[Solved] Update Manager - Close When Complete gone?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

[Solved] Update Manager - Close When Complete gone?

Post by BenTrabetere »

At one time Update Manager had a checkbox option to close the update window and minimize Update Manager after the updates had been applied. I do not know when it occurred, but that option is no longer available on my LM-MATE 18.3.

Now, when the update completes, Update Manager throws up a dialog that says, “Successfully applied all changes. You can close the window now.” I have to click <Okay> to close the dialog and then minimize Update Manager. Two additional steps ... that don't count towards my FitBit. :evil:

Is there a way to restore the Close When Complete option?

Code: Select all

$ pinxi -Sxxx
System:    Host: TheBeast Kernel: 4.13.0-45-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 5.4.0 Desktop: MATE 1.18.2 
           info: mate-panel wm: Metacity dm: lightdm 1.18.3 Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia base: Ubuntu Xenial 
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Snafu
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Update Manager - Close When Complete gone?

Post by Snafu »

Update Manager> edit> preferences. Check the "close when complete" box
When all else fails follow the instructions
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

Snafu wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:25 pm Update Manager> edit> preferences. Check the "close when complete" box
I checked Preferences - the option is not listed. The closest is "Hide the update manager after applying updates.", and that box is ticked.
externa1
Level 2
Level 2

Post by externa1 »

You can enable/disable this through synaptic packet manager - during packet install you get the possibility to set this option - it seems to be gone in the update manager progress bar

rg
christian
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

externa1 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:20 amYou can enable/disable this through synaptic....
This works. I would love to know the reason this was removed from Update Manager.

Thanks.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Re: [Solved] Update Manager - Close When Complete gone?

Post by BG405 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:12 pm I would love to know the reason this was removed from Update Manager.
Me too, but for the opposite reason. When I do some updates (esp. kernels) I go through it to check for issues & tend to copy the lot to a text file for later reference. On the initial update on my other system, the box closed without giving me a chance to copy it. Thankfully since then, it does not.
externa1 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:20 am You can enable/disable this through synaptic packet manager - during packet install you get the possibility to set this option
Thanks! 8)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

BG405 wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:30 pm
BenTrabetere wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:12 pm I would love to know the reason this was removed from Update Manager.
Me too, but for the opposite reason. When I do some updates (esp. kernels) I go through it to check for issues & tend to copy the lot to a text file for later reference.
That is another reason I am irked by this change to Update Manager. Most of the time I review the updates before I apply them, most of the time I have a good idea of what to expect, and most of the time I am happy to let Update Manager do its thing and get out of the way.

There are times when I want to review what happened, such as updates to the kernel, linux-firmware, perl, and python. I used to be able to uncheck the "Close When Complete" box and then check it again the next time updates are available.

I suspect the change occurred on May 10, 2018 with mintupdate 5.3.2.3, and I wish whoever was responsible would undo this change.
LMDE2Fan1

Post by LMDE2Fan1 »

As of MintUpdate 5.5.4 (and probably since 5.3.2.3) the mintUpdate.py script overrides your Synaptic configuration so that the terminal window always closes when the installs are complete.

To override the override:
1) Edit the /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py script file (as admin).
2) Search for Synaptic::closeZvt=true and change true to false and save the file.

The .py python script will compile next time it's used but to make sure it does, you can log out and back into Cinnamon.

Of course, this is a temporary fix until the next version of MintUpdate is released or an update is installed that replaces this file.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

LMDE2Fan1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 pm To override the override:
1) Edit the /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/mintUpdate.py script file (as admin).
2) Search for Synaptic::closeZvt=true and change true to false and save the file.
Thanks for posting this. I guess it will be needed for the other DEs as well (MATÉ & Xfce).

I really don't get the thinking behind the auto-close preference being removed as one can easily close it when finished with it anyway. :? In my case an option to save the output to a .txt file would be a good alternative.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
gm10

Post by gm10 »

BG405 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:23 pm I really don't get the thinking behind the auto-close preference being removed as one can easily close it when finished with it anyway. :? I
Simple, the change occurred when I fixed the bug described in the OP. I didn't actually change anything about closing Synaptic's window, that was always in the code, it's just that it only started working again after my fix.

I hadn't see the issue be brought up before. I guess I could add a toggle to keep Synaptic's window open to my mintupdate version, for the official version you could submit a feature request on github.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Thanks for that gm10. IMO the most user-friendly way is how Octopi does it .. when finished, there's a simple message at the bottom "Press any key to continue" which serves to close the terminal window. Perhaps it should say "Press any key to close this window". :wink: I'll certainly consider putting up a feature request.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

BG405 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:10 pm Thanks for that gm10. IMO the most user-friendly way is how Octopi does it .. when finished, there's a simple message at the bottom "Press any key to continue" which serves to close the terminal window. Perhaps it should say "Press any key to close this window". :wink:
Isn't there just a "Close" button if you don't close it automatically? The thing is that while Synaptic is being used the dialog has to be taken as it is.

I've been wanting to rip out Synaptic for a while actually because there are some other issues with it but it was never a priority and still isn't. Nevertheless, in my mintupdate fork I use my own installer for mainline kernel installation, that one also closes automatically except when there was a problem during the installation, in which case the window stays open until the user closes it. At the end of the day I still consider that the most elegant solution.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

BG405 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:23 pm
LMDE2Fan1 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:13 pm
Next release of my fork of Update Manager will have the second option here:

Question to both of you, however: Would you expect the first option to work independently of the second one, i.e. to override it? Or would you expect them to work such that the first option would hide the Update Manager window automatically only after the installation popup window has been hidden? I'm a little unsure right now so I thought I'd just ask since it's your workflow more than mine. I will, of course, adjust the wording of the options depending on the way I end up going with to make this clear to the user.

Also I noticed that the "Hide" option does not apply to kernel installations, should probably be applied to that as well.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

gm10 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:30 amNext release of my fork of Update Manager will have the second option here:

Question to both of you, however: Would you expect the first option to work independently of the second one, i.e. to override it? Or would you expect them to work such that the first option would hide the Update Manager window automatically only after the installation popup window has been hidden?
OP, here. If I understand the second "would you expect" scenario you offered, the two options would work independently of each other - e.g., the "Close Update Details" popup, if unchecked, would remain open even if the "Hide Update Manager" if checked.

I think this is what I would expect and prefer.
Also I noticed that the "Hide" option does not apply to kernel installations, should probably be applied to that as well.
I think kernel installations (and other updates that require a reboot) should be an exception to the "Hide" option.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Thanks for the feedback, that's what I was leaning towards as well.

Regarding the kernel window, I see where you are coming from, although the "reboot required" argument is not really convincing to me since the regular updates could also comprise kernel updates or other updates that require a reboot. Moreover, my Update Manager fork does supply a desktop notification when a reboot is required so it is not necessary to keep the window open to tell the user about it. But I'll keep your feedback in mind (it's just for my version, anyway, I won't be changing the official version).
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:32 am
I agree 100% with what BenTrabetere stated; it would indeed be better if the options were completely independant.

As for this:
gm10 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:50 pm Isn't there just a "Close" button if you don't close it automatically?
I think so but I usually do updates via terminal on these systems. Next time I'll use the updater when some more updates are available to refresh my memory. Out of interest, I tried using the tee command to save the stdin & stdout to a .txt file but this seemed to interfere with the process i.e. updates were seemingly not installed on the target system. I wonder if there would be a similar issue with Synaptic/UM? .. my reference is to Octopi/Pacman.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

BG405 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:41 am
gm10 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:50 pm Isn't there just a "Close" button if you don't close it automatically?
I think so but I usually do updates via terminal on these systems. Next time I'll use the updater when some more updates are available to refresh my memory. Out of interest, I tried using the tee command to save the stdin & stdout to a .txt file but this seemed to interfere with the process i.e. updates were seemingly not installed on the target system. I wonder if there would be a similar issue with Synaptic/UM? .. my reference is to Octopi/Pacman.
It's ok, I tried it when implementing the option, you get a "Close" button indeed. Regarding your logging interests, for 19.2 I added full logging to the automatic updates functionality, it will write to /var/log/mintupdate.log. But on-demand updates do not write a log - you could copy & paste out of the "Details" part of Synaptic's popup though.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

gm10 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:12 am Thanks for the feedback, that's what I was leaning towards as well.

Regarding the kernel window, I see where you are coming from, although the "reboot required" argument is not really convincing to me since the regular updates could also comprise kernel updates or other updates that require a reboot.
I agree: it is not a convincing argument. I was trying to find a reason for keeping the kernel window open; I was in a hurry, and that is the best I could do. :roll:
Moreover, my Update Manager fork does supply a desktop notification when a reboot is required so

I had not noticed that. I will look for it on the next kernel update.

Thank you for the work you are doing. It is appreciated.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:38 pm I agree: it is not a convincing argument. I was trying to find a reason for keeping the kernel window open; I was in a hurry, and that is the best I could do. :roll:
The kernel window itself? We were just talking about that Synaptic popup with the update details. The kernel window always closes once you start an installation/removal - would you prefer for that not to happen?
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

gm10 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:09 am
BenTrabetere wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:38 pm I agree: it is not a convincing argument. I was trying to find a reason for keeping the kernel window open; I was in a hurry, and that is the best I could do. :roll:
The kernel window itself? We were just talking about that Synaptic popup with the update details. The kernel window always closes once you start an installation/removal - would you prefer for that not to happen?
I am talking about the Synaptic popup - I used "kernel window" because you used it in the post I quoted and I thought that was what you were referring to. Sorry for adding to the confusion. As for what I prefer, I think I know what I want, but I know there are better minds in this discussion to decide and describe what I want. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”