Unclean file system question!

Forum rules
Before you post please read this
Brydo666
Level 1
Level 1

Unclean file system question!

Post by Brydo666 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:41 am

Everything went great last night with my dual boot but when I re-booted back into Windows it still thought it had the full space of the drive, some applications didn't work and when I attempted to boot back into Mint I had issues there too - telling me to manually load a kernel or something. Very frustrating but since my data was on a secondary drive I took the plunge, installed Mint as the only OS on my SSD.

I've mounted my 6TB (NTFS) drive as data, successfully updating my fstab file so it does it automatically on boot. However it is read only and when doing some troubleshooting the reason is because it has an "unclean file system". Having done some research I see this is because I didn't disable Fastboot on Windows.

The solution is to boot into Windows, disable Fastboot and restart - however I've done away with my Windows install. Are there any alternatives? I do have another laptop running Windows 10 and a USB enclosure at my disposal if I can do something with this?

Or how about this, if I can back up the data are there other benefits of formatting the 6TB drive as a linux filesystem? Maybe this would be simpler, and negate the need to physically pull the drive from the system.

Appreciate the help and patience, I'm determined to stick with Mint.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Unclean file system question!

Post by catweazel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:50 am

Brydo666 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:41 am
The solution is to boot into Windows, disable Fastboot and restart - however I've done away with my Windows install. Are there any alternatives? I do have another laptop running Windows 10 and a USB enclosure at my disposal if I can do something with this?
There's no need for another machine. If you've clobbered Windwoes, use this:

sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdXY where X in sdX is the linux letter identifying the drive, and Y is the partition number. If you're not sure, just post the output of lsblk and sudo blkid. Enclose the results between [ⅽode] and [/ⅽode] code markers by selecting </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply.

Alternatively, if you don't need the data on the NTFS partition, just format it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Brydo666
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Brydo666 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:05 am

Thank you for the help catweazel. I unmounted and re-mounted the drive and it seems to have been successful. I've added the terminal output below just to confirm all is OK.

Code: Select all

chris@chris-mint:~$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 256.2G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0   512M  0 part /boot/efi
└─sda2   8:2    0 255.7G  0 part /
sdb      8:16   0   5.5T  0 disk 
├─sdb1   8:17   0    16M  0 part 
└─sdb2   8:18   0   5.5T  0 part /media/data
chris@chris-mint:~$ sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdb2
[sudo] password for chris:         
Mounting volume... The disk contains an unclean file system (0, 0).
Metadata kept in Windows cache, refused to mount.
FAILED
Attempting to correct errors... 
Processing $MFT and $MFTMirr...
Reading $MFT... OK
Reading $MFTMirr... OK
Comparing $MFTMirr to $MFT... OK
Processing of $MFT and $MFTMirr completed successfully.
Setting required flags on partition... OK
Going to empty the journal ($LogFile)... OK
Checking the alternate boot sector... OK
NTFS volume version is 3.1.
NTFS partition /dev/sdb2 was processed successfully.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:26 am

Brydo666 wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:05 am
Thank you for the help catweazel.
It's my pleasure.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Mounting Partitions”