Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Offcenter
Level 2
Level 2

How to join .MOV videos?

Post by Offcenter » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Mint 19.1 Cinnamon
I have several .mov video clips that I'd like to join into one continuous video.
Is there any easy way to do this without getting into a full video editor, like maybe from the command line?
Thanks guys.
George, High in the hills of Jersey

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Re: How to join .MOV videos?

Post by Flemur » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:55 pm

In a command line try ffmpeg or avconv (which replaced ffmpeg...?). The syntax might be not much fun...

But "avidemux" with a GUI will do that, IIRC without re-encoding, quite easily if the files are the same type and size (pixels).

IIRC avidemux not in the repos but you can get a appimage or some such. Also the windows version runs great under wine.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:58 pm

OpenShot Video Editor is probably your best bet - it's not to difficult to use.
ImageImage

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:16 am

Hi Offcenter,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 for using a video editor like OpenShot, Kdenlive, Shotcut, Olive, Avidemux, etc... You can easily add your videos and then add them to a timeline next to one another, then create a new video (render) of them.

"LossLessCut" and "VidCutter" are also supposed to be able to join videos now as well as being superb simple video trimmer cutters.

Another really fast and simple option is to use MKVToolNix-gui to add the videos then create a new mkv video.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Software & Applications”