gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Get involved, create or participate in a project.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: gm10's Linux Mint Tools PPA

Post by catweazel » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:50 am

BenTrabetere wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:20 pm
gm10 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:07 am
Good thing I have you guys as my beta testers.
The 1:5.7.9 update went through without any problems for me. Is this a bug that needs to be reported? :)
If it didn't produce miles of esoteric terminal code, yes.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:16 am

gm10 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:28 pm
No, actually looking at the screenshots closely, what you changed was change your system monospace font to a non-monospace font.
Uhm, nope. I wouldn't make such a change because I know what we talked about earlier and I know monospaced fonts exist for a reason. All I did was change font-size in one place, not font-family or other attributes. So unless something in the system (i.e. the original Mint-X theme itself) doesn't take into account the system-wide font settings presented below, there must be a bug somewhere else:
Screenshot from 2019-08-14 10-07-10.png

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:27 am

Drugwash wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:16 am
So unless something in the system (i.e. the original Mint-X theme itself) doesn't take into account the system-wide font settings presented below,
Bingo. I can reproduce with Mint-X. Now that's annoying...
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:51 am

BTW, yesterday I just incidentally read that poll topic by smurphos about theming where you chimed in with some valid points. Linux GUI and theming are completely f.ed up, which leads to issues like this one.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:02 am

Ok, next update I shall calculate the width based on the width of the character x (as a compromise, W was just way too wide) to work around broken themes like Mint-X:

Not broken themes (i.e. themes that do not override your monospace font) won't be affected, here the fit will continue to be exact, e.g. with Mint-Y:

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:09 am

Well, that would be a workaround. Thank you.
Any idea what exactly in the Mint-X theme does that? I only see one declaration of font-family in cinnamon.css. I'd like to fix at least my custom theme.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 am

Drugwash wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:09 am
Any idea what exactly in the Mint-X theme does that? I only see one declaration of font-family in cinnamon.css. I'd like to fix at least my custom theme.
You're welcome. And I have no idea, but I didn't check and don't want to. I repro'd this on MATE btw, so it's not Cinnamon-specific. Maybe our resident theming deity smurphos can help you out. Let's be a little rude and ping him: :P
smurphos wrote:

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:31 am

gm10 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 am
Maybe our resident theming deity smurphos can help you out.
Hopefully. I suspect there are more issues with the Mint-X theme, I stumbled into one of them some time ago, with unreadable white text on an almost-white background in a dropdown list, while the first one was another unreadable dark-grey text on black semi-transparent background in a Nemo popup - opened a thread with it and nobody ever answered. :(

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:36 am

Drugwash wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:31 am
I suspect there are more issues with the Mint-X theme, I stumbled into one of them some time ago,
Feel free to report them all (one issue per bug): https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-themes/issues

Drugwash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Drugwash » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:47 am

I got beef with github, they keep pestering me with verification code e-mails on each login just because I have the good habit of clearing all cookies at browser exit. So I try to avoid getting there, more so when I know who owns it now.
Yes, I got in contact with them and a nice fellow named Anna said - in a very politically correct way - that basically they don't give a rat's a$$, they care about their own security not about users' comfort. And when it comes to "M$ way or the highway" you betcha I choose the highway without blinking.
Enough off-topic now. :oops:

t42
Level 1
Level 1

Post by t42 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:08 am

On the "kernel flavor" mode
gm10 wrote:
At best you can forget you switched flavours, I suppose. But the queue confirmation and mass removal confirmation windows always show the flavour with the version no matter what to avoid confusion there.
"forget", that was my concern, especially because the flavour switch retains its last session value. (I'm unsure whether it's worth to set the 'generic' after reboot...) Indeed, the flavour is indicated in the batch mode, but it is no so when you click the "install" button.
Of course these are small things, the flavour feature was unexpected and is amazing.
Cueued.png
Install-Button.png
-=t42=-

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:14 am

t42 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:08 am
"forget", that was my concern, especially because the flavour switch retains its last session value. (I'm unsure whether it's worth to set the 'generic' after reboot...)
No, most certainly not, there are people who actually use a different flavor, you wouldn't want them to get switched back to generic after the next reboot. There is quite a bit of logic tied to the flavour selection, including which kernel meta package gets added to your update list (because yes, that happens automatically if you do not have one installed, to ensure you always receive the correct updates).
t42 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:08 am
Indeed, the flavour is indicated in the batch mode, but it is no so when you click the "install" button.
Oh, I have no problem at all with adding it to that confirmation window (I'll do that with the next update). I'm just slightly hesitant to add it to the list itself, that's all.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:59 am

gm10 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 am
Drugwash wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:09 am
You're welcome. And I have no idea, but I didn't check and don't want to. I repro'd this on MATE btw, so it's not Cinnamon-specific. Maybe our resident theming deity smurphos can help you out. Let's be a little rude and ping him: :P
It isn't cinnamon.css. Can't be sure but I suspect the issue might be Mint-X's gtk3 theme lacking any definition for .monospace{}

Mint-Y (and every other gtk theme on my system) has

Code: Select all

.monospace {
  font-family: Monospace; }
Will test before applying the next minutupdate update
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:20 am

smurphos wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:59 am
It isn't cinnamon.css. Can't be sure but I suspect the issue might be Mint-X's gtk3 theme lacking any definition for .monospace{}

Mint-Y (and every other gtk theme on my system) has

Code: Select all

.monospace {
  font-family: Monospace; }
See, I knew you were the right person to ask. Excellent detective work. I can confirm that adding the above .monospace definition to Mint-X will allow mintupdate to show a monospace font with that theme.

I'm not even sure who to blame here. It would make every sense in the world to me that if a theme does not define it, the system-defined monospace font would be used automatically by GTK. Since that is apparently not the case, is the theme to blame or should I supply the CSS myself in my application if I want to use monospace? Nah, I'll blame GTK as I always do. :lol:

PS: So what have we learned today? That GTK3 themes must contain all of the style classes defined in: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable ... text.other

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:36 am

gm10 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:20 am
smurphos wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:59 am
or should I supply the CSS myself in my application if I want to use monospace?
Just as an update for those interested, of course that's exactly what I will be doing, so Mint-X will be using a monospace font as well.

I will however inject this into the existing style sheet in a way that existing theme choices will not be overwritten, so should you be using a theme that explicitly wanted to define a non-monospace font as the monospace font (as I originally thought was the problem here) then that is what will continue to happen. I don't know if any such themes exist but just in case the other fix above stays in place, and those themes would then look as in that Mint-X screenshot I posted above.

Thanks again to smurphos for identifying the issue with the theme.

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:57 pm

gm10 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:36 am
Thanks again to smurphos for identifying the issue with the theme.
You are welcome - I'll chuck in a PR against mint-themes at some point as-well to correct the issue in a future release.

The lesson for the day is a good one... :)
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:37 pm

smurphos wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:57 pm
The lesson for the day is a good one... :)
Indeed. Although a shame that we have to fill our heads with quirks like that. ;)

By the way, do you also do icons? I'll be slimming down the toolbar in mintupdate and I want to also get rid of that mail reply icon in use for the install button. Looks fine with my theme:
but that icon looks vertically misaligned with themes that use the GNOME icons, like the Mint themes, e.g. Mint-Y:

How bad is it? Would trigger me but I think I'm slightly OCD in that respect. :P Plus I have no idea what that GNOME icon is meant to represent.

Or maybe I should just drop the icons altogether...

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:32 am

So that's system-software-install-symbolic?

You could ship the nice looking icon (from papirus?) with mintupdate - rename it so it's got unique namespace and dump it in hicolor during installation.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:36 am

smurphos wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:32 am
So that's system-software-install-symbolic?

You could ship the nice looking icon (from papirus?) with mintupdate - rename it so it's got unique namespace and dump it in hicolor during installation.
Sorry, I should have mentioned the name. Flat Remix but Papirus has the same shape, different color. I think it's originally from Paper.

I had considered shipping my own icon but then I'd have to do all 4 and do I really want to override other themes for that? E.g. MATE themes do not use symbolics so I'd totally break their current character:

At the end of the day it's the user's choice what icon theme they want to use, I shouldn't mess with that. I think I'd even rather fix or replace the misaligned GNOME icon instead (slightly nasty to mess with other package's files but it's clearly a bug, so...).

edit: nvm, I will replace the full set of icons after all. But only for the toolbar, so the edit menu will still use the themed icon. I don't usually like overriding themes but it's just the cleanest solution for what I want to do.

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:31 am

gm10 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:36 am
do I really want to override other themes for that?
umm, YEAH !!! i spent months polishing and editing and creating my own icons only to find out they weren't all being used. the desktop wants one set, the application wants another, the theme doesn't know which way to go and then developers decide hey i'm just going to take away the users ability to have their own icons in the file manager toolbar and make some ugly symbolic universal pictures that everyone will have and no one will be able to change it. that last part was directed at the XFCE developers and the ugly mess they made of thunar, not sure how it is in 4.14 but 4.13 turned me off xfce simply for the fact i can't use my own icons in the file manager

if you clean up a theme will you post it in your ppa? and thanx gm10 for the work you do, and the same goes to that smurphos guy :)

Return to “Community Projects”