New Slogan?

Suggestions and feedback for Linux Mint and the forums
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read: Where to post ideas & feature requests
neo21

Re: New Slogan?

Post by neo21 »

+1

I also think that a new slogan should be used to further improve LinuxMint...
neo21

Post by neo21 »

A slogan is not just a cool line of text that gets you the attention of your target audience. If done right it transports the vision/mission/idea of the product/brand in few simple words and sets the ground for all other (marketing) communication. The slogan is also important for the positioning of the product (in relation to its competitors and market).

Thus whats "from freedom came elegance" telling everage Joe? That it is elegant? By whose definition? I mean the intention of the old slogan is clear to those who are more familiar with Linux, but if you are using a slogan that only comes clear to "experts" then you leave a lot of people (and potential users/costumers) behind...

As I understand it LinuxMint is mainly communicated as the easier better looking Ubuntu. From that perspective the current slogan is not too bad. But if you are developing an even easier "product" that average Joe can easily use and that looks "wow", then forget the "better Ubuntu"-strategy and tell Joe in a way he (easily) understands => re-think and re-slogan: 90% of the people never heard of Ubuntu or Linux. They never thought about freedom of software or open source. They never thought about whether they should have the power to control the basis of their all-day digital life or some other cooperation. What they want is a computer that does not annoy them with technical stuff, that lets them surf the web, visit facebook & co, chat with their friends, do some office things, print stuff, share photos, watch youtube and dvds. All this tasks can be easily achieved with LinuxMint, so tell them so (and how). Tell them, that it is their digital life, their computer and their OS. They will see by themselves that it is good looking, no need to tell them (they usually have seen some screen shots & videos and then expierence the live cd).
So what to communicate? "Free" => dont have to pay for it | "Free" => it is totally yours, you decide | "Easy" => not for nerds, for you => that is the LM-factor including the good looks (enhancing usability! Eye candy just for the sake of it? Get a Mac ;-)

I think it is also important to whom you dont have to communicate to with the slogan: Linux-Users & Nerds. Someone that already used Ubuntu will probably be familiar enough with open source and Linux so that he knows what you are talking about. He will get the iso and start testing the live cd...
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Choirboy wrote: My personal favorite: "What Ubuntu Should have Been."
-Robin

Great! :D Although I think if we actually started publicly using that slogan instead of thinking it then I'm afraid Clem might get served for Trademark infringement :lol:
neo21

Post by neo21 »

What about: "Enjoy Your Freedom" ?
HeLikesMint

Post by HeLikesMint »

Choirboy wrote: My personal favorite: "What Ubuntu Should have Been."

-Robin
personally, i don't think, we should use a slogan like this. pointing at other distros, especially ubuntu, from which, as far as i know, mint takes a lot of code from, seems disrespectful to all the hard workers at the ubuntu community and kinda like your digging your own grave. the linux community should support each other. this is not about which distro is the best, in the end it all boils down to showing people opportunities they don't know exist. don't forget that.

i like the "fresh. friendly. free." one, my favorite so far.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Choirboy wrote:And I agree with you on the best slogan so far: Fresh. Friendly. Free.

-Robin
Wow, thanks you all for the appreciation! :oops:
sebmck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sebmck »

I agree Fresh. Friendly. Free. Best one so far.
Right to the point and I like its simplicity.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Mint, so good
timh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by timh »

..........Free
................... Fresh
............................and Fast
................................................ Mint

like the F - words 8) :lol:
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Tagline ideas

Post by kanishka »

opendaily wrote:Linux is now easy.
I like it!

Or:

LM: Linux the easy way. :D
pc-geek

Post by pc-geek »

How About:
The Clean Linux
For A Slogan?
EnthusOcn

Post by EnthusOcn »

pc-geek wrote:How About:
The Clean Linux
For A Slogan?
Looking at your signature picture, this occurred to me:

Linux Mint: Tux Food.

No, I'm not really, seriously suggesting it.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Haha.

Linux Mint: Tux Food

I would laugh if I saw that, not gonna lie.

But how about:

breathtakingly fresh

Now some fun ones:

Linux Mint: Get Some
Linux Mint: Let's Get Fresh
Linux Mint: Ubuntu Slayer ;)
Last edited by Acid_1 on Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mojito_for_free

Post by mojito_for_free »

I like the original slogan, but it is a bit intellectual. I like about it, that i can be easily adapted: from freedom came ....

If you want a new slogan, here are my suggestions:

from freedom came taste
feel free to taste it!
fresh'n'tasty
easy as chewing a gum

My favorite is the last one. I think a slogan should not transport a message. It should rather be something, that you can't get off of your mind! :)

Although i dont think its clever to have a pro-alcohol-slogan, i can also imagin this ones: :D

imagine free mojitos!
mojitos for everyone!
It's like free mojitos
tower

Post by tower »

Lots of good ideas - but they remind me of mouthwash or toothpaste adverts!
I can almost hear the jingle and see those shining teeth! :?

Mint - designed to be better
Pep up your PC - give it a Mint CD
Mint - evolved to be easy
Make you friends green with envy - use Mint
Mint - because size isn't everything!
Mint for freedom of choice,
The best things in life are free - try Mint
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

One from me.. :-)

LINUX
FREE.FOR.FRESH
MINT
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

Mint, kills bugs dead.
Mint, it's what's for dinner.
Mint, the other white meat.

Maybe I need to stop pulling ideas from bad 90's commercials. :wink:
ArcherSeven

Post by ArcherSeven »

Aww, I like "From freedom came elegance". Though, "The other white meat" seems fitting too :P.
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

ikey wrote:I'm having trouble understanding both the slogan you have proposed and
your signature. Perhaps you could be clearer? :)
Did i said something bad about you in this forum? I feel kinda being picked by you anyway..
As for my signature, it's a quote from a film, HITMAN to be precise, when he asked the inspector whether he is a good man or not (the inspector said yes, he is) and he asked if the inspector have killed someone before, when the inspector replied yes, then he asked the inspector, "how does a good men decides when to kill?" I mean, what he said is totally right. When you do something bad, it is BAD.. Just something to think about it together here. That's all. But i think you dont like it or take it as something not appropriate to be use here, my apology, noted, but still i think there's nothing wrong with my signature. If it's just because of the word "kill", then kendall use it also on the above post btw.. But, be happy, i've edit my signature for you.. :)
As for the slogan i proposed, it is for some combination of words;
1. Linux Mint
=linux
=free
=fresh
2. Linux = Linux mint (which is free)
3. Linux=free for fresh (linux)Mint
4. Linux mint=free+fresh
5. 6. 7. etc etc..take your pick..
farnaby

Post by farnaby »