Torrent client can't find my second hdd`

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
niikolaypopov

Torrent client can't find my second hdd`

Post by niikolaypopov »

Hi all,

When i tried to download torrent through qBittorrent client I cannot choose any folder from my second hdd. It is invisible. Is there any solution of this?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrGrimm

Re: Torrent client can't find my second hdd`

Post by MrGrimm »

if you open nemo and scroll down to devices on the left side does it show? if not open disk or gparted and see if it shows in one of them.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Hi Niikolaypopov,
Hope all is well.

1)Have you installed Firejail? Its a sandboxing program, and if so, are you running qbittorrent with Firejail?
If not,
2)Can you access the other directories you are trying to get qbittorrent using your chosen file explorers?
If yes,
3)Can you try using Transmission and see if that can access the files that you are trying to use. It is so efficient anyway but doesn't have all the pretty graphs - it does what it says on the tin and nothing else. Can easily install it, try it, then uninstall it if you don't want it.
If that doesn't work, post back......
Good luck
niikolaypopov

Post by niikolaypopov »

I found that I can't even create new folder on this volume. Also when i try to open my main disk where the OS is installed it throws "Unable to mount location". My previous operating system was Windows 10. When I installed my Linux Mint I just formated only my ssd. Do I need to format both disks and try to make fresh install?
Thanks!
athi

Post by athi »

You mentioned Win10, is Win10 installed on the second HDD that you cannot access?
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

Also, if you are intending to stick with Linux, and there is nothing of importance on the other disk, probably best to format it to EXT4 using GParted unless you are sharing it with a windows installation.
(Click menu, type gparted, type password, select disk/partition, Format to EXT4)
I also had problems with permissions and NTFS drives when I first switched over that were fixed but it ended up being less messy to convert to EXT4.

If you would like to keep it as NTFS then post back.
Post back if you are stuck anyway.
niikolaypopov

Post by niikolaypopov »

Thanks for the information!
My previous OS was Win10 but I decided to switch to linux mint. So I formated my Local Disk C which is on my ssd. It is used only for OS. The other hdd is used for all other information and stuff. Tomorrow I will try to backup all my information and try to format this through Linux to see what will happened.
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

niikolaypopov wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:38 pm Thanks for the information!
My previous OS was Win10 but I decided to switch to linux mint. So I formated my Local Disk C which is on my ssd. It is used only for OS. The other hdd is used for all other information and stuff. Tomorrow I will try to backup all my information and try to format this through Linux to see what will happened.
before you format it please do what i asked install gparted if not installed and see if you can see the drive there. regardless of ntfs or ext4 you should be able to see it and at least open you nonwindows specific files. the only issue you should have is permissions.
niikolaypopov

Post by niikolaypopov »

Ok, I will try today and I will post back the result.
Thanks!
niikolaypopov

Post by niikolaypopov »

Hi, I installed Gparted and I am able to see the disk. It is in NTFS format. Maybe the main problem is permission. Could you please give me an advice how to fix it?
Thanks!
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Could be the case that there is a hiberfil.sys file left over from when you had Windows installed. This would usually hinder an NTFS formatted partition to be mounted by Linux since the latter regards it as being still in use by Windows.

If you have the possibility to plugg your drive into a Windows machine, you could remove the said file following the instructions in the link below:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/w ... delete-it/
(Please read until the very end)

If you can't and you don't have any data of value on the drive, I would follow the advice already given above on formatting the drive.
Last edited by Sir Charles on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
niikolaypopov

Post by niikolaypopov »

Thanks! I think to copy all data from my hdd to my external hdd and to format the drive. I think it would solve my problem, Is there any specific format that i have to choose when i do this or it is ok to keep NTFS format?
Thanks!

P.S.: I am new in Linux. Sorry for these too much questions.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

But how are you going to copy your data if you cannot mount it?
niikolaypopov wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:42 am P.S.: I am new in Linux. Sorry for these too much questions.
No worries at all! We are all in some stage of our learning curve in Linux. New is a relative term in this regard.
niikolaypopov

Post by niikolaypopov »

Hi,

I am able to view all files on this drive but I am unable to create or edit the files. I will put this hard disk on windows to copy all the data and to format the disk.

Thanks!
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

since you have the above option after you copy your data and have the drive back with linux format it to ext 4. once that is done attempt the various file operations cause you probably will find that you need to adjust your permissions cause you won't have all the file operations available right out of the gate. since i'm still getting use to changing and how to change permissions i'll leave walking you through that to others that are more experienced.
athi

Post by athi »

Tutorial on how to add a HDD, just need to replace gedit (old CLI editor) with nano (new Mint CLI editor):
https://mintguide.org/system/369-mounti ... -mint.html
niikolaypopov

Post by niikolaypopov »

Hi there! I solved the problem with the permissions on my second hdd but there is a problem with my main hard drive where the OS is based. When I try to open the disk it shows me "Unable to mount location" "Can't mount file". Is there any solution for this?
athi

Post by athi »

What item did you click in the left pane of file manager did you have this issue with and did you try a reboot?
niikolaypopov

Post by niikolaypopov »

athi wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 am What item did you click in the left pane of file manager did you have this issue with and did you try a reboot?
I am opening the Computer icon on the desktop. In the opened window i can see my two disks. I have solved the problem with the additional hdd but when i try to open my ssd where the OS is based to view the folders and files in the directory it shows me the message that I mentioned in the previous post.

Thanks!
MrGrimm

Post by MrGrimm »

if i remember right the os drive is for some reason listed more than once as different things and one is never accessible.

Return to “Beginner Questions”