When you remove a panel widget, does its config get deleted?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lonely_llama
Level 1
Level 1

When you remove a panel widget, does its config get deleted?

Post by lonely_llama » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:41 am

I was testing out all the panel widgets after switching from Cinnamon 19.1 to xfce 19.2 (it's a lot smoother on my old 4 GB RAM laptop, plus Compiz Fusion!)
I configured the mail checker with my Gmail account, then later removed it, now when I try to add it back the account settings are gone.
How does one back up widget settings?

Crippled

Re: When you remove a panel widget, does its config get deleted?

Post by Crippled » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:13 am

Timeshift should be backing them up if you activated it.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:16 am

lonely_llama wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:41 am
How does one back up widget settings?
Those will be stored in the dconf database and thus could be exported with the dconf dump command but I have no experience with Xfce so I cannot be more specific about it. It's certainly simpler to just not remove the widgets you've configured and want to keep around. ;)
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

lonely_llama
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lonely_llama » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:18 am

gm10 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:16 am
Those will be stored in the dconf database and thus could be exported with the dconf dump command but I have no experience with Xfce so I cannot be more specific about it. It's certainly simpler to just not remove the widgets you've configured and want to keep around. ;)
Pity..I thought it would work like Cinnamon where the settings are saved under the home directory.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:36 am

lonely_llama wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:18 am
gm10 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:16 am
Pity..I thought it would work like Cinnamon where the settings are saved under the home directory.
The dconf database is located within your home directory, so if you were just asking whether backing up your home directory will back up the widget settings, then yes. I thought you were asking how to "surgically" export one individual widget's settings so you could mess around with it and then restore them later. ;)

lonely_llama
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lonely_llama » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:34 am

gm10 wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:36 am
The dconf database is located within your home directory, so if you were just asking whether backing up your home directory will back up the widget settings, then yes. I thought you were asking how to "surgically" export one individual widget's settings so you could mess around with it and then restore them later. ;)
Ahh, so I need to back that up and it should suffice?

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:57 am

Backup up your home folder including all hidden files will include your panel configuration, yes.

MrEen
Level 13
Level 13

Post by MrEen » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:10 pm

On Xfce, you might find those settings in ~/.config/xfce4/panel or ~/.cache/xfce4/plugin-name

secureIT
Level 3
Level 3

Post by secureIT » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:58 pm

To refine the information provided by MrEen:

The config file for e,g, the mail-watch plugin is in:
~/.config/xfce4/panel/mailwatch-(dedicated-number).rc

If you look at the files in the directory, the "dedicated number" is those, which is not occupied by other launcher-numbers.
So if you would backup this rc-file and you install it back with the same dedicated number, that may cause trouble.
May be the original file name was : mailwatch-11.rc - but since you deleted it, you have installed a new launcher with the file-name : launcher-11 ,
system wont know, which of them will be in use.
For security reasons it is also not advisable to back it up to a "normal" place in home, as it holds the login infos in clear text.
You can check this if you rename the file from .rc to .txt and look at the content .......
So only thing for backup, i know is : xfpanel-switch

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=297383

I think that it will also backup the configs of the plugins ..... but I can not check that, because unfortunately it has bugs, and runs not well in my installation of 19.2

What i recommend is : try xfpanel-switch ...... or backup the file to a secure-media like a personal-encrypted stick e.g. create a new mail watcher and overwrite the content of the mailwatch-(dedicated-number).rc with the contents of the stored file.
In der Ruhe liegt die Kraft ! .......... The strenght is to be found in serenity !

Return to “Xfce”