To report or not report an LM19.2 'bug' on the LM Cinamon Github

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

To report or not report an LM19.2 'bug' on the LM Cinamon Github

Post by oldgranola »

Hello, I have a reproducible issue where cinnamon on LM19.2 crashes at startup to fall back mode both as an upgrade from L19.1 and when booting from a live USB of LM19.2 cinnamon 64bit. The latter caused me to just go back to LM19.1 on that computer as I concluded LM19.2 is not compatible as is. But I do want to make it work at some point, don't like being stuck on what is not the latest and greatest:>). There are two closed issues for LM19.2 cinnamon crashing on startup but not mentioning booting from live USB. I believe the mod closed them because it was considered device specific but that seems odd to me, its still a problem. Question is whether having issues from a live USB is worth posting? I can get a trace file etc per the cinnamon wiki directions but I already have full output of the leadup and dump from journalctl piped via tee to a text file, is that different info? Thought I'd ask it here instead of bothering the mods on Git. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
gm10

Re: To report or not report an LM19.2 'bug' on the LM Cinamon Github

Post by gm10 »

The more details you can provide, the better. Bug reports typically get closed for lack of information (or because the devs do not want to deal with it and kick the ball upstream, heh).

If it's the same issue as here: https://github.com/linuxmint/cinnamon/issues/8710 then best add to that issue.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

looks like Mod leigh123linux closed it.
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
gm10

Post by gm10 »

No, it's still open. And he's not a mod, he's a developer. There are no moderators on github. ;)
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

gm10 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:23 pm No, it's still open. And he's not a mod, he's a developer. There are no moderators on github. ;)
OK thanks! I guess the red button at the bottom right that says "closed" is just a button.
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
gm10

Post by gm10 »

No, it's a link to another issue report that was closed in favour of the one I pointed you at...
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

oldgranola wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:41 am .... I believe the mod closed them because it was considered device specific but that seems odd to me....
Not so odd really, that sort of issue is at a lower level than the DE. Linux is a loot more modular than WIndows and as far as the OS is concerned, Cinnamon (or Xfce etc) is just another bit of app software.

As mentioned, post the text output from running inxi -Fxz in the terminal so others may be able to9 solve the issue.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”