"Solved" Running Mint from USB pendrive, losing settings on reboot

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rkildu
Level 1
Level 1

"Solved" Running Mint from USB pendrive, losing settings on reboot

Post by rkildu » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:11 pm

I am running Linux Mint 19 64 bit, on a Dell Inspiron Laptop with Windows 10 loaded. I am booting and Loading Linux Mint and running it on USB Stick.

Are there any limitations or functions lost in doing so. So far I have made a few changes IN DESKTOP AND NETWORK LOGON. When I shutdown and reboot later I find that these changes are gone. Had a local guy help me get the machine booting from USB Yesterday. I am that new.

Am I doing something wrong or Am I not doing something right.

Thanks.
Last edited by rkildu on Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sleeper12
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Running Mint from USB pendrive, losing settings on reboot

Post by sleeper12 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:06 pm

That's normal, any changes you make to Mint while running from a usb stick won't be saved. Basically, that's a test mode. If everything runs to your liking, you should then install Mint either alone or as dual boot with Windows.

decrepit
Level 3
Level 3

Post by decrepit » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:16 pm

Somewhere here there's instructions how to make a "persistent" usb drive, that will save settings and some data I think.

But unless you really need to carry a portable operating system around with you, as Sleeper12 says, just use the usb as a test bed to make sure everything runs smoothly on your computer, and see if the distro suits your needs. When satisfied it is, then install it, usually as a dual boot option initially so you still have windows if you need it.

sleeper12
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sleeper12 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:21 pm

Yes, you can make a persistent usb drive, but that may be a bit much for a newbie. I've never done it, so I'd be a newbie at that myself. :lol:

RIH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RIH » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:26 pm

This is a 'how to' for doing it from a Windows base.
https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi-bo ... sb-2202084

This is a 'how to' doing it from a Debian base.
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/03/c ... -with.html
Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-65-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:01 pm

RIH wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:26 pm
This is a 'how to' for doing it from a Windows base.
https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi-bo ... sb-2202084

This is a 'how to' doing it from a Debian base.
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/03/c ... -with.html
The second link is on target but not the first. IMHO, the best Windows tool for creating a persistent drive is Universal USB Installer from Pendrive Linux.

Understand, rkildu, a persistent drive is only really suited for testing purposes. Although it will let you save settings, your WiFi login, etc., and even install a few apps to see whether they'll suit your needs, it lacks many important features like the Update Manager. For long term use, you want to do either dual boot (see Mint Installation Guide) or full install to a USB hard drive (how to here).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

rkildu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rkildu » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:48 pm

OK all, thanks for the information. It appears that I will have to do a full install sooner than I expected. I found an "Install Linux Mint" item on the main menu. a little while ago so I started it up and it seemed to take me into a full install I terminated when it got to the partition step. Not ready for that yet. Is it safe to assume that this is the best way to get into the install? It is rather convenient.

Question, To get Linux to boot and load from the USB stick we had to make changes to the boot sequence settings. If I decide to do the full load do I have to back those changes out, before or after? There is supposed to be a "Boot Repair" something on the USB stick, would I use that? and How?

I plan to play around with the USB boot a bit longer, and visit some of the loading tutorials first, so I understand the procedure better.

Rod

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:55 pm

rkildu wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:48 pm
OK all, thanks for the information. It appears that I will have to do a full install sooner than I expected. I found an "Install Linux Mint" item on the main menu. a little while ago so I started it up and it seemed to take me into a full install I terminated when it got to the partition step. Not ready for that yet. Is it safe to assume that this is the best way to get into the install? It is rather convenient.
Yes, that is the best way to do Mint installation.
rkildu wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:48 pm
Question, To get Linux to boot and load from the USB stick we had to make changes to the boot sequence settings. If I decide to do the full load do I have to back those changes out, before or after? There is supposed to be a "Boot Repair" something on the USB stick, would I use that? and How?

I plan to play around with the USB boot a bit longer, and visit some of the loading tutorials first, so I understand the procedure better.

Rod
It depends on how you plan to use the USB Mint installation. If it is to be use on the same PC all the time, then making permanent change in legacy BIOS/UEFI boot order would save having to change boot order every time you boot into Mint. If it is to be use on different PC, then changing the one time boot setting would be better.

Boot repair tool is for when GRUB is damaged, it was recently added to the GRUB menu.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

martyfender
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martyfender » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:30 pm

1 1/2 to 2 years ago I created a persistent USB drive on a 32gb drive with the Universal USB installer in Windows. The trick is to choose NTFS as the format so a large, persistent drive can be created, instead of fat32. If you use the fat32 option, you are limited in the size of the persistent partition you can create. You just need to leave enough room for the Linux ISO to be copied by the installer. My first attempt failed with no warning message as to why it failed is given to the user. On the second attempt, I believe I used 25-26 for the persistent size, just to be safe.
The bad thing about using this method is it takes hours to create in Windows. I mean like 6 plus hours. I did this initially with Linux Mint Mate 18.1. About the only thing I couldn't update with the Update Manager was the kernel. I eventually updated it to 18.2 and 183 with no problems. Eventually, though, I did run low on disk space, with everything I had installed and downloaded and copied to the drive. There may have been other things that were not updated, but the Update Manager would show up to date after running updates

Recently I formatted the drive and and used mkusb to recreate a persistent drive on it, with Linux Mint Mate 19.1 and upgraded it to Linux Mint Mate 19.2 and it runs very well. Of course, you must have a Linux install to use mkusb. I used this guide to do it:

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/c ... ash-drive/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/mkusb

I recently installed an internal ssd and used that USB stick's installer to format and install 19.1 to that ssd and now have a more permanent solution, now updated to 19.2. Actually, I orginally connected the drive externally with a sata to usb to install it, then after 2 weeks got around to moving it internally and it boots and works great and is very fast. The only known issue in using it externally was that it would not resume from sleep properly, I assume because of the sata to usb adapter not being able to handle resume properly. Resume with the drive mounted internally, connected directly to a sata port, works perfectly.Resume has always worked properly from my persistent installs to USB sticks, also.

And although I mostly agree that running from a USB stick long term may not be the best solution in the long run, It worked very fast and very well for me for a long time. I did use a Sandisk USB 3.0 drive on a USB 2.0 Machine and it still seems faster than my older, bootable, 2.0 thumb drives.

rkildu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rkildu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:25 pm

This may be the wrong place, but I just finished installing Linux, after many bumps, it completed all the way to the reboot step. When it said reboot I removed the USB stick, the screen blanked, and when I did reboot it went to Windows fine. After that I tried to boot to Linux. But it went to windows again. I then rebooted from the USB stick which took me back to Live mode.

I don't know if I have a successful load of not. Have I seriously messed up? Do I need to go completely through the install again?

Rod

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:33 pm

rkildu wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:25 pm
This may be the wrong place, but I just finished installing Linux, after many bumps, it completed all the way to the reboot step. When it said reboot I removed the USB stick, the screen blanked, and when I did reboot it went to Windows fine. After that I tried to boot to Linux. But it went to windows again. I then rebooted from the USB stick which took me back to Live mode.

I don't know if I have a successful load of not. Have I seriously messed up? Do I need to go completely through the install again?

Rod
Might be a UEFI implementation issue, please boot with Mint USB and run below command in Terminal (ctrl+atl+t) to output system and partitions information and post results here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz

lsblk -p -o +FSTYPE
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

rkildu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rkildu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:18 pm

athi,

I don't know what I just did, I just "went monkey see, monkey do" But it seems to have worked !

I am signed in and at the Welcome Screen for the second time. I rebooted into Windows successfully and back to Linux successfully!

Thank You VERY MUCH !

Rod

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: "Solved" Running Mint from USB pendrive, losing settings on reboot

Post by athi » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:25 pm

You are welcome, I guess. Not really sure what you did and how I helped.

When you boot, did you see GRUB and can you select Mint or Win10 from the choices in GRUB?

rkildu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rkildu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:36 pm

You are a bit over my head, don't know about GRUB, but if I hit F12 to go to boot menu I have choices to go either way. Is that normal?
I have a lot of learning to do, new language, new terms.

Rod

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:04 pm

rkildu wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:36 pm
You are a bit over my head, don't know about GRUB, but if I hit F12 to go to boot menu I have choices to go either way. Is that normal?
I have a lot of learning to do, new language, new terms.

Rod
OK, you are booting from the f12 UEFI boot option menu. As long as you are OK with this setup you are good to go. Normal setup is booting to GRUB and select O/S from there or let it boot to the default item.
grub.jpeg
GRUB is the Linux boot loader. When setup correctly, you will boot into a GRUB menu page that have listings for O/S and some utilities (see above sample) that you can select from. Looks like you have the Win10/Mint dual boot working and booting from the UEFI boot menu. If you want to use GRUB, please boot into Mint, run below command in Terminal to update GRUB, reboot, enter BIOS setup and change UEFI boot order to set Mint/Ubuntu before Win10 in boot order. You should then boot into the GRUB menu.

sudo update-grub

rkildu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rkildu » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:01 pm

I ran the command prompt, it appeared to work.

Stuck on he SETUP changes, not sure what or how to change ?

Boot looks like this:

>LEGACY BOOT:
>UEF 1 BOOT:

SECURE BOOT <disabled>
Load Legacy Option Rom <enabled>
Boot List Option <UEF 1>

Add Boot Option
Delete a Boot Option
View Boot option Properties

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:25 pm

Expand UEFI boot and there should be a listing of bootable devices. Move Mint/Ubuntu to top of list.

Edit: if you cannot find how to change UEFI boot order, post the make/model of laptop and I might be able to find instructions for you.

rkildu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rkildu » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:17 pm

OK, I am in unknown territory here.

I am in setup at the boot menu. You said to expand UEFI Boot. Are you referring to the first line below Legacy Boot Title, or the entry or the BootList option in the group 2 lines below?

I can't seem to do anything to the Legacy Boot title.
I can highlight the Boot List Option and I get a Nastygram message saying I will cause he machine to explode and crash and burn. Since this seems to do something I am guessing that is what I need to change. Am I correct? I stopped at that point, I am being very cautious here..

Rod

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:40 pm

rkildu wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:17 pm
OK, I am in unknown territory here.

I am in setup at the boot menu. You said to expand UEFI Boot. Are you referring to the first line below Legacy Boot Title, or the entry or the BootList option in the group 2 lines below?

I can't seem to do anything to the Legacy Boot title.
I can highlight the Boot List Option and I get a Nastygram message saying I will cause he machine to explode and crash and burn. Since this seems to do something I am guessing that is what I need to change. Am I correct? I stopped at that point, I am being very cautious here..

Rod
If you are satisfied with using F12 to select O/S to boot from, you can just do that and not make any changes in BIOS setup.

For what it is worth, the warning is most likely along the line of "if you make changes, you may not be able to boot operating system." which is normal. In order to not use the F12 to choose boot O/S, you will have to change the boot order because from all indications Windows is set to boot before Mint.

rkildu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rkildu » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:11 pm

athi,

I guess I did it almost right?

I went ahead and changed the boot sequence, no sparks or fire... and the machine now auto-magically now boots to Linux and all is well. I can reboot and using the F12 option I can select to Windows Boot and that still works.

However I never saw anything of "GRUB". Is Grub supposed to just pop up or do I need to do something manually?

Thanks
Rod

Return to “Newbie Questions”