andy, tomorrow I install the new CPU into the T440p!
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit+ 10yo Lenovo NAS for backup
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: [SOLVED] Cinnamon w WIN7

Post by AndyMH »

It's a bit nerve-wracking, but follow the instructions in the hardware reference manual religiously. The BIOS will probably complain when you reboot, but only once. Don't forget the thermal paste! :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Grizzly at the ready.
RIH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by RIH »

I run Windows 7 in a VM on a machine that has Mint as the OS & have done for at least 5 years.
It was originally done because I had a friend who ran a small business who was not very computer literate & requested some help.
His business was highly dependant on the web, he was concerned about the security of Windows but felt unable to use any other Operating System than it & the Microsoft Office Products.

So I experimented with using Windows 7 encased in Mint for him & installed that on his system.

From then on every couple of months he would call me in system panic about some issue. The issue was always in Windows, except for 1 virtual box issue.
I slowly tried to wean him off Windows (or more, Office) & after another Windows meltdown last October & with Windows 7 approaching end of life, he agreed to go full Mint & Libre Office.
There was a month or so of "How do I do this's" & he still phones me every couple of months. However now his first words are always "No computer issues at this end".
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

It would suit my working environment to run Cinnamon at the base and run Win7 on Virtual Box. An experienced IT engineer told me that NOT using Win at the base is a recipe for trouble. Does anyone have knowledge and/or experience?
I think your "experienced IT engineer" isn't that experienced after all...as a matter of fact this guy is a Clown Image I've been using VirtualBox for many years and you can use any OS as either Host or Guest.

I'm running Cinnamon 19.1 as the Host and have a Windows 7 VM Guest...works just fine. :D Using Windows as a VM has many advantages...anything you do in the VM doesn't affect your main OS because it's isolated.

Another great feature of VirtualBox is...once you install and set up your Windows 7 VM the way you like...you can create a Clone and use that to surf the Net...by doing this if you get hacked or a virus...just delete the Clone and create another one. :D :lol: With your Win7 VM make sure it's not connected to the Net...use the Clone. To do this go to Network...Attached To...and select...Not Attached because you don't want M$ spying on you. Image :cry: :cry:
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

bob466,
good advice. thanx.

Return to “Beginner Questions”