Hello World of Linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
biged46us

Hello World of Linux

Post by biged46us »

My name is Ed, I'm 72 years old and live in Virginia (USA). I've been using Linux for about a month having grown tired of Windows 10 quirks (80 minutes to install Update 1903...phooey) and business model change to Windows as a "service'. I'm also concerned about privacy and how the new business model seems to forego that.

My main laptop is an HP m7 which I dual boot, there are just some Windows applications I cannot leave. Through the help of this forum I was able to resolve a dual boot issue and the response to my question was quick and thorough and got me up and running.

While I'm only using the graphical GUI, I'm planning to diving into learning how to use terminal commands...WISH ME LUCK. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Hello World of Linux

Post by Moem »

Good luck Ed, and welcome! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Ed Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi biged46us,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
biged46us wrote:I'm also concerned about privacy and how the new business model seems to forego that.
There are many good posts in this forum on privacy especially those related to online banking.
A quick overview
- Don't use your real name for your computer host name or for almost anything else. Easy to change if you did.
- Use good passwords which are 17-20+ mixed case characters with some numbers and maybe some symbols (no spaces or quotes). Use a password manager to store your sensitive passwords and to create them like "KeePassXC".
- Change your local ISP connection's default DNS server IP addresses to those from a secure DNS provider like Cloudflare.
- Use a VPN provider's servers to connect to the Internet which changes your public (wan) IP address and encrypts everything you do on the Internet.
- Add security related browser extensions and add-ons to all your browsers like an adblocker (ublock origin) if your browser does not already have one, privacy badger or privacy protector plus, Disconnect, anti-fingerprinting or fingerprint masker, etc...
- Never open attachments from anyone you do not know.
biged46us wrote:My main laptop is an HP m7 which I dual boot, there are just some Windows applications I cannot leave. Through the help of this forum I was able to resolve a dual boot issue and the response to my question was quick and thorough and got me up and running.
A lot of people think they have MS Windows only applications that require them to keep MS Windows and in a few rare cases this may be true usually hardware related, but I have found that there are very good to excellent Linux or cross-platform applications for almost anything anyone uses in MS Windows or Mac available for Linux and some software already has Linux versions but some people were not aware of that. So, if you tell us what MS Windows applications you are using, the people in this forum might be able to help you find those.

And, there is always installing virtualbox or vmware with a version of MS Windows in that and install any MS Windows software in that and run them while still in Linux Mint without "dual-booting". There are also the Linux Wine and Play On Linux options as well.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. Image you'll love it. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Welcome, Ed, from little further south. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Ed,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy and good luck :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Howdy ED.

Welcome to the world of Linux and good luck learning that Linux "terminal" code.

Personally, I've found there are plenty of GUI tools in LM for normal level users like me to get done what they need to get done and I have successfully installed LM on 2 legacy computers. If I can do it believe me it's not that hard.

In the MS Windows domain I was functional at an elementary level after studying DOS and VBA for a few hours but this Linux terminal code and that weird files/directory system not so much. They're not as intuitive as their Windows counterparts.

Maybe it's true that the Linux gang are a bunch of MIT IT graduates. :)

Hope you find the LM o/s and the many superb applications as useful as I have in the short time I've been here. :mrgreen:
Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Ed:
I've also got 3 score and 10 candles on this years birthday cake,
Cracking code books at 70 years of age?
Don't think so.
sudo open-fridge git-beer :mrgreen:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”