Internet Speed Good but Web Pages load SLOWLY.

Questions about WIFI networks and devices
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
earnestbunbury
Level 1
Level 1

Internet Speed Good but Web Pages load SLOWLY.

Post by earnestbunbury » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:20 pm

Title says it all. This happened when I upgraded to Tessa. Tested my internet speed with the super annoying Archer T4U wifi adapter, as I always have trouble with it after any kernel changes/updates. I ran the "Driver Manager" thing and instead of the usual manually installed wireless adapter driver (git clone https://github.com/abperiasamy/rtl8812AU_8821AU_linux) the new install used rtl8812au-dkms which I guess (?) is something that installed the driver automatically. I don't even know if that's the problem, just something I noticed. This dkms thing was also the way my VPN was installed, instead of the usual way. No problems with that though. It's reached the point where the pages load SO slowly that I switched to Windows (dual boot here). I HATE Windows, so I've been trying to figure out why my download speed (near 100 mbps) is so fast buy the internet has become so slow when switching pages.

A web site mentioned something about reverting back to a different kernel, which I did. Made no difference. Can anyone help with any ideas on how to fix this? Is there a way to uninstall the dkms installed driver and reinstall it the old way, if that's even the problem? Thanks in advance out there in Linux Mint land.

sleeper12
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Internet Speed Good but Web Pages load SLOWLY.

Post by sleeper12 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:54 pm

Try a different browser to see if pages load faster.

If not, you might find something useful here:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID2.1
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... html#ID1.1

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:31 pm

FWIW, various sites on the internets, but not all sites, have been slow and/or funky in other ways, for me lately. And there was a guy on the CenturyLink pole a couple of hours ago who said it wasn't their fault...

But you can check some stuff with

Code: Select all

ping website-name
or, in a browser, open http://www.speedtest.net/
or various other "speedtests".

I've never really seen one browser load pages significantly faster then some other browser, but I suppose the faster your internet connection is, the more difference the browser makes.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 19.1 Xfce/fluxbox
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox

earnestbunbury
Level 1
Level 1

Post by earnestbunbury » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:38 pm

Nope. It says power management is off. Also, I already tried speedtest.net, it was in my question. Did notice something though, namely this:

bertram@bertram:~$ iwconfig
wlx14cc2021b293 IEEE 802.11AC ESSID:"virus.exe" Nickname:"<WIFI@REALTEK>"
Mode:Managed Frequency:5.745 GHz Access Point: F4:F5:E8:72:95:57
Bit Rate:780 Mb/s Sensitivity:0/0
Retry:off RTS thr:off Fragment thr:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality=92/100 Signal level=64/100 Noise level=0/100
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

tun0 no wireless extensions.

lo no wireless extensions.

enp3s0 no wireless extensions.

bertram@bertram:~$

So the line that says 'Frequency:5.745 GHz'? Is that from my router? I notice that there's two signals coming from the router, 2.4 GHz and 5+ GHz. Is there a way for me to change the wireless adapter software to 2.4GHz? Maybe that's it. I vaguely remember some time ago reading that I shouldn't use the 5GHz unless I was really close to the router, or something similar. Anyone know how to change the settings that might help me?

athi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by athi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:10 pm

Not sure if there is a way to disable 5GHZ on the wifi adapter (JeremyB might have some input on that), but my router have 2 different wifi channels 2.4GHZ or 5GHZ. So I can select to connect to 2.4GHZ at longer ranger and the 5GHZ at shorter range.

And yes, 5GHZ has more bandwidth but shorter ranged and 2.4GHZ have longer range but lower bandwidth. As a matter of fact, if you look at the specifications of some of the new AC router you will find that the increased bandwidth is in the 5GHZ channel, so it is a bit of bait and switch since the the higher speed is only usable for shorter range clients.
Mint Mate 19.1. Main rig is HP 800G2 I5 6500 16GB ram, 120GB boot drive, 2x3TB, 1x4TB data drives. Oldest rig is Mate 18.3 on Dell D620 with 32bits core duo.

earnestbunbury
Level 1
Level 1

Post by earnestbunbury » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:42 pm

Thanks for the tips. Telling me to try another browser was the key to finding the problem. I downloaded Google's Chromium browser. It worked incredibly fast. I also tried another laptop up here in wi-fi hell and it work fast as well. Just leaving this in case anyone happens to click on it looking for an answer to the same problem I had. Seeing how Chromium worked so well, I knew the problem wasn't in my wi-fi adapter or anything like that. I'm very brand loyal though and I want to make sure Firefox (I know Chromium is open source too, but really- does Google have to own everything?) stays around. Turns out after going to Firefox's web site and looking at their suggestions on how to speed up the browser I saw that one of them was to get rid of all the extensions if you find you're running a lot of them (I am). While taking them off one at a time to see if any of them were slowing down web pages loading I noticed that I had installed TWO adblockers. I deleted one and sites load faster than ever. Sticking with Firefox, but I will admit that Chromium kicks ass.

sleeper12
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sleeper12 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:23 pm

Glad you sorted it out. A bit late, but this might interest you:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... t.html#ID6

If you are satisfied with your results, mark this thread as Solved.

Return to “Wireless”