Problems with Boot Partition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ofthewoods

Problems with Boot Partition

Post by ofthewoods »

I have used 18% of my 500gig hard drive. The boot partition still is full so I cant update the OS. I can't figure out what is wrong.

My data is: CPU~Dual core Intel Core i5-2450M (-MT-MCP-) speed/max~944/3100 MHz Kernel~4.15.0-48-generic x86_64 Up~27 min Mem~2135.6/7569.7MB HDD~480.1GB(15.2% used) Procs~245 Client~Shell inxi~2.3.56
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DAMIEN1307

Re: Problems with Boot Partition

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

You probably have too many older kernels still installed which take up all your space in the boot partition...you did not provide which version of LM you are presently using...the script provided below should remove all unused but still installed kernels in the boot sector...just copy and paste the script into your terminal and provide password when prompted, then reboot your system, then retry doing your updates with the update manager...DAMIEN

Remove Old Kernels Except Active Kernel

Code: Select all

dpkg-query -W -f '${Version}\n' 'linux-image-[^g]*'|sort -u|sed -e '/^$/d' -e 's/\~[^~]*$//' -e 's/\.[^.]*$//' -e "/$(uname -r|sed 's/-generic\|-lowlatency//')/d" -e 's/.*/linux-*-&*/'|tr '\n' ' '|xargs -r sudo apt-get remove --purge -y
ofthewoods

Post by ofthewoods »

This is what message I got:

Setting up linux-firmware (1.173.6) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.15.0-48-generic
W: initramfs-tools configuration sets RESUME=UUID=dcda0df1-b186-418c-aa91-6d9c0fc20281
W: but no matching swap device is available.
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Bt54KA//lib/i386-linux-gnu’: File exists
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Bt54KA//lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc.so.6': Not a directory
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Bt54KA//lib/i386-linux-gnu’: File exists
cp: failed to access '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Bt54KA//lib/i386-linux-gnu/libc-2.27.so': Not a directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Bt54KA//lib/i386-linux-gnu/libnss_files.so.2': Not a directory
cp: failed to access '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Bt54KA//lib/i386-linux-gnu/libnss_files-2.27.so': Not a directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Bt54KA//lib/i386-linux-gnu/libnss_dns.so.2': Not a directory
cp: failed to access '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Bt54KA//lib/i386-linux-gnu/libnss_dns-2.27.so': Not a directory
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Bt54KA//lib/i386-linux-gnu/libresolv.so.2': Not a directory
cp: failed to access '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Bt54KA//lib/i386-linux-gnu/libresolv-2.27.so': Not a directory
Setting up linux-modules-4.15.0-58-generic (4.15.0-58.64) ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-modules-4.15.0-58-generic.postinst: 13: /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-modules-4.15.0-58-generic.postinst: cannot create /usr/lib/linux/triggers/4.15.0-58-generic: Directory nonexistent
dpkg: error processing package linux-modules-4.15.0-58-generic (--configure):
installed linux-modules-4.15.0-58-generic package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Setting up linux-headers-generic (4.15.0.58.60) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-4.15.0-58-generic:
linux-image-4.15.0-58-generic depends on linux-modules-4.15.0-58-generic; however:
Package linux-modules-4.15.0-58-generic is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package linux-image-4.15.0-58-generic (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-58-generic:
linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-58-generic depends on linux-image-4.15.0-58-generic | linux-image-unsigned-4.15.0-58-generic; however:
Package linux-image-4.15.0-58-generic is not configured yet.
Package linux-image-unsigned-4.15.0-58-generic is not installed.

No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
No apport report written because the error message indicates its a followup error from a previous failure.
dpkg: error processing package linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-58-generic (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-image-generic:
linux-image-generic depends on linux-image-4.15.0-58-generic; however:
Package linux-image-4.15.0-58-generic is not configured yet.
linux-image-generic depends on linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-58-generic; however:
Package linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-58-generic is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package linux-image-generic (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of linux-generic:
linux-generic depends on linux-image-generic (= 4.15.0.58.60); however:
Package linux-image-generic is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package linux-generic (--configure):
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
Errors were encountered while processing:
linux-modules-4.15.0-58-generic
linux-image-4.15.0-58-generic
linux-modules-extra-4.15.0-58-generic
linux-image-generic
linux-generic
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

You will have to do this the old fashioned way then...open the "update manager" then click open the "view" tab in the upper left corner, then click open "Linux Kernels" from the drop down list and again not knowing what version of LM that your using, just be looking for all the installed, unused kernels and click "remove" on each installed kernel...NOTE...the system will not allow you to remove the currently used kernel so have no fear of this...then reboot system again and then retry "update manager" for updates...this should take care of things...DAMIEN

NOTE...you will want to keep the kernel just before the present one on system in case it ever borks out on you, giving you a safe retreat to a last known good kernel.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofthewoods

Post by ofthewoods »

I tried it again and it seems to work I then restarted and now I am updating it now. Thank you for the quick reply and an easy solution.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

You are welcome...when your updated and rebooted, just check the installed kernels again...what you want to see is the current in use kernel and the one just before that one as still installed, this way, if anything is wrong with the kernel update, you can retreat to the previous kernel...it doesnt happen very often but it has done so in past times, this is a safety net...DAMIEN

PS...if and when everything seems to now be OK, just be sure to go to your 1st posting on this thread and mark the subject heading as "SOLVED Problems with Boot Partition"...that way others will know how to do this also.
ofthewoods

Post by ofthewoods »

Waitit says it cant find the repositories. I might just need a fresh install.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

No need for re-install just yet...lol,
Try copy and paste the following code to update the repositories...if this doesnt work, then try changing the "mirrors"...DAMIEN

sudo apt update
Just for grins and giggles, do this one as well, it wont hurt anything.

sudo update-grub
Then reboot, try updates again.
ofthewoods

Post by ofthewoods »

The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 03C3AD3A7F068E5D
Fetched 1,310 B in 2s (749 B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
All packages are up to date.
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: https://mega.nz/linux/MEGAsync/xUbuntu_18.04 ./ InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 03C3AD3A7F068E5D
W: Failed to fetch https://mega.nz/linux/MEGAsync/xUbuntu_ ... /InRelease The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 03C3AD3A7F068E5D
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

This is after I did sudo udate.
ofthewoods

Post by ofthewoods »

I switch mirrors and its still not working.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

If im not mistaken, i believe megasync is a cloud based sync service that is not included in LM by default but an add on found elsewhere from an ouside source not found in the software manager...your readout seems to indicate that this may well be the problem with your repositories, keys etc and preventing any updates from occuring...if this is the case, you will have to wait for someone in the forums who has experience with this particular service in order to help you with the update portion of this forum thread...boot partition seems to be solved but update system is not...is this correct?...DAMIEN

NOTE...it also seems to keep mentioning xubuntu and not linux mint.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ofthewoods

Post by ofthewoods »

I keep trying and now it says check your local internet connection
ofthewoods

Post by ofthewoods »

Yes, you are correct the partition is working but now I can't update.
ofthewoods

Post by ofthewoods »

I do have mega sync on my computer.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

OK...i thought so...since i have no experience with this program/software etc. you will have to wait for someone else with knowledge of this to come along...just be patient for another to find you here same as i did that will be able to help with this particular issue...at least we got one thing solved, now its someone elses turn to help you with expertise on this particular issue...ill be watching as well to see how this works out for you...at this time, i see no need for a re-install, im sure this can and will be resolved for you...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

You may also wish to consider starting a new thread specifically dealing with "megasync preventing update manager updates" since boot partition problem is now fixed...by opening new thread titled, "megasync preventing update manager updates", this will draw specific attention to this particular issue and probably bring a faster response...DAMIEN
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I did some research for you and this is what i came up with.

It appears that the developers of megasync were rather negligent of keeping public key up to date with revised version and i think therein lies the problem...copy and paste the following code into your terminal and see if that updates the key for you...this is only applicable if megasync was installed prior to Aug. 1st, 2019 on bionic 18.04 systems...the new 18.10 key should work just fine with the 18.04 bionic systems...DAMIEN

wget -q -O - https://mega.nz/linux/MEGAsync/xUbuntu_18.10/Release.key | sudo apt-key add -
then run

sudo apt update
reboot and then see if now your update manager works again

Return to “Beginner Questions”