New, wants to learn and help build this thing

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lacewing

New, wants to learn and help build this thing

Post by lacewing »

I've been using Linux Mint 19.0 for about two months now, no major problems. Of course, there was that one time I deleted the desktop environment while trying to uninstall a piece of software (I think?), but a few searches and terminal commands later, and it was all put back together again.

Which is really, really nice!! Thank you so much to anyone who has worked on this operating system and all its attendant technical and community support systems. Even when bigger problems do happen, as I'm sure they will for me as I become bolder in what I try to do, I'll still always appreciate how easy it was for me to go from a 'broken' laptop to a functional operating system that got me through job applications and more... all from a formatted flashdrive that took maybe 30 minutes to research and set up.

I'm very interested in the terminal program. I've used similar in Windows messing around as a kid, and then later trying to fix various machines, but never became 'fluent' in a way that I have seen linux users are much more frequently, Starting out now just with terminology, basic commands, but maybe the learning curve won't be too bad - we'll see.

I plan on looking around here for learning resources by myself, but if anyone is reading this and has some recommendations I'd love to read them. Same for recommendations on how I can get involved here or elsewhere. Anything for a novice to do? If not I'll come back to that after putting the work in on learning, but it would be nice to start now with it and make it a habit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: New, wants to learn and help build this thing

Post by deck_luck »

When you get some free time I would encourage you to check the linuxcommand.org web site. It is a reasonable site for learning the command line and understanding bash. Also, the site has a free "The Linux Command Line, A Book By William Shotts" pdf book.

For a free formal Linux introduction course, The Linux Foundation in cooperation with edX.org offers a free "Introduction to Linux" online course. See the following link:

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-linux

The course is free if you do not wish to gain the certificate of completion. For new Linux users looking to gain a general insight in to Lunix I highly recommend it.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
In2Blues
Level 2
Level 2

Post by In2Blues »

deck_luck wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:24 am When you get some free time I would encourage you to check the linuxcommand.org web site. It is a reasonable site for learning the command line and understanding bash. Also, the site has a free "The Linux Command Line, A Book By William Shotts" pdf book.

For a free formal Linux introduction course, The Linux Foundation in cooperation with edX.org offers a free "Introduction to Linux" online course. See the following link:

https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-to-linux

The course is free if you do not wish to gain the certificate of completion. For new Linux users looking to gain a general insight in to Lunix I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the resources. I've been looking for some good info on using the Command Line.
Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
Kernel: 4.15.0-52-generic
Intel Core i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz x 6
8GB RAM
Intel graphics
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the forums!

Have you considered upgrading 19.0? Jist wondering. :wink:
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. :D :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello lacewing,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello lacewing Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

lacewing wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:04 pm I plan on looking around here for learning resources by myself, but if anyone is reading this and has some recommendations I'd love to read them.
Welcome!

You might find my website with tips and how-to's useful:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com

Take your time getting to know Linux. And above all: have fun. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”