Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Nyanko-sensei
Level 1
Level 1

MintMenu and Panel configuration questions

Post by Nyanko-sensei » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Hi, lads!
I'm playing around with LM 19.1 MATE visuals, trying to make it more Cinnamonish ;)

Currently I've got fivequestions I can't find solution for.
1) Main Menu (MintMenu) icons size. I found some option in dconf (/com/linuxmint/mintmenu/applet-icon-size) which sounds like the one I'm after, but no effect :/
mint_1_1.PNG
mint_1_1.PNG (32.52 KiB) Viewed 721 times
mint_1_2.PNG
Doesn't seems like 48 px, right?

2) Main Menu category vetical text alignment. I want labels to be centered (vertically)
mint_2_1.PNG
Me eyes are bleedin' (c)

To be continued...

Nyanko-sensei
Level 1
Level 1

Re: MintMenu and Panel configuration questions

Post by Nyanko-sensei » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:48 am

3) Panel opened applications icon sizes. How can I make them lagrer?
mint_3_1.PNG
Who is my tiny dconf Editor? Who? Yes, you are! You are my little tiny dconf Editor along with Firefox ))

4) Panel widget icon sizes: how to make them smaller?
mint_4_1.png
mint_4_1.png (14.1 KiB) Viewed 718 times

5) Clock font size or replacement applet. I found how to make it have different time format and even color but no way to change font or font-size (in dconf, at least)
mint_5_1.png
mint_5_1.png (10.13 KiB) Viewed 718 times

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:52 am

2) is vertically centered in my mintmenu version which you can get from my PPA, but only if you're using LM 19.2

1) I hadn't even thought about but will be supported in my version in the next release at the end of the week (again, LM 19.2 only for the menu)

3) depends on your desktop theme

4) depends on your icon theme

5) you can change it system-wide via Appearance > Fonts > Application Font, but that will affect more than just the clock, and possibly just for the clock via the desktop theme
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Nyanko-sensei
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nyanko-sensei » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:44 am

Hey, thanks for fast reply!

So, I've installed 19.2 MATE, added you repo (gm10/linuxmint-tools) and made apt-get upgrade.. Strange but it said that mintmenu won't be updated (it upgraded litterally everything mint-related but mintmenu). Should I build it from source or something like that?
Because I can't find that vertical alignment thingy and it's not aligned by default:

mint_6_1.PNG

About 3 and 4: could you please point me where to configure icon size in taskbar and in status bar? I'm using Mint-Y-Dark-Grey theme for both frame and iconset.

Also I've installed Ununtu MATE just for reference. It works quite the opposite compared to Mint: notification bar icons remain fixed size while Menu Icon auto adjusts its size.
mint_7_1.PNG
mint_7_1.PNG (6.29 KiB) Viewed 684 times
mint_7_2.PNG
mint_7_2.PNG (15.36 KiB) Viewed 684 times

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:53 am

Nyanko-sensei wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:44 am
So, I've installed 19.2 MATE, added you repo (gm10/linuxmint-tools) and made apt-get upgrade.. Strange but it said that mintmenu won't be updated (it upgraded litterally everything mint-related but mintmenu). Should I build it from source or something like that?
No building necessary, but it needs the tina repos (or any other source for MATE 1.22+) to install, so if it doesn't install are you sure you actually upgraded to 19.2? In case of doubt post output of these two commands:

Code: Select all

inxi -S
apt install mintmenu
Nyanko-sensei wrote:
About 3 and 4: could you please point me where to configure icon size in taskbar and in status bar? I'm using Mint-Y-Dark-Grey theme for both frame and iconset.
You could just replace the respective icons with icons that have a larger canvas, i.e. more free space around them. Otherwise for theme editing I'm not the expert, looking up which style classes to edit would probably take me as long as it would take you. ;)
Nyanko-sensei wrote:
Also I've installed Ununtu MATE just for reference. It works quite the opposite compared to Mint: notification bar icons remain fixed size while Menu Icon auto adjusts its size.
Yes, I thought after my post above that auto-sizing would be the better option, can't really think of a situation where you'd want to size that icon individually. The behaviour currently depends on the type of icon.

Nyanko-sensei
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nyanko-sensei » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:39 am

Thanks for your help!

I've launched individual apt-get install action for mintmenu, it downloaded some additional dependency and installed mintmenu (once more). No idea why mintmenu was ingored during apt-get upgrade action.. This Mint copy wasn't an upgrade of 19.1, but fresh install of 19.2.

New menu has proper label alignment.
Missing some local strings though ;)

mint_8_1.PNG

Nyanko-sensei
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nyanko-sensei » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:47 am

Hey, gm10, man

Aren't you connected to Ubuntu MATE project by any chance? :D :D :D

mint_9_1.PNG

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:42 am

Nyanko-sensei wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:39 am
I've launched individual apt-get install action for mintmenu, it downloaded some additional dependency and installed mintmenu (once more). No idea why mintmenu was ingored during apt-get upgrade action.. This Mint copy wasn't an upgrade of 19.1, but fresh install of 19.2.
You would have needed apt-get dist-upgrade for this one.
Nyanko-sensei wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:39 am
New menu has proper label alignment.
Missing some local strings though ;)
Unlike official Mint I don't have a translation team, so anything I modify ends up in English only.
Nyanko-sensei wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:47 am
Aren't you connected to Ubuntu MATE project by any chance? :D :D :D
Heh, mate-menu is another fork of mintmenu, so no surprise that it shares some of the same bugs. Personally I value aesthetics so alignment is among the things I try to improve in the tools. If you look through the menu preferences you will find a few other additions though. ;)
Last edited by gm10 on Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nyanko-sensei
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nyanko-sensei » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:46 pm

gm10 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:42 am
Unlike official Mint I don't have a translation team, so anything I modify ends up in English only.
Could you please point me to where localization files are in system? If they are plain text that would be great.
gm10 wrote:
Heh, mate-menu is another fork of mintmenu, so no surprise that it shares some of the same bugs. Personally I value aesthetics so alignment part of the things I try to improve in the tools. If you look through the menu preferences you will find a few other additions though.
I hope your improvements will find a way into main distro and its other mate forks alike. They are most useful.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:30 am

Nyanko-sensei wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:46 pm
gm10 wrote:
Could you please point me to where localization files are in system? If they are plain text that would be great.
That's a bit complicated. Currently the menu uses Mint's shared translation package. There's no point trying to make changes for they will get overwritten with updates to official Mint. If people are starting to want to contribute translations (you are certainly the first to ever mention it) I could move the translations into my own packages and set up a translation project on launchpad like Mint does it for the official version. I'll have to look into that.
Nyanko-sensei wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:46 pm
I hope your improvements will find a way into main distro and its other mate forks alike. They are most useful.
Thank you very much. I used to be on the Mint dev team but we went our separate ways, that's the reason the PPA exists in the first place. The Mint guys might decide to just take my stuff but it won't be me contributing it.

Nyanko-sensei
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nyanko-sensei » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:03 am

gm10 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:30 am
If people are starting to want to contribute translations (you are certainly the first to ever mention it) I could move the translations into my own packages and set up a translation project on launchpad like Mint does it for the official version.
Well, I could contribute a translation for sure (can't be difficult to translate couple of components, right?), but I don't see how it's gonna work in a long run. I mean the idea is to be helpful for as many people as possible, right? And until I started that very topic I had not a clue about your repository and about this dissagreement between you devs.. So.. How it's gonna help majority of users (mint or mate or whatever)? Unless you find a way to contribute improvements into main branch of course.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:22 am

Cool. I'll let you know once I set up a translation system, not sure when I'll find the time, I'll be away for a few days.

That aside, everybody is free to add the PPA if they want. I'm glad if it helps people out, but this is my free time, nobody pays me for the work I do, I just enjoy doing it, so I get to decide how I do it. I would gain nothing from contributing to the main branch again except a whole lot of additional work trying to fit my changes into Mint's vision and schedule. I'm much happier doing my own thing according to my own vision. When I want to change something, I change it, and everybody gets it within a few days and not with the next point release 6 months later at the earliest as with official Mint. Like most of my fixes to apt I had already contributed to the main branch over a year ago but they never got merged.

Nyanko-sensei
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nyanko-sensei » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:48 am

I hear you, man. Well, if you are resolved staying on your own track might I suggest you to give it somewhat rememberable name perhaps? I mean you have a better chance to spread your code if it has some sound designation rather then "ohh, that other mint menu from sidestreet ppa" ;)

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:05 pm

Heh, good idea, although it's probably a bit late for that now because if I renamed the PPA then existing users would all have to re-add it. Also I have never "marketed" the PPA other than to mention it in my signature and to propose it in some support threads where I know it would help. I'm actually surprised the user count is as high as it is despite that.

Should I one day completely de-couple the tools from Mint so they work on other distros that would warrant a rename, I'll ask you for naming advice then. :)

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:03 pm

gm10 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:52 am
1) I hadn't even thought about but will be supported in my version in the next release at the end of the week (again, LM 19.2 only for the menu)
This fix is now released to the PPA, the menu icon now automatically adapts to the panel size and also now properly supports HiDPI screens. Let me know should there still be a problem with that - remember the fix only becomes active the next time you log in (or after manually reloading the panel mate-panel --replace & disjoin).

PS: I noticed that other MATE panel applets and launchers are limited to 16-48px icon sizes. I did not add the same limitation to the menu, mostly because I'm not sure why it exists. Let me know if you think I overlooked something there.

Nyanko-sensei
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nyanko-sensei » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:12 am

I've checked it out and can confirm that menu icon upscales just fine.

mint_10_1.PNG
mint_10_1.PNG (17.35 KiB) Viewed 297 times

BTW, are you familiar with notification applet perchance? I'm currently messing around with x2go remote things and for some reason notification applet from Mint is more messed up then the one from mainsteam MATE:

mint_11_1.PNG
mint_11_1.PNG (41.49 KiB) Viewed 297 times
mint_11_2.PNG
mint_11_2.PNG (51.79 KiB) Viewed 297 times
My guess it could be connected to using Compiz in Mint distro but it also could be streight up bug in newer version of the applet.

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:04 am

Nyanko-sensei wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:12 am
BTW, are you familiar with notification applet perchance? I'm currently messing around with x2go remote things and for some reason notification applet from Mint is more messed up then the one from mainsteam MATE:

mint_11_1.PNG

My guess it could be connected to using Compiz in Mint distro but it also could be streight up bug in newer version of the applet.
Compiz should be unrelated, but you can just temporarily switch to marco to make sure. I've seen something like that both as a theme issue and as a (long fixed) issue in the notification area plugin. Try changing your desktop and/or icon theme?

Personally I've got no issue but am not running Mint's version:

Nyanko-sensei
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Nyanko-sensei » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:57 am

Well, this problem is present on Mint-Y, on Mint-X, on both bright and dark themes. I've also installed mate-themes and removed compiz entirely. Still looks like scheisse )) Only in new x2go session, though. It looks pretty normal in local session or in resumed x2go session.
mint_12_2.PNG
mint_12_2.PNG (44.96 KiB) Viewed 261 times
mint_12_1.PNG
mint_12_1.PNG (17.52 KiB) Viewed 261 times

gm10
Level 19
Level 19

Post by gm10 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 am

Nyanko-sensei wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:57 am
Only in new x2go session, though. It looks pretty normal in local session or in resumed x2go session.
Oh, ok, I don't know about that.

Return to “Themes, Icons, & Wallpaper”