Linux running my tv and my fridge?

Chat about Linux in general
carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Linux running my tv and my fridge?

Post by carum carvi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:14 pm

The Chinese are about to launch smart tv's with a new OS in the fall. Huawei claims it is an OS that will be able to run on everything: tablets, computers, smartphones, smart tv's and other InternetOfThings. It will be open source. Based on Sailfish / Linux? Please help me out about this question, because I have read so many articles about it, that I forgot what the original OS Huawei is basing this new Harmony OS on?

In any case they claim it will definitely be open source. Does this mean that Linux programmers can make a fork that will run on my tv? A LinuxMint smart TV? Or a LinuxMint smart fridge? Do Linux programmers think/fantasize/experiment with a Linux open source version for EVERY kind of hardware that needs an OS? It' s the first time I heard about an OS that will run on EVERYTHING!

I got this idea by an article about Android, which is based on Linux, and is basically open source, although in practice any Android phone is closed source, but you still CAN tweak it yourself if you want to and you know what you are doing. Is this new open source Harmony OS created by Huawei simply going to be a constricted alternative to Android or are the floodgates of new possibilities for open source programming opening up because of this Harmony OS that supposedly will be able to run on EVERYTHING?

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Linux running my tv and my fridge?

Post by michael louwe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:15 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:14 pm
I got this idea by an article about Android, which is based on Linux, and is basically open source, although in practice any Android phone is closed source, but you still CAN tweak it yourself if you want to and you know what you are doing.
AFAIK, we need to know that Google Inc sponsors the Android Open Source Project/AOSP(= Google invites contribution from the Linux developer community), from which Google-Android is based and then trademarked by Google Inc(= no other company can sell Android-branded phones). Google Inc licenses her trademarked Android to the OEMs for free with certain conditions, eg they must use proprietary Google Play Services and Play Store, practice Android Anti-Fragmentation Policy(= eg cannot also sell phones with Android forks), provide downstream support for Android updates/upgrades, etc.

Any Linux developer or company is free to fork Android from AOSP, like how Chromium and Firefox have been forked numerous times but the Android trademark cannot be used. The above policy of Google Inc imposed on her OEM partners practically guarantees the failure of any Android forks in the mass consumer market, eg CyanogenMod/LineageOS, Amazon Fire OS, OxygenOS, etc.

There are other mobile OS based on Linux, and not based on Android, eg the half-dead Ubuntu Touch, the dead Mozilla Firefox OS, the on-life-support Jolla SailfishOS, Samsung Tizen OS, newly-born Librem 5, etc.

Huawei's new Harmony OS or HongMeng OS or Ark OS is most likely just another Android fork from AOSP, which Huawei will have to resort to since the US ban on Huawei's mobile gadgets is still in force = Huawei will not be able to use Google-Android and M$-Windows.
....... Google-Android can already run smart TVs, fridges, cars or other appliances, VR headsets, IoTs, netbooks, etc. Huawei's Android fork will be similar.

P S - The China government has banned Google Play Store for censorship purposes. So, Huawei phones in China use Huawei App Store with many local apps in Mandarin. Huawei phones sold outside China have the more popular Google Play Store.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 am

Your Smart TV probably already runs on software based on the Linux Kernel. You router almost certainly does. And if your Fridge is Smart it will likely have a Linux kernel in there somewhere.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:15 am

Linux ate all the cheese in my house. Not that there was a lot, mind you, but I had to go to the store and buy another bag of shredded mozzarella because of it. :o
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Ubuntu 19.10 on a MBP 8,1 and dreaming about my return to Linux Mint.

Also looking for a new job.

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Hoser Rob » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:32 am

Linux has been popular in embedded systems for years, the ECU running your car engine may very well use it. Nothing all that new here really.

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:07 pm

michael louwe wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:15 pm
AFAIK, we need to know that Google Inc sponsors the Android Open Source Project/AOSP(= Google invites contribution from the Linux developer community), from which Google-Android is based and then trademarked by Google Inc(= no other company can sell Android-branded phones).

Huawei's new Harmony OS or HongMeng OS or Ark OS is most likely just another Android fork from AOSP, which Huawei will have to resort to since the US ban on Huawei's mobile gadgets is still in force = Huawei will not be able to use Google-Android and M$-Windows.

....... Google-Android can already run smart TVs, fridges, cars or other appliances, VR headsets, IoTs, netbooks, etc. Huawei's Android fork will be similar.
I didnt know Google Android was running on fridges and cars already. Beware, I am rather slow with the latest trends, but I kinda got excited by the sudden thought that Linux could run on everything. But it basically does already...
smurphos wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:24 am
Your Smart TV probably already runs on software based on the Linux Kernel. You router almost certainly does. And if your Fridge is Smart it will likely have a Linux kernel in there somewhere.
Hoser Rob wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:32 am
Linux has been popular in embedded systems for years, the ECU running your car engine may very well use it. Nothing all that new here really.
I am a complete noob, know nothing about programming AT ALL. :D Thanks all, for taking time to explain everything to me! If I understand it correctly Google Android is already 1 OS that runs on almost everything. So most likely LinuxMint Cinnamon wont be running my fridge anytime soon via bluetooth or Wifi, because either there is already an anonymous Linux kernel running my smart tv/fridge or a linux kernel with the Google Android trademark is attached to it. Huawei's Harmony OS / Hongmeng OS / Jolla Sailfish Linux will probably be more of the same, only not trademarked by Google this time around but by Huawei...

Juicy endnote: the billion dollar fine Google got from the European Union, was based upon a courtcase that was supported from the beginning by the makers of Jolla Sailfish (Linux kernel).

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:27 pm

carum carvi wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:07 pm
I didnt know Google Android was running on fridges and cars already.
Embedded Android on smart fridges, smart TVs, smart speakers, smart displays, etc(using either Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa or M$ Cortana); and Android Auto.

GNU/Linux software is very malleable, Canonical Ltd developers created server Ubuntu, desktop Ubuntu and mobile Ubuntu Touch. If the LM Team has the same resources, they could do the same as Canonical Ltd and Google Inc. M$-Windows can do the same thing. World market success is another thing, eg dead Win 10 Mobile and half-dead Ubuntu Touch.

Return to “Chat about Linux”