Rygel is blocked by Gufw in Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Rygel is blocked by Gufw in Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon SOLVED

Post by Rtep »

I installed Rygel, trying to run DLNA service. TV did recognised and open folders for viewing,,,,BUT!....ONLY when GuFW is switched OFF. I believe firewall is blocking some ports which need to be open for Rygel to work. Why is Rygel available for installation from Software Manager, when is blocked by firewall, is beyond logic. It is insane.Can any one know what ports need to be open in firewall for Rygel? Thanx for any help in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Rygel is blocked by Gufw in Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Post by trytip »

what port are you trying to open or close? do you know the port rygel use? GUFW is a simple port blocker and needs precise port number to allow or deny.
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rtep »

Hi, thanx for your respond. I'm not trying to block or allow any port , because simply I do not know what port need to be open for Rygel That's why I'm looking for any help here. By fact that Rygel is working just fine with firewall disabled AND not working when is ON is telling me that firewall is blocking Rygel. Any idea what to do?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Rtep

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

As far as I know the only Firewall ports that needs to be open for Rygel DLNA are the UDP 1900 and the 65530 TCP port.

Setting up rygel on your Fedora system - Fedora user group
http://fedora.soup.io/post/312698686/Se ... ora-system

Projects/Rygel - GNOME Wiki!
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/Rygel

Lets make a rygel install HOWTO/ FAQ !
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/rygel-l ... 00002.html

Ubuntu Manpage: rygel.conf - Rygel configuration file
https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bi ... onf.5.html

There are other choices for DLNA / UPnP streaming for your multimedia files including "minidlna" (allow UDP/TCP port 8200), and the various media servers like "UMS" Ultimate Media Server, Kodi (xbms), Plex, Emby, etc... I don't like having a service run all the time because I don't have a dedicated computer as a media server, so I prefer "UMS" which is easy to install and use (open firewall TCP port 5001). FYI: I have a mini portable travel router (very cool and uses Linux) that has "minidlna" installed and can stream any multimedia content from any USB drive or USB stick I connect to it.

* Media Server - What to use? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=273165&hilit=media+server+ultimate

MiniDLNA UPnP Media Server – Debian – Linux. – terminal28.com
https://terminal28.com/minidlna-upnp-me ... ian-linux/

Setup MiniDLNA on Ubuntu
https://www.smarthomebeginner.com/insta ... untu-1204/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Any idea what to do?
yes find out the port it uses so you can allow it. in gufw under the report tab you see all the connections, what do you have there?
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rtep »

Here is what I found in the firewall report
Firewall report.v01.png
Those rygel port are already open or blocked?
athi

Post by athi »

Would a sudo ufw allow Rygel create rule to allow rygel through UFW?
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

add a rule start with 1900, reboot and see that the other two ports are the same. you can then add them also one at a time in the simple mode of gufw

when the ports are in use they will turn different colors in the report tab
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Re: (SOLVED)Rygel is blocked by Gufw in Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Post by Rtep »

Thanx guys for your help. I learn something new. I created "allow" rules and Rygel is working now. GREAT! Also...I tried UMS. Downloaded, extracted, clicked on .sh file (somebody advice). UMS opened, I did some settings, BUT...when I close it I did not found way how to starter UI from desktop. Even when 0pened from that.sh file, my TV did not found it. It was disappointment, because UMS features are excellent. Well, for now I'll run Rygel. Thanx again.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: (SOLVED)Rygel is blocked by Gufw in Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon

Post by phd21 »

Hi Rtep,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

FYI-1: When creating a firewall rule for opening a port for an application, you normally do not need to specify a specific local lan IP address for the computer running the media server unless you use a VPN connection, use the simple tab in the firewall and create one rule for any IP address, see screenshot. Note that some applications require adding multiple firewall rules for multiple ports like "Kodi", "Plex", etc...

FYI-2: UMS is an excellent media server and if you followed my instructions in my replies in that link and installed Java 8 runtime and made that the default Java runtime, it should have worked.

In my KDE Neon desktop, my desktop shortcut uses the command below, just browse to wherever you downloaded and extracted the folder for UMS then add the word bash in front of it, some systems don't even need that and some only need a "./" in front of the path location to their USM.sh file

Code: Select all

bash /home/user69/apps/ums-8.2.0/UMS.sh
Tip: If you want to see what an application does when it starts and is working, or if you want to diagnose "debug" something, you can run its startup command from a console terminal prompt. You would have to be in that application's folder or specify the full path to the file to run the command. You can usually see what the problem is, or copy and paste the results here and we can help.
In my case the command would look like below.

bash /home/user69/apps/ums-8.2.0/UMS.sh
or

./home/user69/apps/ums-8.2.0/UMS.sh
Hope this helps ...
Add a Simple Firewall rule for opening a port for TCP/UDP for any computer or device on the local network, any local (lan) IP addresses.
Add a Simple Firewall rule for opening a port for TCP/UDP for any computer or device on the local network, any local (lan) IP addresses.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Rygel is blocked by Gufw in Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon SOLVED

Post by Rtep »

Thanx for info. It is pretty long way to do needed steps, with possibility to make a few errors. When I start using Linux, I believe it was much easier. Just click on .deb package and that was all. Today, most of applications not included in Software Manager are tarball files with different procedures for installation. Why? I do not know. I will maybe try install UMS on one of my laptops, not to mess with main machine. And yes, I'm using VPN. Is that complicating my situation?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Rtep,

You are welcome...again...

There are many applications available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) over 50,000, but there are a lot of other really good to superb applications that are not in the Mint software repositories and their developers choose how a user gets and installs their software and what other requirements they might need (dependencies) like which version of Java to install and use.

UMS does not really require installing it into your Linux system, it is a self-contained, ready to run, Java application in an archive file that you first extract the archive file which contains their application folder, then you just run their startup script from their extracted folder (UMS.sh) or their java file (ums.jar); they recommend their script.

I recommend and also use a VPN provider's server connection and in UMS per their instructions you can specify the computer's local IP address that is running UMS in its General Tab settings under "Force IP of the server" and enter in the local IP address (192.168.xxx.xxx) of the computer and it should work well.
phd21-For installing UMS Ultimate Media Server wrote: Step 1: Install required dependencies using command below or from Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). Like many applications, UMS requires Java runtime preferably Java 8 (openjdk-8) and you may have to make Java 8 the default Java runtime.

sudo apt-get install mediainfo mediainfo-gui openjdk-8-jre wget ffmpeg x264 x265
Make Java 8 the default using the command below

sudo update-alternatives --config java
Step 2: Click link below to Download the "Universal Media Server Linux (package)", UMS self-contained archive file"

Download Universal Media Server (UMS).
https://www.fosshub.com/Universal-Media-Server.html

Step 3: Using your file manager, right-click the "UMS-.tgz" file and select extract here which creates a "ums-" folder. I recommend moving the folder to your home folder or into an "apps" folder underneath your home folder. Go into their folder and check to make sure you have permission to run the UMS startup script file (ums.sh) or the Java jar file (ums.jar), (right-click the file, properties, permissions tab, check allow execute, apply, ok).

Step 4: Create a desktop launcher shortcut: Right-click the Desktop and select "Create a new Launcher", enter in a name of "UMS" or "Ultimate Media Server", click the browse button to the right of the command box and browse to that folder and the recommended startup file "UMS.sh", or the "ums.jar" file, for comments enter in media server or leave blank, click Apply/Ok (if asked to add to your menu, say yes). Their icon "logo.png" in under their "web" subfolder. FYI: Depending upon your Linux Mint edition and version, if you use their recommended startup script file, then you may have to change the shortcut launcher command box to add "./" or "bash " in front of the command, "./UMS.sh" or "bash UMS.sh" for the application to start properly.

Examples of what the command box of the desktop or menu shortcut launcher would look like, but your path location to their folder and startup file will be different.

using their startup script file:

/home/user69/apps/ums-7.8.0/UMS.sh
or

./home/user69/apps/ums-7.8.0/UMS.sh
or

bash /home/user69/apps/ums-7.8.0/UMS.sh
OR use their Java file UMS.jar, the script is preferred
example

/home/user69/apps/ums-7.8.0/ums.jar
or

java -jar /home/user69/apps/ums-7.8.0/ums.jar
Step 5: add a simple firewall rule in your firewall application which is in your menus or System Settings for the default port which is 5001 which you can change if you want in the General Configuration tab. If you use a VPN network connection like I do, then you will want to specify the computer running UMS local IP address (usually something like 192.168.1.xxx) in the UMS General Configuration Tab "Force IP of server" box, click restart server button on top.

Just click the new desktop shortcut launcher icon to start UMS, when UMS is first run:
- it will ask for language and defaults to English pick one and click select,
- Should UMS start Minimized say No,
- Which best describes your Internet: wired (normal), wired 100 (fast), or wireless - pick one for the computer the UMS server is running on.
- Should UMS hide its advanced options - I always say no to this,
- then it asks to choose a default media folder and I always pick Videos and you can add more folders later under Navigation/shares tab to other drives and partitions even mounted USB drives or USB sticks and mounted NAS drives and their partitions.

Must restart UMS after making changes.

- That's it and it comes right up...

If for whatever reason UMS does not come up run the command below and make Java 8 the default.

sudo update-alternatives --config java
And, if you want you can also install Oracle's Java using the link below.

Update 05/2019: Oracle Java 8 runtime or development software must be installed in a different way because the Webupd8 PPA no longer works.

Another post with instructions for Oracle's Java 8
Application .zip install - Page 2 - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=291916&p=1626710#p1626710
Hope this helps ...
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Rtep wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:59 am Today, most of applications not included in Software Manager are tarball files with different procedures for installation. Why?
this is so that all the linux distributions can run off the same tarball, some have easy instructions and included some are not even close to user friendly. these are just default templates and then it's the distribution choice if they want to build it as a package and add it to their repository.
i wish things were simpler like firejail development release. i install it with these instructions https://github.com/netblue30/firejail mind you if you have a packaged version that needs to be uninstalled as this will build in a local root directory of /usr/local/ and if you run the same install command it will update itself.
building and installing require development packages so i would surely do a timeshift snapshot if you decide the dev files are taking too much space
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rtep »

I tried UMS and removed it from my system. UMS did NOT let me use external HD for all my media. That's major disadvantage. I will not clog my OS drive with all that stuff. Still looking for something better than Rygel.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Rtep,

You are mistaken, UMS will indeed allow you to add external drives and their folders with almost any file system (Linux ext4, NTFS, Fat32, etc..) to be used as a library for streaming your multimedia content. I do that right now and have been for years. Of course the drives have to be "mounted" to be available and if they have a file system like "extfat" or MacOS, then you will have to install those file system drivers from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" before you can access them. You can just click the drive and or its partitions to mount them, or you can make other attached drives (internal or external) be mounted automatically when you login if you use the "Disks" application or edit the "fstab" file manually for the drives and their partitions. Note: Some applications like "Plex" media server did not like the default mounting location that Linux Mint uses of "/media/UserName/drive_partition/" but works well if you change it to "/mnt/drive_partition_label/" which the "Disks" application can easily help with.

See link below on how to automatically mount drives and their partitions which works with any installed file system.
NTFS Partition does not activate even with automount, until clicking drive in file manager - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=278971&hilit=disks+ntfs

What does, "I will not clog my OS drive with all that stuff." mean? All media servers and many applications require various other software packages (dependencies) to be installed and the only dependency UMS has is Java 8 runtime being installed and set as the default Java runtime. UMS is one of the lightest media server applications on system resources (577.9 MB of memory) and using less than 150mb of disk space.

"Minidlna" has been around a long time and works well that you might consider installing and trying if you don't want to use UMS.

Hope this helps ...
UMS - Ultimate Media Server with shared folders including local and external drives
UMS - Ultimate Media Server with shared folders including local and external drives
Rtep
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Rtep »

"I will not clog my OS drive with all that stuff." mean?, That mean...I'm using Acronis True Image for make whole ext4 partition backup. If I put all those videos, pictures and music on that same named folders I will actually make that partition full and evidently, backup will be huge. Sorry I did not explained that earlier. I'm not using Linux System Snapshots, because is very stupid way to do it. It is basically "restore points" derivate from Windows. I did not found way how to pick other than default folders - Music, Pictures and Video - from OS partition. And yes my other HD in my computer was mounted. It did not found external HD also. All those HD are formatted in NTFS. How can I make UMS to see them? Thanx in advance for any help.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Rtep,

You are welcome...

I understand your "clog" comment now. There is no need to duplicate the files to the local drive because UMS and other media servers can use the files on the drives they are already on as long as they are mounted and available.

Tip Note: UMS and other media servers don't like folders on different drives and or their partitions having the exact same names like having two or more "Videos" folders, so as I stated in my link, if need be, rename the folder(s) on the external drives to Videos2, or Movies, or Videos-USB-2, etc...

You need to know when you have your drives connected to your system where they are mounted, the path location to the drive partition and its folders and files. Your file manager may show that information by clicking the drive partition on the left-side and looking at the top or you can use the "Disks" application to click the drive on the left, then click the partition on the right-side to see the "mounting point" below. Then in UMS, under the shared folders, when you click the folder icon to add a folder, you file browse to that location and a specific folder. You an add multiple shared folders on the same drive partition and or different drives and their partitions. After adding folders, either restart UMS or click restart button on top, and your USM should be working well.

Hope this helps ...
file manager showing another drive partition that I use for UMS
file manager showing another drive partition that I use for UMS
The "Disks" application showing a disk and another partition NTFS that I am using for UMS with its mounting point location.
The "Disks" application showing a disk and another partition NTFS that I am using for UMS with its mounting point location.

Return to “Software & Applications”