Annoying Mint Firefox Startpage

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GordonT

Annoying Mint Firefox Startpage

Post by GordonT »

I really can not understand the thinking behind forcing people to use Linux Mint 19.1 Browser Page on Mozilla Firefox. Is this absolutely necessary ? Linux Mint 19.1 in its own right is a fantastic Operating System. I feel sure this will alienate a lot of other people . Seen one comment on google accusing Linux Mint of Hijacking Mozilla Firefox. This makes Linux Mint look desperate for users which I am sure that is not the case. Please let Linux Mint stand on its own merits and forget about these childish and annoying bits.
Last edited by karlchen on Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Annoying

Post by Rocky Bennett »

Please explain what you are talking about? I had to read your post three times and I have no clue what you are talking about.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't follow how this would be childish or desperate for users. You're free to set your Firefox homepage to something else. From Preferences select Home in the sidebar and there set Homepage and new tabs to Custom URLs... and you can type a URL, use your currently open pages or pick a bookmark. Set the URL to about:home to use Firefox' default homepage.

In any case, as this doesn't appear to be a support request I've moved it from support forum to chat.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

If that is what the OP is talking about then that is always one of the first things I always do. Except in my case I really don't do it because after I log into my Firefox account it is done automagically.
athi

Post by athi »

Many OEM set the default browser web page to site of their choosing. This allow the new user to review relevant details about their new system without searching for the site.

Anyway, typical Mint users have more experience using PC than regular Windows users and know how to change the browser home page. Like xenopeek, first thing I do when using any browser is to tweak the settings (set the home page etc.).
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Many users that install Linux Mint are new to Linux. This is a great idea to show them where to go for help if needed. Not hard to change a startup page :?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

For a very first contribution I find the choice of words already amazing.
Hijacking is to my knowledge one of the more serious crimes... and probably Firefox wouldn't be in Linux Mint for a long time, if the Mozilla Foundation felt hijacked somehow...
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

^^^^^ English might not be the OP's native language. It is very odd the way he worded his first post here at the forum.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

GordonT wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:01 am ... . Seen one comment on google accusing Linux Mint of Hijacking Mozilla Firefox. ....
Considering the percentage of idiots you can find "on Google" I think a link may be needed?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
michael louwe

Re: Annoying Mint Firefox Startpage

Post by michael louwe »

smgordon1259 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:37 am Most browsers that come with an operating systems have a set home page that can be changed by the user.
Do the installation of Ubuntu, Zorin OS, MX-Linux, Windows(= IE or Edge), MacOS(= Safari), etc do the same thing with their preinstalled browsers, ie the installation of LM has the preinstalled Firefox browser's homepage set to LM's website by default.?
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

michael louwe wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:50 pm
smgordon1259 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:37 am Most browsers that come with an operating systems have a set home page that can be changed by the user.
Do the installation of Ubuntu, Zorin OS, MX-Linux, Windows(= IE or Edge), MacOS(= Safari), etc do the same thing with their preinstalled browsers, ie the installation of LM has the preinstalled Firefox browser's homepage set to LM's website by default.?
In Safari, I can tell you that you're just paved with pre-installed advertising trash and stupid search engines that you first have to find in the system in the form of almost indelible bookmarks and entries.

The homepage in Firefox is freely configurable without any further intervention into the system - at least by anyone who is not debile...
athi

Post by athi »

Yes. As a matter of fact, I find Mint Firefox default homepage and pre-installed links to be less intrusive compared to other O/S default browser installation.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

I do find it hard to believe anyone would think you can't change the Firefox home page to what ever you like. Image Maybe OP thinks you can't install other Web Browsers either. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
GordonT

Post by GordonT »

Thank you to all for your replies. It seems that I have ruffled some peoples feathers. I can assure you that was not my intention. However as was to be expected there were one or two constructive replies.
For those replies I thank you again
Eg.

Unread post by Pepi » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Many users that install Linux Mint are new to Linux. This is a great idea to show them where to go for help if needed. Not hard to change a startup page :?
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

GordonT wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:20 am Thank you to all for your replies. It seems that I have ruffled some peoples feathers.
Making statements that are not true will get a response you may not like...Think McFly Think. Image :roll: :roll:
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

athi wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:08 pm
Yes. As a matter of fact, I find Mint Firefox default homepage and pre-installed links to be less intrusive compared to other O/S default browser installation.
Thank you for the answer.

OTOH, when I installed Firefox 60 ESR via PPA on my LM laptop, FF's default Home-page did not come with the LM website but came with Mozilla-FF website. Same thing when I installed FF 59 via the Terminal/CLI(= apt install Firefox) on Debian 9 and Lubuntu 18.04(= OS minimal install via Linux on Android apps).
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Just in case it is not clear (from above comments) -
1. Right hand side of the web browser is a small box with 3 horizontal lines
2. Click on it.
3. Go down to "Preferences" (Firefox) or "Settings" (if Chrome)
4. Click on "Home" (Firefox)
5. Set "Homepage and new windows" to "Blank Page" and there will nothing other than that when Firefox is started

When you open Firefox there is a "New Tab" and beside that a + If you right click just to the right of the + a menu comes up. You can then have a Menu Bar visible. Some like it, some do not. I always have the menu bar visible.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”