Forum rules
Before you post please read this
dutchydutch
Level 1
Level 1

USB drive not recognized

Post by dutchydutch » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Dear users,

Somehow my USB drives are not automatically recognized by Linux mint. And if they do, it will take ages to show up, sometimes even 30 minutes or more. So let’s start at the beginning:

I have a fresh install of the latest version of Ubuntu mint. I’ve run all updates and did no tweaking to the system.

When I insert a USB it isn’t auto mounting. Usually you’ll have to go to the disk settings, but my drive isn’t visible in the disks application, nor the media folder.

My next steps:

I’ve opened up the terminal and wrote: Sudo fdisk -l.
The drive was not showing.

Then I’ve tried the following command in the terminal: lsusb. And there it is. The terminal is showing me that a toshiba usb drive is seen by Linux. The drive is still not visible in fdisk, or the disks application. Also Gparted doesn’t start, otherwise I would check this out too.

Why is my usb drive not automatically recognized? And when it does (once in a while) it will take 30 minutes or more. The drive is new and working on other operating systems. It’s formated to FAT32.

Can someone help me out?

Thanks in advance,

deck_luck
Level 4
Level 4

Re: USB drive not recognized

Post by deck_luck » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:44 pm

Have you tried using a different USB port? How many USB devices are connected to your computer. For troubleshooting purposes it would be a good idea to minimum configure the USB devices by removing all USB devices except external USB disk.

Do not over look the obvious of potential disk drive or interface problem. Maybe the USB port has a faulty power output causing the drive to malfunction or the USB interface is faulty. You can run logs gui application and click the hardware option. Alternately, you can run the journalctl -ae command from the terminal and scroll back looking for disk and USB related event after you plugged your USB drive up. Are you using a USB disk drive dock or a direct connect disk drive with a USB to SATA bridge?
🐧Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE
💡Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. ✝️

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:15 pm

Please post make and model of your PC.

I have seen many USB ports that are damaged from bent pins or broken plastic tab or excessive power draws (particularly on USB2).
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

dutchydutch
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dutchydutch » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:46 am

It’s a 14 year old Dell laptop, model studio 1737. I’ve solved the issue by formatting the usb drive with the terminal by using the following code: sudo mkfs.ntfs/dev/sdb

After using the command the usb drive is mounting and usable in the disks application etc. Somehow my usb drive wasn’t usable after formatting the disk in windows to FAT32

The laptop is still 100% fine since I’ve run full diagnostics on the system.

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:18 am

Wondered if the USB drives were formatted in exFAT (FAT64). I remembered that when you format USB in Windows, it just gives you the option of FAT without specifying FAT16, FAT32 or FAT64.

You will need to run sudo apt-get install exfat-fuse exfat-utils to enable exFAT support in Linux.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

deck_luck
Level 4
Level 4

Post by deck_luck » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:35 pm

dutchydutch wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:19 pm

My next steps:

I’ve opened up the terminal and wrote: Sudo fdisk -l.
The drive was not showing.

Then I’ve tried the following command in the terminal: lsusb. And there it is. The terminal is showing me that a toshiba usb drive is seen by Linux. The drive is still not visible in fdisk, or the disks application. Also Gparted doesn’t start, otherwise I would check this out too.
Your symptoms of not being able to read the partition table does seem to be file system related, but instead it seems to be more hardware related. (Update: Well, I just noticed you did a mkfs on the entire drive without any partitioning. So, was the drive originally setup without a partition table and a whole disk file system? If so that would explain why "fdisk - l" was not working.)
🐧Linux Mint 19.1 XFCE
💡Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime. ✝️

Return to “Mounting Partitions”