Need Help, IBM ThinkPad T60 Mysteriously Drops WiFi and LAN

Questions about Wi-Fi and other network devices, file sharing, firewalls, connection sharing etc
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rodster

Need Help, IBM ThinkPad T60 Mysteriously Drops WiFi and LAN

Post by Rodster »

The strangest thing has happened with LM Tina and has never happened with any prior LM release. I'll be using my ThinkPad T60 on the web and then all of a sudden I get a message that I have no connection to the internet. So I check the taskbar and it shows a WiFi connection, if I turn off and on my WiFi it stays stuck with the no internet connection status in the taskbar. If I try and rescan available networks nothing happens. If I plug in a LAN cable, nothing happens. If I reset my Comcast router no changes. Everything begins to work i.e. my WiFi and LAN connection starts working as soon as I put the ThinkPad T60 to sleep and immediately bring it back out of sleep mode.

It's happened twice so far since I did a 19.2 clean install 2 days ago. And if this is a clue to solving the problem, I recall putting the laptop in sleep mode a few times before the problem happened.

Any ideas? I'm a basic user although i've been using Mint for several years.

Edit: It just happened for a 3rd time, this time from a cold boot and putting the laptop in and out of sleep mode instantly got my WiFi and LAN connection working again.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Need Help, IBM ThinkPad T60 Mysteriously Drops WiFi and LAN

Post by AndyMH »

A guess - menu > preferences > power management. Anything there you can change that is wifi related?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Rodster

Post by Rodster »

Thanks for the quick reply. Nope I didn't touch any of that. The only changes I ever make is to enable the Firewall, turn off the lock feature in screensaver and adjust the touchpad sensitivity settings. Then I download Google Chrome from the Repo, the Steam Games app and a few games from the Repo which installs a few mandatory packages. Nothing out of the ordinary and that's something I do with every release. And of course I install any updates when Update Mgr informs me of updates.

I went ahead and did another clean install but this time i'm holding off on installing any games.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Another guess - between it all working normally and then starting to misbehave - are you now using a newer kernel? I.e. might the problem disappear with an earlier kernel?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Rodster

Post by Rodster »

AndyMH wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:32 am Another guess - between it all working normally and then starting to misbehave - are you now using a newer kernel? I.e. might the problem disappear with an earlier kernel?
You know that is an excellent suggestion because when I performed a second clean install, Update Mgr in the list has listed an updated kernel. I have not done any of the system updates yet just trying to see where the problem is coming from. I'll keep you posted. So far no drops in my WiFi connection since the 2nd clean install.

Edit: Just dropped WiFi while trying to post a message on a forum. I got it back immediately after I put the ThinkPad in and out of sleep mode. I haven't installed any of the system updates so it wasn't a kernel update causing the problem. However I did install some games which did download some additional pkgs I didn't pay attention to. I just can't see that causing the problem as they are the same exact games I downloaded in previous versions of LM.

Weird ! :?

Return to “Networking”