How to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO image of Linux Mint 18.3 on WinXP [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alza68
Level 1
Level 1

How to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO image of Linux Mint 18.3 on WinXP [Solved]

Post by alza68 »

I have dowloaded the
1) image of Linux mint 18.3 Cinnamon .iso Sylvia and saved it to my hard disk
2) with the Sha256sum.txt
3)and the SHA256 sum.txt.gpg
4) Downloaded Gnupg simple installer from gnupg.org and installed it on my computer
all in a folder. Have opened the command prompt window (DOS window) but could not navigate to the folder where I had stored the same. Therefore I had moved the folder containing all the above files to C:\ drive and navigated the Window command prompt to the folder.

I then emlpoyed the command CertUtil -hashfile file name.iso SHA256 in the command prompt replacing the filename with the path of the dowloaded image of my windows to receive an error
CertUtil is not a recognized internal or external command...operable program or batch file.

As the above method was a fiasco did open my windows powershell command prompt and typed cmd----> enter. The above command was retyped to return the same error as stated previously.
CertUtil is not a recognized internal or external command...operable program or batch file.
. I can proceed no further as the instructions either lacks pertinent information that is devoid for Windows XP users or the like.

I implore someone to guide me accurately as to how to check the Integrity and Authenticity from here.

Measures Taken!
Have downloaded a few tools to verify for the SHA256 sum.txt and Sha256 sum.txt.gpg. They show different hash values on comparison and had hence downloaded three different times from different mirrors. The tool's value and the hash value on the verification txt differs.
the tools are
1) Sha 1 sum.exe
2) Dssha.exe

Laptop Details

MotherBoard: HP pavillion DV 6838NR
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
T7700 @ 2.40GH
Memory: 2*2Gb memory cards DDR2
Bios Version: F59. 11/25/2008
Sound device card: Real Tech High Definition Audio
Video Card: Mobile intel(R) 965 Express chipset family
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional version 2002 Service pack 3
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sir Charles

Re: How to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO image of Linux mint 18.3 sylvia

Post by Sir Charles »

I am not myself familiar with the procedure in Windows but do have a look at the following tutorial written by @gm10:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=291093
alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO image of Linux mint 18.3 sylvia

Post by alza68 »

Forgive me, I believe I did abide by those instructions till I became stuck. The steps were from that particular url.

Thank you
alza68
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

alza68 wrote: CertUtil is not a recognized internal or external command
I can proceed no further as the instructions either lacks pertinent information that is devoid for Windows XP users or the like.
I couldn't say for sure, but perhaps Windows XP doesn't have CertUtil.

Try this article: Step by Step Using Sha256sum on Windows XP

Joe
alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alza68 »

JoeFootball wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:17 am I couldn't say for sure, but perhaps Windows XP doesn't have CertUtil.

Try this article: Step by Step Using Sha256sum on Windows XP
I am indebted to you JoeFootball; that was the answer for integrity check. If this utility were provided to the new user on the verification page, it would have been an immense help for new Win XP users like me.

As I was stating The parameter "CertUtil " is not recognized by either the "Command Prompt" in Win XP nor in the "Windows Power Shell". Not all are Win7 or later users that migrate to Linux. Have downloaded the wrong tool for the verification.

JoeFootball! Would be immensely obliged and appreciated if you could point the tool for evaluating the authenticity of the .iso image for win XP as the command line provided by the help section of linux community does lack several vital and pertinent information for new users.

Thank you,
alza68
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Understand that when anyone writes a "how to", they have to decide how many permutations to cover. There's a trade-off between comprehensiveness and comprehensibility. As XP is way past End of Life, it's not going to be covered by guides applicable to current Linux tools. If your heart is dead set on doing this in Windows, take a look at this How-To Geek article which describes an alternate method using gpg4win. Don't know whether works in XP.

The simpler solution, though, is to cheat. What the authenticity check does is confirm the checksum file you used to verify the ISO is bona fide. I just ran that check myself and can confirm the correct checksums are as follows:
2026b8901f86f4711e2aaa35f5515407eebb7fb2c3cdd0359ffb6f6d0a368b9d *linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-32bit.iso
ecebdf9ac4697b6c2d7feffd1bc5430641bca67c7df122fa2914824dc8844b3a *linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso
Based on that, I think you can reasonably proceed with installation. Then, first thing - before you do setup, create a wireless connection or copy in any data files - run the authentication check in Mint. That's easier than in Windows. Also, that's where you will do all future ISO verifications, so it's a good investment of time. Last but not least, ultimately you're not dependent on my verification, as you will have confirmed it yourself.
Sir Charles

Re: How to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO image of Linux mint 18.3 sylvia Solved Excellent

Post by Sir Charles »

pbear wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:50 am Based on that, I think you can reasonably proceed with installation. Then, first thing - before you do setup, create a wireless connection or copy in any data files - run the authentication check in Mint. That's easier than in Windows.
I guess that would be possible to do in the live environment (Mint bootable usb) as well.
alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO image of Linux mint 18.3 sylvia Solved Excellent

Post by alza68 »

How to check the Authenticity of linux mint

Leave the internet on for the laptop or desktop

1) Copy the code "gpg --keyserver

hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com:443 --recv-key

27DEB15644C6B3CF3BD7D291300F846BA25BAE09" Right click on the

command prompt---> Paste---> press Enter

2) Copy the Code till "gpg --verify" then drag the file

"sha256sum.txt.gpg" from the storage folder to the command prompt or

add the full path of the file with the file name after

entering a space before the file path. If the command prompt does not open from File Storage folder.

3) Enter a space then drag the last file "sha256sum.txt" from

the folder as stated in point number 2).

4) Eventually press enter

The Authenticity of the image will be verified.

P.S This is for Win XP and if the command prompt does not

open from the stored folder.

For integrity for XP users where the command "CertUtil" does not function please use this url http://www.labtestproject.com/using_win ... ws_xp.html
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO image of Linux Mint 18.3 on WinXP [Solved]

Post by pbear »

Congratulations, well done.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Sir Charles wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:45 pm
pbear wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:50 am Based on that, I think you can reasonably proceed with installation. Then, first thing - before you do setup, create a wireless connection or copy in any data files - run the authentication check in Mint. That's easier than in Windows.
I guess that would be possible to do in the live environment (Mint bootable usb) as well.
FWIW, finally got a chance to test this idea. Worked nicely and has several advantages. First, there are no apps to download and install, as everything needed is included in the live session. Second, this uses the Linux instructions already available on the Mint Website and the Installation Guide. Third, it's a reasonable investment of time, as the same method is used for verifying ISOs once Mint is installed. Main trick, which might not be obvious to some newbies, is that one has to mount the Windows partition in the live session for it to see them and be able to run the checks.

One thing I realized, though, is that my suggestion of running the authentication check without an internet connection is plain wrong. One needs the internet to download the GPG key. D'oh! Which makes it particularly advisable to do this in a live session rather than first thing in an installed one.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

pbear wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 pm
Sir Charles wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:45 pm
FWIW, finally got a chance to test this idea. Worked nicely and has several advantages. First, there are no apps to download and install, as everything needed is included in the live session. Second, this uses the Linux instructions already available on the Mint Website and the Installation Guide. Third, it's a reasonable investment of time, as the same method is used for verifying ISOs once Mint is installed. Main trick, which might not be obvious to some newbies, is that one has to mount the Windows partition in the live session for it to see them and be able to run the checks.

One thing I realized, though, is that my suggestion of running the authentication check without an internet connection is plain wrong. One needs the internet to download the GPG key. D'oh! Which makes it particularly advisable to do this in a live session rather than first thing in an installed one.
Great! Thanks for taking your time and test the idea and sharing your findings. I never did this myself but I thought it should be possible and it could work as an alternative verification method since there is much more involved in doing so in a Windows environment. True that the Windows partition must be mounted in order to access the file. Might not be so obvious to some newbies as you mentioned.

cheers
polarvortex

Re: How to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO image of Linux Mint 18.3 on WinXP [Solved]

Post by polarvortex »

Wait. You guys are talking about using the iso to run a live session, and then using that live session to check the authenticity of the iso?

Why are you checking it if you already trust it? Logically speaking you cannot check authenticity this way.
alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alza68 »

polarvortex wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:23 am Wait. You guys are talking about using the iso to run a live session, and then using that live session to check the authenticity of the iso?

Why are you checking it if you already trust it? Logically speaking you cannot check authenticity this way.
That appears to be a reasonable thought. We trust the software and then we verify whether it is trustworthy.

The instructions given for authenticity verification to the public is for Win 7 or later users, in Win XP the command prompt or the terminal window does not budge to any other drive letter than where the windows installation drive frequently is C:\. The issue arises if you download the mint image to any other drive letter excluding C:\ like D:\ or G:\ the verification of authenticity would entail to be an utter fiasco. Many may not have space to copy the mint ISO to the Windows installation drive either. Therefore, had placed my instructions step by step above. Hope the information assists some newcomer like me...

Regards,
alza68
alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alza68 »

A newcomer is not any familiar with a debut software unless he or she has some experience with same either by casual venture or by tinkering. We ( Newcomer) do not know which window or terminal to be used on an alien software to accomplish this task of Authenticity verification.

Therefore a newbie would try to assess the Authenticity or integrity with the software that he is best familiar with i.e. Windows. Once he grasps the general idea of the mint environment, indeed, Pbear's instructions are very handy. Else, the directions are rather another hurdle.

Thank you, however for these information. It would gradually be applied.

Regards,
alza68
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Good to see you have this solved. Maybe to add: I made a deliberate decision not to include Windows XP instructions in my guide because support for it ended many years ago so the amount of users still upgrading from that is hopefully minimal (you might just be the only one ;)). Same goes for other old releases like Vista, 2k3 and 2k, although I remember that at least 2k3 had CertUtil as well. 2k is too long ago for me and I never touched Vista.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

alza68 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:48 amTherefore a newbie would try to assess the Authenticity or integrity with the software that he is best familiar with i.e. Windows.
Fair point. On the other hand, very few Windows users have ever run a checksum or GPG check, so they're going to have to learn something new either way. In my humble opinion, might as well be the procedure they will be using the next time. As regards detailed steps, you are certainly correct that most newbies would be challenged figuring out exactly how to assemble the pieces. For that reason, I prepared a detailed list of instruction (for my own use) which I didn't bother to post because you had already solved your problem. I'll go ahead and do that now. Perhaps it will be helpful to some future user.

---------------------------

How to verify a Mint ISO in a live session booted on a Windows machine

[Withdrawn for reasons discussed below]
Last edited by pbear on Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alza68 »

pbear wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:37 pm
alza68 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:48 amTherefore a newbie would try to assess the Authenticity or integrity with the software that he is best familiar with i.e. Windows.
Fair point. On the other hand, very few Windows users have ever run a checksum or GPG check, so they're going to have to learn something new either way. In my humble opinion, might as well be the procedure they will be using the next time. As regards detailed steps, you are certainly correct that most newbies would be challenged figuring out exactly how to assemble the pieces. For that reason, I prepared a detailed list of instruction (for my own use) which I didn't bother to post because you had already solved your problem. I'll go ahead and do that now. Perhaps it will be helpful to some future user.

---------------------------

How to verify a Mint ISO in a live session booted on a Windows machine

Thank you Pbear for the interest, there is on more point as JoeFootball has pointed to a tool in the early conversation to assess the integrity of linux mint version, I would be obliged if you could add that instruction page as a url for Win XP users as that tool did most of the guidance in accomplishing and surmounting this ordeal. I am indebted to JoeFootball for that particular piece of information.

The more the number that migrate even if they are very late to this linux OS, it is rather an added compliment, therefore embrace them and guide them to achieve familiarity, such that they will adhere to this OS and appraise its functionality. Believe me although, XP is dead, many adhere to the same due to apprehensiveness to leap to a unfamiliar world. These are the people who would move faster than the later Win OS'es when they realize the support to vital applications cease like browsers etc. You must prepare to embrace or accept these individuals before you aim for recently declining ones, else you would lose a proportion of customers who would never know the benefits of this Operating system.

Regards,
alza68
polarvortex

Post by polarvortex »

pbear wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:37 pmIf evil hackers swapped the ISO, they might also have swapped the checksum file. We verify this didn't happen by running a GPG check.
But if evil hackers swapped the ISO, then you are running a live session from a hacked ISO. The gpg in the hacked ISO might falsely report the ISO to be authentic. If these were the instructions on the mint site, then the evil hackers would definitely make it do that. This live session method can't be trusted to authenticate the ISO.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

polarvortex wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:33 pm This live session method can't be trusted to authenticate the ISO.
+1

(I hadn't even realized they were doing that)
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

alza68: The whole point of the live session method is to avoid having to install any new apps. If someone wants to do it the other way, the information is already here in the thread.

polarvortex: Nothing is bullet proof. The overwhelming majority of folks don't run the GPG check at all, because it's complicated and unfamiliar. Swapping the ISO is already extremely rare. IMHO, this is good enough, but point taken. It's not bullet proof.

gm10: Not what the OP did. Something Sir Charles and I were discussing.

Return to “Beginner Questions”