Recording streaming video under linux

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Recording streaming video under linux

Post by GELvdH »

I cut the cord and am streaming all of my video over the internet. With HULU and Firestick they have a record option but since my wife likes several shows on PBS they do not have the record option available. Does anyone know about any software which will work under Linux Mint to record PBS shows?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trapperjohn

Re: Recording streaming video under linux

Post by trapperjohn »

simplescreenrecorder

is the package I would use.
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi GELvdH,

Congrats for "cutting the cord" which works very well if you have a decently fast Internet Service Provider (ISP). Did you choose one of the various online TV streaming providers in addition to Hulu like SlingTV, YouTube TV, etc... and if so which one and do you like it? Or, are you subscribing to individual TV stations?

+1 for the excellent SimpleScreenRecorder (SSR) for recording anything on your desktop.

FYI: Some media servers like Kodi and perhaps Plex and others have DVR / PVR digital personal recorder options.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I just discovered a trick to download videos on some sites where youtube-dl and wget couldn't do it:

Firefox -> rt-click on website -> "save page as" -> get the video's .mp4 file in the "save page as" data directory.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Yes I have a fast ISP, Spectrum advertises 100MBts, of course that is only if you are the only one on that branch of the circuit. Most of the time I run at about 20 -30 MBts which is plenty fast for just about everything except calculating the moon trajectory.
I haven't had a chance to try the record options that were mentioned before, I was busy celebrating my 80th birthday. I will try all of your recommendations. Thanks.
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

I tried the SSR program but could not find any way to preset the time to record a specific program to a specific place, ie. separate large HDD. My wife likes to record some programs from NPR but isn't always there at the right time. Also she is not computer literate so I am looking at something to preset for her. Any suggestions would be welcome.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi GELvdH,
GELvdH wrote:I tried the SSR program but could not find any way to preset the time to record a specific program to a specific place, ie. separate large HDD. My wife likes to record some programs from NPR but isn't always there at the right time. Also she is not computer literate so I am looking at something to preset for her. Any suggestions would be welcome.
I sent you a forum PM (private message), see if "DuckieTV" may help.

You still have not mentioned how you are viewing the PBS NPR broadcasts and if that is a subscription service or free through a browser (and which browser) or using some type of application like a media server Kodi, Plex, etc...

You might even be able to use "youtube-dl" to schedule downloading the PBS and or NPR broadcasts if you have a good working "URL" to a website broadcasting those shows.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Sorry about my lack of info. Yes it is a subscription service and I am using Firestick. I have a whole lot of possible viewing options including PBS, Acorn, Britbox etc.. PBS is the only one that is not able to recall previous shows so if you miss the one you want you are out of luck. Since my wife likes many of the PBS shows but is not able to watch every one I would like to be able to record them for her. I hope this supplies more info. This cord cutting save money but it is a pain in the B.. untill everything is set up.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi GELvdH,

I don't know of any browser add-on that can do timer recordings of a specific tab or website at a specific time. You might be able to install a "macro" add-on (iMacros, etc...) and try that.

Can you please be specific as to what shows they are on PBS and or NPR?

If the show is a regularly broadcast show, then "DuckieTV" and other similar applications could help.

Screencastify | The #1 Screen Recorder for Chrome
https://www.screencastify.com/

*** Also, if you have a stand-alone home DVR like Homerun or another, then you can set that up to record at specific times, but the video input source (Firestick, TV, whatever, etcc...) would also have to be programmed to select that channel or video streaming source at that time.

maybe -> Fire TV Recast, over-the-air DVR, 500 GB, 75 hours
https://www.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Recast-o ... way&sr=8-5

AVerMedia EZRecorder, HD Video Capture High Definition HDMI Recorder, PVR, DVR, Subscription Free, Schedule Recording, IR Blaster (ER310)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KWCFN3O/re ... UTF8&psc=1

digital video recorders (DVR)
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=digital+vide ... nb_sb_noss

Hope this helps ...

Return to “Non-technical Questions”