Scanning with an EPSON Stylus SX400 printer?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SilentBlue
Level 2
Level 2

Scanning with an EPSON Stylus SX400 printer?

Post by SilentBlue »

Hello,

I have an EPSON Stylus SX400 printer which works fine for printing. However, when I want to scan (I tried both Simple Scan and XSane) the application hangs and nothing happens.

I have searched in Synaptic an installed anything that seemed relevant (basically escputil 5.2.13-2).
I went on the website of EPSON but I could not find anything of use.

Any idea about what else I could do to try and make it work?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Scanning with an EPSON Stylus SX400 printer?

Post by brian_p »

Which version of Mint are you using?
--
Brian.
derrick1120
Level 3
Level 3

Post by derrick1120 »

Have you tried installing the Epson driver from the Epson website? - https://epson.com/Support/wa00821

Here's a link that may assist re installing - https://tutorialforlinux.com/2018/09/12 ... nt-19-lts/
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

SilentBlue wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:12 am Hello,

I have an EPSON Stylus SX400 printer which works fine for printing. However, when I want to scan (I tried both Simple Scan and XSane) the application hangs and nothing happens.

I have searched in Synaptic an installed anything that seemed relevant (basically escputil 5.2.13-2).
I went on the website of EPSON but I could not find anything of use.

Any idea about what else I could do to try and make it work?

Thanks.
Epson are notorious for slack linux support, but you need to d/l and install imagescan from epson for your scanner to work.
There are two (2) folders in the tar file Core and Plugins. Open plugins folder and install the first two files. (imagescan plugin, then the network scan) then re boot. It comes with a readme file which helps. If it still isn't detected, then post here and i'll tell you what i did to get my ET-4750 scanner working.
Good luck.
SilentBlue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SilentBlue »

@brian_p
I have Linux Mint 19.1

@derrick1120
Thanks a lot. I only went on the website associated with my printer model. I didn't know there was a Linux dedicated support page. I will try your suggestion and post the outcome here.

@kato181
Thank you very much. If Derrick's suggestion fails I will try your alternative path.
brian_p
Level 9
Level 9

Post by brian_p »

SilentBlue wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:38 am @brian_p
I have Linux Mint 19.1
There is a workaround on 19.1 but the problem is fixed in 19.2.
--
Brian.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

brian_p wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:11 pm
SilentBlue wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:38 am @brian_p
I have Linux Mint 19.1
There is a workaround on 19.1 but the problem is fixed in 19.2.
The problem still exists in 19.2 I had to do exactly the same I did in 19.1 to get scanner to work in 19.2. It's not mint that's the problem it's the lousy support from epson. I don't have any problem with my canon, or my hp printer/scanners, they all work perfectly without the work around.
SilentBlue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SilentBlue »

So for now I've tried the first link suggested by derrick1120: https://epson.com/Support/wa00821.
Now I can indeed scan using Image Scan! for Linux. However, I can only make one-page-scans. I cannot ask the scanner to put several scanned pages in a single file. I will try to test the other solutions.

Regarding the latter discussion, I have another EPSON scanner (XP-415) which I managed to make work with a bit of tweaking - I just don't remember exactly what I had to do, I think installing some other drivers or packages.
HAWR
Level 9
Level 9

Post by HAWR »

Linuxmint itself refers to a website with solutions for scanners in the release notes. I think that is what BrianP means with the workaround, so just for completeness:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... omments/76

Return to “Beginner Questions”