[SOLVED] Lost environment images after hardware reset

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
glocal

[SOLVED] Lost environment images after hardware reset

Post by glocal »

While waiting for updates to complete, the system including the clock froze completely and after 15 minutes I performed a hardware reset. I restarted the system but now most icons and the desktop background image aren't displayed. You can see the photo -- sorry, I couldn't take a proper screenshot with the system in this state.

Any ideas please? I really hope there is an easy way to restore the environment. I can't find the time or the energy to rebuild the setup, particularly if this problem can occur again so easily.

It's a very old laptop with Mint 18.1 xfce -- and I can't upgrade because a workaround to get the video chipset to support higher resolutions won't work on later versions.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SprinterDriver
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Lost environment images after hardware reset

Post by SprinterDriver »

What is the specifications of that computer (model name / year, etc)

You may want to test out if there is a hardware fault that cause the failure.
- Use Memtest (boot option on the live-cd) to check that the ram itself are in good condition
- Use the disks tool to check the S.M.A.R.T data of the main HDD.
So I got this bright idea. But when I tried to grab the light bulb, I did not hurt my hands as expected from a warm bulb, because it turned out to be one of those LED bulbs.
glocal

Post by glocal »

Thanks for this. It is a very old Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo v5535 laptop that has been stored away for a while. The current Mint setup worked just fine until it froze and I had no choice but to restart the laptop. I will try to run the diagnostics when I find out how but the icons and panel display problem aside, the current setup works as before. I may be wrong, but to me it looks more like a system file was damaged when I reset and I was hoping someone would say 'ah, it's file xyz and this is how you restore it' or perhaps get Mint to repair, reinstall or whatever.
SprinterDriver
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SprinterDriver »

You don't need to fix anything, all the mentioned tools are included in the live-cd (the one you boot into before you install the os)
So I got this bright idea. But when I tried to grab the light bulb, I did not hurt my hands as expected from a warm bulb, because it turned out to be one of those LED bulbs.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I would try apt install -f and/or sudo dpkg --configure -a in the terminal. That might fix all issues from the incomplete update.
glocal

Post by glocal »

The laptop passed the memory and disk tests without issues.

Then sudo dpkg --configure -a and restart did the trick. It's all back to normal now.

Many thanks both for your time.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED] Lost environment images after hardware reset

Post by MrEen »

That's great glocal. Glad you're fixed!

Return to “Xfce”