How to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO image of Linux Mint 18.3 on WinXP [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
alza68
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO image of Linux Mint 18.3 on WinXP [Solved]

Post by alza68 »

pbear wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:53 pm
f someone wants to do it the other way, the information is already here in the thread.
Thank you very much Pbear, the addition of information is well appreciated and embraced, the choice is granted to the newbie and let him choose whatever information that best fits his norms.

Regards,
alza68
gm10
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO image of Linux Mint 18.3 on WinXP [Solved]

Post by gm10 »

pbear wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:53 pm
alza68: The whole point of the live session method is to avoid having to install any new apps. If someone wants to do it the other way, the information is already here in the thread.

polarvortex: Nothing is bullet proof. The overwhelming majority of folks don't run the GPG check at all, because it's complicated and unfamiliar. Swapping the ISO is already extremely rare. IMHO, this is good enough, but point taken. It's not bullet proof.
You are basically asking the potentially compromised live session to tell you whether it was compromised, when - if it was compromised - it has all the reason in the world to lie to you about that. At that point you might as well skip the authenticity check, there's no way you could trust the result.
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

I understand the argument, but that conclusion does not follow. OTOH, conflicting advice is worse than none, so I'm going to withdraw the tutorial.

ETA: On reflection, it occurs to me one answer to polarvortex's objection would be to confirm the Software Sources of the live session, then reinstall GPG. Closing that issue
makes the process so complex as to intimidate newbies, though, so I'm not sure it's much of a solution.

Return to “Newbie Questions”