[solved I think]Timeshift and flatpaks

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

[solved I think]Timeshift and flatpaks

Post by HaveaMint »

In a quest to reduce the size of the system snapshots with timeshift I can reduce it quite a bit by excluding /var/lib/flatpak/. My question is when a restore is done will excluding this cause any problems?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
In2Blues
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Timeshift and flatpaks

Post by In2Blues »

HaveaMint wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:13 am In a quest to reduce the size of the system snapshots with timeshift I can reduce it quite a bit by excluding /var/lib/flatpak/. My question is when a restore is done will excluding this cause any problems?
Not an expert here but I'm going to assume that if you installed any flatpak packages then they would not be restored with Timeshift. You would have to reinstall them manually. It shouldn't affect anything else.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
Kernel: 4.15.0-52-generic
Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz x 6
8GB RAM
Intel graphics
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

One way to avoid this problem is to switch your flatpaks to your user account. By default, flatpaks on Mint use the system repo, installing everything to the folder you mentioned above. If you switch to the user repo, they will be installed to ~/.local/share/flatpak. There will still be a few files saved under /var/lib/flatpak, but the space used is negligible.

If you're interested on how to do this, let me know.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

ajgringo619 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:55 pm If you're interested on how to do this, let me know.
Yes that would be nice TY.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

HaveaMint wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:05 pm
ajgringo619 wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:55 pm If you're interested on how to do this, let me know.
Yes that would be nice TY.
OK - this is a 3-step process.
  • Uninstall all of your current flatpaks, then remove the system repo:

Code: Select all

flatpak remote-delete flathub
  • Next, add the user repo:

Code: Select all

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists --user flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
  • Now you can reinstall your apps
As a test, just install something small, then run flatpak list --user, then flatpak list --system. This will confirm that you added the repo correctly.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

Thanks AJ
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

If I'm reading your steps correct I can assume if it isn't included in my timeshift snapshots then on a restore without the flatpaks it would break anything I have installed with flatpaks.
I guess that answers the original question also.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

HaveaMint wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:21 pm If I'm reading your steps correct I can assume if it isn't included in my timeshift snapshots then on a restore without the flatpaks it would break anything I have installed with flatpaks.
I guess that answers the original question also.
Yes. Since Timeshift omits home directories, the flatpaks would also be omitted.
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [solved I think]Timeshift and flatpaks

Post by HaveaMint »

Hmmm time to modify settings on TS then thanks.

Return to “Software & Applications”