Whats different about debian mint?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Phiver
Level 1
Level 1

Whats different about debian mint?

Post by Phiver »

I tried Linux Mint a couple years ago. I liked it, but when I started learning more about Linux and its derivatives and distros, I found out that it is built on Ubuntu. I then also found out that there is a mint version built on Debian.

What is the difference between the two? Is there an advantage of using one over the other?

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lord Boltar

Re: Whats different about debian mint?

Post by Lord Boltar »

Might want to have a look here

https://linuxconfig.org/debian-vs-ubuntu
athi

Post by athi »

Here is an article on differences between LMDE and Mint Cinnamon.
http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/linu ... in-edition
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The main differences to me are that LMDE isn't as beginner friendly, you get older versions of software than Ubuntu based Mint, and you can't add ppa sources. It's more restrictive but also more stable. However I'd never recommend LMDE for newbies.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

When you start using it Debian based distros are far easier to maintain and use than anything based on Ubuntu. If you don't believe that have a look at MX Linux or Antix.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

turtlebay wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:08 pm When you start using it Debian based distros are far easier to maintain and use than anything based on Ubuntu. If you don't believe that have a look at MX Linux or Antix.
That's bollocks. Ubuntu is Debian made user-friendly, and Mint is Ubuntu made even user-friendlier.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Phiver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Phiver »

Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:25 am ...However I'd never recommend LMDE for newbies.
I'm very experienced with Windows, but Linux is pretty new. Could you elaborate on why you would not recommend LMDE for newbies?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Phiver wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:26 pm
Hoser Rob wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:25 am ...However I'd never recommend LMDE for newbies.
I'm very experienced with Windows, but Linux is pretty new. Could you elaborate on why you would not recommend LMDE for newbies?
I don't want to speak for Hoser Rob, but LMDE is less user-friendly and therefore not suitable for beginners with Linux. Linux beginners simply aren't its target group. Therefore I strongly advise to select the main Linux Mint, at least in the beginning.

I myself use the main Linux Mint as well, not because I can't handle LMDE, but because I'm lazy. I love easy. :mrgreen:
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

turtlebay wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:08 pm When you start using it Debian based distros are far easier to maintain and use than anything based on Ubuntu. If you don't believe that have a look at MX Linux or Antix.
I keep getting tempted by MX Linux and each time after a week or so of use something breaks and I end up re-installing Mint Xfce. Just a few days ago I installed the Nvidia drivers and MX wouldn't boot at all. Did exactly the same thing on Mint Xfce 19.2 with zero problems.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:30 pm
Phiver wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:26 pm
I don't want to speak for Hoser Rob, but LMDE is less user-friendly and therefore not suitable for beginners with Linux. Linux beginners simply aren't its target group. Therefore I strongly advise to select the main Linux Mint, at least in the beginning.

I myself use the main Linux Mint as well, not because I can't handle LMDE, but because I'm lazy. I love easy. :mrgreen:
No problem, that's about what I'd say too.

Another thing is that with a Ubuntu based distro you can find all kinds of support info in ubuntuforums.org and askubuntu.com, which are newbie friendly and you cannot argue with that user base. Newbies are going to have a much more difficult time iin the Debian support forums, whcih are decidedly NOT newbie friendly. In fact if you ask the typical sort of newbie question fouind here or ubuntuforums on the Debian equivalent, they will just suggest installing ubuntu or mint.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
athi

Post by athi »

Stayed away from LMDE3 due to the older Debian9 base, but now that the cutting edge :wink: Debian10 is out, seriously thinking about trying out LMDE4 when it is released.
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:15 pm
That's bollocks. Ubuntu is Debian made user-friendly, and Mint is Ubuntu made even user-friendlier.
Ubuntu maybe based on Debian originally but it doesn't use the Debian repos and is a completely different system nowadays. If that weren't true why do you think Clem goes to all the hassle of making LMDE based on Debian rather than Ubuntu?

Several users of MX have reported the attitude of certain 'gurus' on Mint forums who are highly self opinionated and often misinformed!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

turtlebay wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:18 pm Ubuntu maybe based on Debian originally but it doesn't use the Debian repos and is a completely different system nowadays.
"Completely different" is bollocks again. See for yourself how closely related it still is:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/debian_version
turtlebay wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:18 pm why do you think Clem goes to all the hassle of making LMDE based on Debian rather than Ubuntu?
"Its main goal is for the Linux Mint team to see how viable our distribution would be and how much work would be necessary if Ubuntu was ever to disappear."
https://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

In short: it's an insurance policy. A life insurance against the death of Ubuntu.
turtlebay wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:18 pm Several users of MX have reported the attitude of certain 'gurus' on Mint forums who are highly self opinionated and often misinformed!
I love you too, bro. :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”