[SOLVED] Update Manager not appearing even after info upgrade to 1.1.4

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
[Jonathan_C_Linux]
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Update Manager not appearing even after info upgrade to 1.1.4

Post by [Jonathan_C_Linux] »

I'm trying to upgrade to 19.2 but the upgrade manager is not available. I have used the " sudo apt install mint-upgrade-info " command in the terminal to upgrade to 1.1.4. But The manager still hasn't appeared.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Upgrade Manager not appearing even after info upgrade to 1.1.4

Post by Larry78723 »

Lot's of folks have problems doing a manual upgrade to 19.x. What version are you upgrading from? The most reliable upgrade method is a clean install.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
[Jonathan_C_Linux]
Level 1
Level 1

I'm currently using 19.1
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Please clarify "The manager still hasn't appeared" - what do you expect it to do? You get an entry in Update Manager's Edit menu to allow you to upgrade, that's all.
[Jonathan_C_Linux]
Level 1
Level 1

The upgrade manager icon does not appear on the panel. And when I search for it, I get no returns. As far as I can tell, I don't even have an Upgrade Manager.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

in a terminal window, run

Code: Select all

mintupdate
and see if there's any output
[Jonathan_C_Linux]
Level 1
Level 1

Command not found. At this point doing a standard install might be the best option.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Either that, or try:

apt reinstall mint-meta-core
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Jonathan, please understand that you're using the wrong term. There is no "upgrade manager." What you should have, what's part of every Mint installation, is Update Manager. That's the thing which has an icon in the system tray. Also can be started from Menu or Terminal. That's also the place from which you can initiate an upgrade (when available), by selecting the option from the Edit drop-down. That Update Manager is (apparently) missing from your system is a separate problem and has nothing to do with the fact that you want to upgrade.
[Jonathan_C_Linux]
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Update Manager not appearing even after info upgrade to 1.1.4

I am working from memory as to what it is called. I have searched for both an Update and Upgrade manager, as well as a manger in general. I have either gotten no returns for the first two, and nothing helpful from the third. Because no one seems to have any useful advice, an install from usb is probably my best option.
martyfender
Level 1
Level 1

Post by martyfender »

If the Update Manager was installed properly, it will appear as an entry in the Administration menu, at least on Linux Mint Mate.It should also show up in the Control Center under Administration.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

[Jonathan_C_Linux] wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:28 pmBecause no one seems to have any useful advice ...
Right, blame us. :roll:
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Jonathan, it may be worth trying this:

apt install --reinstall mintupdate

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

[Jonathan_C_Linux] wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:28 pm Because no one seems to have any useful advice, an install from usb is probably my best option.
Um what? Just because you fail to read it doesn't make it any less useful. Bye.
[Jonathan_C_Linux]
Level 1
Level 1

I grew irritated there after some comments that really shouldn't have upset me as much as they did. The frustration of having no apparent simple solution got to me.
Thank you Moem, you kept a level head and provided me with the information necessary to resolve the issue. The update manager is now present and working normally.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: (Solved) Update Manager not appearing even after info upgrade to 1.1.4

Post by Moem »

Glad you got it fixed. To be fair, the simple solution given here viewtopic.php?f=46&t=300462#p1676627 would most likely have worked too. I'm going to guess that you overlooked it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Moem wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:26 amTo be fair, the simple solution given here viewtopic.php?f=46&t=300462#p1676627 would most likely have worked too.
For future reference, I got curious why gm10 recommended doing it that way, testing in a VBox snapshot. The broader command indeed installs mintupdate, plus another five packages of which the most important seems to be the desktop meta package, e.g., mint-meta-mate. Notably, if the OP got in this fix by deleting Mint Update, that meta package would have been removed also, so this was the only way to get it back (simply reinstalling mintupdate doesn't do it). Of course, gm10 may have had other reasons also, but that's the main difference I noticed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [SOLVED] Update Manager not appearing even after info upgrade to 1.1.4

Post by Moem »

OP, both pbear and gm10 know more about Linux than I do. Just so you're aware!

gm10

Post by gm10 »

pbear wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:24 pm
Moem wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:26 amTo be fair, the simple solution given here viewtopic.php?f=46&t=300462#p1676627 would most likely have worked too.
For future reference, I got curious why gm10 recommended doing it that way, testing in a VBox snapshot. The broader command indeed installs mintupdate, plus another five packages of which the most important seems to be the desktop meta package, e.g., mint-meta-mate. Notably, if the OP got in this fix by deleting Mint Update, that meta package would have been removed also, so this was the only way to get it back (simply reinstalling mintupdate doesn't do it). Of course, gm10 may have had other reasons also, but that's the main difference I noticed.
The reason was that we don't know why OP didn't have mintupdate anymore, but chances are good it wasn't the only thing that got "lost". By (re-)installing the core meta package we ensure that its dependencies get installed again (see apt depends mint-meta-core for the list), i.e. any other missing Mint tools would get installed again as well.

Return to “Installation & Boot”