Asus Eee Pc X101ch Mint installation: Start With Linux Mint MATE

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Asus Eee Pc X101ch and Intel Atom: Start With Linux Mint Mate!

Post by sebastjava »

Lloydbiker wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:34 am [...] but I have a pretty consistent glitch: If I start up with charger plugged in, I quite often fail to get a 'Clean' boot, have to force shutdown, and restart (on battery- unplugged charger). But, if I boot on battery, I get a 'Clean' boot every time. Also, if I go to 'menu', select 'quit', and abort to 'Restart', if the charger is connected, the restart quite often fails. But, if on battery only, 'Restart' is completed cleanly.
?????
Sorry, I haven't answered this question about this boot problem because i have no clue about it and, no, i never had this problem. I am on the Asus Eee PC X101CH, with Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia Mate 32-bit. Besides, i am just a beginner, so you should get much better support when you start your own thread in some other sub-forum in there: https://forums.linuxmint.com/

PM message will be sent with more details. Thanks for your understanding.
The future Linux Mint Forums is here.
Self-Appointed Benevolent Designer on Linux Mint Cinnamon.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Asus Eee Pc X101CH exact MODEL and BIOS and SYSTEM

Post by sebastjava »

Lloydbiker wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:34 am System is working well, even smooth Video (not movies, but Video clips), no Audio, without ext speakers, without any of the updates shown, but I have a pretty consistent glitch: If I start up with charger plugged in, I quite often fail to get a 'Clean' boot, have to force shutdown, and restart (on battery- unplugged charger). But, if I boot on battery, I get a 'Clean' boot every time. Also, if I go to 'menu', select 'quit', and abort to 'Restart', if the charger is connected, the restart quite often fails. But, if on battery only, 'Restart' is completed cleanly.
?????
This keeps intriguing me. I never encountered this problem. I am thinking of possible causes and solutions:
  1. Are you sure we are talking about the very same computer? Asus Eee PC X101CH? You can check this with this Terminal command: inxi -M
    Here is the output from my machine:

Code: Select all

sebastien@sebastien-X101CH ~ $ inxi -M
    Machine:    System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: X101CH v: x.x
                Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X101CH v: x.xx Bios: American Megatrends v: X101CH.1203 date: 07/30/2012

• • •
  2. Maybe your machine behaves differently on boot because of a different BIOS version? When i was still on Windows, i upgraded the BIOS to X101CH.1203 date: 07/30/2012. If you have dualboot, you could go to Windows and update your BIOS from there.
    Click: Start Menu > All > ASUS folder > ASUS Update for Eee PC > ASUS Update. This ASUS Update is the "ASUS Windows Platform Flash Program". It can update the BIOS.

Or else, you could also update your BIOS without using Windows, directly from the BIOS startup, when you turn on the computer, right after the Asus splash screen. The complete procedure is described there: https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1008859/. Look at EZ Flash 2.

Here is my short and approximate introduction to this process, just in case you couldn't access the official page:
    • Download the BIOS update from ASUS here: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/Eee_PC_X10 ... _Download/
    • Unzip the file and copy it to an USB disk.
    • Power on or restart your computer and immediately press and hold 'Esc' key.
    • The small BIOS menu should appear. Use the arrow keys to move through selections (the touchpad or mouse doesn't work here). Select "Enter setup" and press 'Enter' key.
    • Using the arrow keys, move to the 'Advanced' tab. There, select "Start Easy Flash".
    • Look at the text displayed on your screen to figure out how to select the BIOS driver you previously downloaded, unzipped and copied on your USB stick. Start this Flash operation. It takes just a few seconds or minutes. After this, you can restart your netbook.
    I never tried this. I did it from Windows instead, to get a more familiar interface. That was a few years ago. But this BIOS update made from the BIOS itself promises to be "Easy". But there is something you need to know first: this BIOS is responsible for basic HDD operations and other essential things. If something goes wrong with the BIOS, your computer could no longer be able to just power on and be really, totally dead! So please be cautious with these fundamental BIOS upgrades. It is somewhat scary, but on the other hand, this operation is performed by a factory installed Asus utility. So i guess this utility will check things before starting the BIOS update.

• • •
  3. Maybe you should try with the same Mint version as me: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (32 bit). Currently using Kernel: 4.15.0-50-generic i686 (32 bit)
  4. My computer also gets the open-source intel-microcode update during boot. To achieve this, simply make sure the intel-microcode (open-source) is selected in your Driver Manager, then restart.
I hope i did not forget anything!
Last edited by sebastjava on Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

P.S.: Forum rules...

Post by sebastjava »

P.S.: I am making an exception here. Forum rules: Please don't add support questions to tutorials, start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead.
Lloydbiker
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lloydbiker »

For those interested in my 'Consistent Glitch':
With the fine help of 'Sebastjava' I updated my 'Kernel' from 4.10.0-38 to 4.15.0-50
End of 'on charge' sensitivity!
And, the 'pre-boot splash' came up full bright every time, without any other changes.
Merci, mon ami!
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sebastjava »

I had a slight doubt as to the accuracy of my memories. So i tried a LinuxMint-19.2-mate-64bit once again, just to make sure. I got this message saying my computer is a 32-bit one and couldn't run a 64-bit kernel:
This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU. But only detected an i686 CPU.
Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.
So this confirms you can only install a 32-bit system on this Asus Eee PC X101CH. I still recommend this one:
Linux Mint 18.3 "Sylvia" - MATE (32-bit)
capitansevilla

Post by capitansevilla »

Hello.
I´ve just registered to notice that there is a modified BIOS that enables the 64bit architecture on this machine.

I managed to install ir yesterday and I have installed an Sparky Linux 64bit (the installation ended too late, so I did not prove anything, but it ended OK).

You can download the BIOS on this post (you have to register):
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread- ... 64-Request

I hope we can make this little computer to work the best as it can.

Regards!
(I am not an english speaker, so sorry if I made any grammatical mistake).
sebastjava
Level 5
Level 5

BIOS modding

Post by sebastjava »

Thanks capitansevilla. This sounds very interesting. I guess some applications would be available in newer versions?
Examples:
  • Darktable (a digital darkroom application) has serious problems in 32-bit while promising to be great in 64-bit, but you need to plug in a bigger screen for this picture editing software, like my 1440X900 px DELL display, for example.
  • You could get Chrome instead of Chromium, if you prefer.
  • Etc.
On the other hand:

CAUTION: The BIOS you are about to change is the "hardware kernel", called firmware. It is a very essential part of your computer. If something goes wrong with it, your computer could no longer be able to access the hard drive and other peripheral devices. Your computer would be totally out of order. AND you could no longer go back to your good BIOS since you need an operational BIOS to change... this same BIOS.

ALSO: I've read somewhere that a 32-bit system consumes a bit less ram. The ram is very limited on this machine: 1GB pre-installed and you cannot upgrade, so i hope this 64-bit BIOS and 64-bit system to be installed would not use too much ram.

I am not trying this right now, maybe later. I am not saying this is bad, i am just saying i am not sure this is good. If someone else tries this, it would be appreciated to get some feedback. And if your computer gets totally broken, please go to another internet access to tell us this is dangerous, lethal... Thanks!

EDIT: I've read the feedback from people on this https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread- ... 64-Request. Apparently, everything works fine. But i am still worried: will i be able to go back to the original manufacturer's BIOS if needed? Does it consume more ram? How much?

P.S.: If everything works fine, so why would Asus had disabled the 64-bit???

Return to “Tutorials”