Advice please on :- How to remove Intrusive ads on Android

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Boca
Level 5
Level 5

Advice please on :- How to remove Intrusive ads on Android

Post by Boca »

Hi,

have started getting full-screen 30s ads on my Samsung A5.

These MAY have started after downloading what3words; but uninstalling it has made no difference

I hear horror stories about "ad cleaners" so am looking for recommendations of what to do.

Cheers, Tony
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrGrimm

Re: HOw to remove Intrusive ads on Android

Post by MrGrimm »

i rarely get ads anymore. the only apps i have for this are adblock plus and all-in-one toolbox.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Boca wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:04 am have started getting full-screen 30s ads on my Samsung A5.
Not that I'm getting any ads on my phone (some games have ads, but nothing outside of that) but how do you get rid of them? I thought you were going to give instructions.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Boca wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:04 am I hear horror stories about "ad cleaners" so am looking for recommendations of what to do.
Backup your treasured stuff, factory reset, and don't install any software from the app store that contains ads.
Last edited by karlchen on Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: <mod> Note: it is NOT as simple as only installing clean apps, because e.g. apps may pull in "additional functionality" later on. </mod>
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

catweazel wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:51 am
Boca wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:04 am I hear horror stories about "ad cleaners" so am looking for recommendations of what to do.
Backup your treasured stuff, factory reset, and don't install any software from the app store that contains ads.

not that simple and you know it. not all apps are clear about their ad policies.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MrGrimm wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:17 am not that simple and you know it. not all apps are clear about their ad policies.
It is that simple. All it takes is reading the words "contains ads".
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

catweazel wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:30 am
MrGrimm wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:17 am not that simple and you know it. not all apps are clear about their ad policies.
It is that simple. All it takes is reading the words "contains ads".
again NO IT"S NOT that simple. again not all apps are that forthcoming. even though the app store supposedly vets everything PLENTY of apps get by them that do contain ads and don't disclose that FACT to google or the enduser.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to remove Intrusive ads on Android

Post by karlchen »

This time I have to agree to MrGrimm's point of view explicitly.
Keeping your Android phone or tablet clean is not as simple as only installing clean apps, because e.g. apps may pull in "additional functionality" later on. And again and again apps make their way into the app store although they hold spyware and will display ads, because their developers found ways of getting around the Google app store checks.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

karlchen wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:57 am This time I have to agree to MrGrimm's point of view explicitly.
Keeping your Android phone or tablet clean is not as simple as only installing clean apps, because e.g. apps may pull in "additional functionality" later on.
I have no adds on my Android 9 phone, and I follow only that simple rule. My wife doesn't follow that rule and her phone is clagged to the point that it needs cleaning every few months, and a repeat lecture :)

Anyway, it's detracting from the OP's question so I'll leave it there.

Cheers.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Boca wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:04 am have started getting full-screen 30s ads on my Samsung A5.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/ambas ... lprit.html - Full screen ads. How to find the culprit.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-o ... p-ads.html
Boca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Boca »

Portreve wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:39 am
Not that I'm getting any ads on my phone (some games have ads, but nothing outside of that) but how do you get rid of them? I thought you were going to give instructions.
Sorry, with hindsight, the subject is ambiguous.... I'll edit it.... thanks.
trapperjohn

Re: Advice please on :- How to remove Intrusive ads on Android

Post by trapperjohn »

Netguard.
Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

trapperjohn wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:35 pm Netguard.
Optionally block ads using a hosts file (not available if installed from the Play store)

https://github.com/M66B/NetGuard
i'd forgotten about this. it's a good option.
vansloneker

Post by vansloneker »

I installed Blokada on my Android phone. Make sure to only install the real version, not from third parties.

Return to “Open Chat”