What to do with free space partition.

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
worstdayever

What to do with free space partition.

Post by worstdayever »

When I first installed mint on my macbook a few years ago I read that when partitioning, I should leave the free space as an unallocated partition and take from it when my /home runs low. Does this still hold true in any way?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: What to do with free space partition.

Post by Larry78723 »

Please post the following reports. This will give us a concise overview of your hardware and on how Mint sees it.

Here is how to generate the reports and post them:

Open a terminal window. Make it fullscreen to avoid unneeded linebreaks or chopped lines. Execute the command

Code: Select all

lsblk 

blkid
exactly as they have been typed here.

Mark the complete text output which each command will display with your mouse.
Press the keyboard shortcut <Shift><Ctrl>C to copy the marked text into the clipboard.
Enclose the results between the code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply then paste <Ctrl>V them in your reply between the code markers.

The results will help us to help you.

Larry
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

worstdayever wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:51 pm When I first installed mint on my macbook a few years ago I read that when partitioning, I should leave the free space as an unallocated partition and take from it when my /home runs low. Does this still hold true in any way?
Was never true. Why leave unallocated space? Use it, that's why you got it...
worstdayever

Post by worstdayever »

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 233.8G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   190M  0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2   8:2    0  18.6G  0 part /
├─sda3   8:3    0   5.6G  0 part [SWAP]
└─sda4   8:4    0    28G  0 part /home

/dev/sda1: UUID="3DC8-B477" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="7f55c8df-46b3-4ffb-88a8-bed6ff1b7954"
/dev/sda2: UUID="f6d736bd-e078-4678-8997-6b320f256f4f" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="038467b7-cd45-4f20-9c33-7ba6a60d9b9e"
/dev/sda3: UUID="ff787998-cdcd-410a-ab8f-9defb01947c4" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="6b18feb6-08f0-47fa-b664-da3d2dd834ed"
/dev/sda4: UUID="0abbd6d9-0089-45f8-b77a-5f0edc8f2b28" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="cd95d7bc-16b6-4441-b6b0-26bec7cc24a3"
I think the idea was security based. Keeping all data to smaller partitions that can be deleted/secured easier than if data was spread across the drive.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

worstdayever wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:56 pm I think the idea was security based. Keeping all data to smaller partitions that can be deleted/secured easier than if data was spread across the drive.
If the data is in one or multiple partitions, it's still spread across the drive. The only reason to reserve empty space at the the and of a hard disk is drive for sophisticated HDD controllers that use the space for spare blocks; this is called over-provisioning and isn't seen on regular PCs with HDDs. For SSDs, it's different. SSDs nowadays do support over-provisioning and it is recommended to keep a few GB empty at the end of of a SSD.

Other than for aligning partitions on a drive (either SSD or HDD), there is absolutely no other sane reason to leave empty space at the end of the drive to keep extending a partition as its usage grows. In fact, it's counter-productive because every extension increases the risk of lost data.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MontyMan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MontyMan »

While transitioning from the Windows world to Linux, I partitioned the HDD with some free space in between the Linux partition and the Windows one, so I could add space to whichever one filled up first.

Return to “Installation & Boot”