Secondary disk usage problems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
matthewbartlett
Level 1
Level 1

Secondary disk usage problems

Post by matthewbartlett » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:14 am

Hello.
I'm new to linux mint and linux world in general.
On windows i had a secondary disk that i used to install softwares, games and save files. Now i don't know how to do the same on mint.
How can i install softwares on this secondary drive instead of the primary one ?
How can i delete files ? When i right click on a file the "Delete" option is disabled.
Also it seems the drive is mounted only when i click on it and not automatically.
I really need this secondary disk full available.
Can somebody please help ?
Thank you. :)

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Secondary disk usage problems

Post by jglen490 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:14 am

Are you asking how to use the specific disk you were using with Windows? Or are you asking how to do something similar under Linux?

Fo software installation, Linux executable programs will typically be installed in the / directory structure. There are exceptions, but the reason for doing so is that Linux typically sets up a specific PATH variable upon installation that includes those "normal" program install points. Yes, you can change the PATH variable to include whatever you want, but for someone just starting out their Linux journey, keep it simple.

When you install Mint, the installer will usually allocate all available space on your disk to one flat directory structure. If you choose, you can decide to customize that allocation into different partitions. In the long run, allocating space as you want it is more effective, but you may not have the initial experience to do it right.

You can set up multiple disks such that they all will show up every time you boot, and there are many posts on that subject here. But for your first try, just let the installer do the job for you. You can always save your data/important files later and re-install with a better scheme. There are a few install options in the installer: you can let it take all the space for Linux, you can tell it to install "alongside" another OS which will just grab whatever free space is available from the "other OS", you can tell it to do "something else" which will let you customize whatever free space you choose to make or take.

You will not be able to execute Windows programs (.exe files) "out of the box" in Linux, but there are ways to add that capability. The Windows file system (NTFS) is not the most reliable thing to use under Mint, as Linux has its own filesystems (such as ext4), but there are procedures to use NTFS under Mint. Mint makes available to you a lot of Linux software that will use data created under Windows, such as Linux-native office products.

My advice to you is save what you currently have, install Mint as an only OS, use the simplest install options. Then when you are more comfortable with Mint - and Linux in general - you can explore. It won't take long.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

Return to “Newbie Questions”