[workaround found] can't create pannel launcher, where'd the config items go?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

[workaround found] can't create pannel launcher, where'd the config items go?

Post by oldgranola » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 pm

[edit to add, panel launcher-applet still broke but after patch can use the 'desktop launcher tool and add THAT to the panel]
Linux Mint 19.1 cinnamon 4.0.10. Hello, I am trying to create a panel launcher for a program not in the main menu. I right click on the panel, choose add applet to panel. In the applet chooser that comes up I choose panel launcher applet and click on the + button. Nothing happens except for the checkmark being added. I right click on the settings icon for it . I double click on it and a box pops up but the only option is for dragging icons. There is a little menu icon but choosing that only gives options for 'import from file, export to file, reset to defaults'. It seems options items for configuring are gone. This is similar to a bug report for cinnamon 4.0.9 in github but was supposed to be fixed in 4.0.10 which is what I am running
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues/8275. The patch listed there doesn't work because I already am using 4.0.10 or at least I can't seem to apply it via terminal. The patch looks like a couple line changes to the cinnamon-desktop editor ui. Are there individual files I can edit directly?
Last edited by oldgranola on Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: can't create pannel launcher, where'd the config items go?

Post by catweazel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:38 pm

oldgranola wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 pm
I can't seem to apply it via terminal.
Define "I can't seem to apply it via terminal."
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:02 am

Hello Catweazel and thanks. After wget the patch and unzipping: Running

Code: Select all

sudo patch /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py < cinnamon-desktop-editor-c42a03a.py.patch
first threw an alert that the action is retrograde and set up an option for 'patch -R' [n]?. I chose both y and n but the patch apparently was rejected. The result was the creation of a file in /user/share/ cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py.rej (rejected) and no change to cinnnamon-desktop-editor.py vs cinnnamon-desktop-editor.py.orig. At any rate, the menu options for configuring launchers were not restored to what I remember. Only option still is whether to be able to drag icons or not.

Thats partly why I was asking about just editing the desktop editor py directly or if there are any config files I can edit. But I have no idea which lines. If I look at the patch file itself there are clues but not quite enough for me.
Patch file content:

--- /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py	2019-01-08 16:38:19.000000000 +0000
+++ cinnamon-desktop-editor-c42a03a.py	2019-01-10 05:03:36.957804577 +0000
@@ -223,7 +223,8 @@
         chooser.destroy()

def check_custom_path(self):
-        self.item_path = os.path.join(util.getUserItemPath(), os.path.split(self.item_path)[1])
+        if self.item_path:
+            self.item_path = os.path.join(util.getUserItemPath(), os.path.split(self.item_path)[1])

class DirectoryEditor(ItemEditor):
     ui_file = '/usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/directory-editor.ui'
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:27 pm

Here's the actual output taking both options:

fun@fun2:~$ sudo patch /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py < cinnamon-desktop-editor-c42a03a.py.patch
[sudo] password for fun:           
patching file /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] 
Apply anyway? [n] y
Hunk #1 FAILED at 223.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py.rej
fun@fun2:~$ sudo patch /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py < cinnamon-desktop-editor-c42a03a.py.patch
patching file /usr/share/cinnamon/cinnamon-desktop-editor/cinnamon-desktop-editor.py
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Assume -R? [n] y
But didn't fix.......
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:24 am

Perhaps related, when I right click on a launcher on the panel I get context menus with prefferences but those apply globally to the panel Shouldn't I get options to configure the launcher itself such as target and behaviour? Is there a way to edit what is on the context menu? There are options in the preferences/context tab but you have limited choices. We used to have more control. Cinnamon seems to be going downhill.
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

eu2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by eu2 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:46 pm

oldgranola wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:28 pm
Linux Mint 19.1 cinnamon 4.0.10. Hello, I am trying to create a panel launcher for a program not in the main menu. I right click on the panel, choose add applet to panel. In the applet chooser that comes up I choose panel launcher applet and click on the + button. Nothing happens except for the checkmark being added. I right click on the settings icon for it . I double click on it and a box pops up but the only option is for dragging icons. There is a little menu icon but choosing that only gives options for 'import from file, export to file, reset to defaults'. It seems options items for configuring are gone.

Are there individual files I can edit directly?
Hi oldgranola,

I had all kinds of issues transitioning from xfce to cinnamon.
Thankfully some patience, searches and pointers from very helpful forum members got me through it.
Most of the solutions I've found are more cheats than logical solutions, but the ends justify the means and I honestly don't care as long as I can achieve the wanted result.

Try cheating; from the mint menu just find some random app, right click on it and click on add to panel.
eg this is a text editor:
Right click on the added icon and left click on edit
1.png
You then get a dialogue box you can customise the name, target location (command), icon or an option to launch from a terminal.
ie:
2.png
2.png (59.68 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Is this a great way of adding a custom launcher?
Of course not, but it's a fairly easy work around.

I hope I've interpreted your question correctly and this has been helpful.
Regards,
Euan.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:50 pm

Hello eu2. That's the problem right there. Cant do it that way anymore as that menu item is gone for some. Known issue on Git as i explained above
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

eu2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by eu2 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:27 pm

oldgranola wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:50 pm
Hello eu2. That's the problem right there. Cant do it that way anymore as that menu item is gone for some. Known issue on Git as i explained above
Why is this in the Newbie section?

Is this still an issue for some with cinnamon 4.2.3?

Apologies oldgranola, for jumping in before reading your github link.

I occasionally try and help in the newbies section and as you can tell if you read some of the threads in my post history it's sometimes a bit of a hit and miss.

Kind regards,

Euan.

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:18 pm

oldgranola, the linked bug report and the patch had nothing to do with editing or adding panel launchers, it was a bug in 4.0.9 specific to the create launcher action on the desktop only.

When you add a panel launcher applet, do you get the three default launchers (Files, Firefox and Terminal) on the panel? If so doesn't right click on one of those give an add option?

If not try a Cinnamon restart Ctrl-Alt-Esc immediately after adding the panel launcher applet to see if the three default launchers appear.

Also just to to double check you are right clicking on a panel launcher applet icon and not a grouped window list pinned app icon?
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:17 pm

smurphos wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:18 pm
oldgranola, the linked bug report and the patch had nothing to do with editing or adding panel launchers, it was a bug in 4.0.9 specific to the create launcher action on the desktop only.

When you add a panel launcher applet, do you get the three default launchers (Files, Firefox and Terminal) on the panel? If so doesn't right click on one of those give an add option?

If not try a Cinnamon restart Ctrl-Alt-Esc immediately after adding the panel launcher applet to see if the three default launchers appear.

Also just to to double check you are right clicking on a panel launcher applet icon and not a grouped window list pinned app icon?
Hello,
I do not get those three default launchers on the panel when I add a luncher applet to the panel (but I've added them via picking launchers in the menu). I cannot edit or further configure those launchers on the panel. I can right click on the panel and get the add applet option and add a launcher applet. when I right click on a panel launcher-applet that I've just added to the panel. I get "visible on all work spaces, move to another workspace, preferences, maximize, minimize, close". If I click on preferences I get options for "behavior allow moving objects" button.If I open preference - configure I pull up the box for managing grouped icons but no where to change or add the target of the launcher. But you just gave me an idea thank you very much. I rechecked if I can make a launcher on the desktop since I had tried to add the patch. Voilet I can add and configure the launcher on the desktop. Before I could not. I can then add THAT launcher to the panel. So thats the work around now eh? I just cannot add and/or configure a launcher directly in the panel which is a little bit of a bummer in that i cannot then change context menu stuff for it.
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

smurphos
Level 13
Level 13

Post by smurphos » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:52 pm

Sounds like you were right clicking on a grouped window list pinned app icon and not a panel launcher icon. Grouped window list was new in Cinnamon 4 on Mint 19.1 and replaced panel launchers + regular window list as the default 'Modern' panel layout, but as you found out doesn't offer the ability to add or modify pinned apps from the panel.

Anyway you've discovered the workflow for yourself to add custom pinned apps now so all's well I guess.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

oldgranola
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oldgranola » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:34 pm

smurphos wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:52 pm
Sounds like you were right clicking on a grouped window list pinned app icon and not a panel launcher icon. Grouped window list was new in Cinnamon 4 on Mint 19.1 and replaced panel launchers + regular window list as the default 'Modern' panel layout, but as you found out doesn't offer the ability to add or modify pinned apps from the panel.

Anyway you've discovered the workflow for yourself to add custom pinned apps now so all's well I guess.
almost correct but not quite. It was the same for both grouped window list for pinned app icon AND panel launcher icon while trying to add and configure a panel launcher icon. That still doesn't work. Also, this issue didnt' come up when I went from 19.0 to 19.1, just when I downgraded from 19.2 back to 19.1 due to cinnamon crashing and then applied updates. But ya, I do have my work around this cinnamon regression and can deal with it. thanks again smurphos!
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Return to “Newbie Questions”