PC won't resume from suspension...

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mrgta67

PC won't resume from suspension...

Post by mrgta67 »

Installed Cinnamon and Mate with both not being able to be awoke out of suspension. I have to push the power button to turn it off; then push it again if I am needing to use it. The PC seems to wake, but the flat screen does not receive a signal. Oh yea, the HDMI socket doesn't work either. ANY info would be appreciated!

Code: Select all

<internet3@downstairsiiiufinazhle:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
Host: downstairsiiiufinazhle Kernel: 4.15.0-58-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.3
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
Type: Desktop System: Hewlett-Packard
product: HP Compaq dc7900 Convertible Minitower v: N/A serial: <filter>
Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 3032h serial: <filter> BIOS: Hewlett-Packard
v: 786G1 v01.22 date: 08/25/2009
Battery:
Device-1: hidpp_battery_0 model: Logitech Wireless Mouse M310/M310t
charge: 55% status: Discharging
Device-2: hidpp_battery_1 model: Logitech K520 charge: 70%
CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 Duo E8500 bits: 64 type: MCP
arch: Penryn rev: A L2 cache: 6144 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 12633
Speed: 1995 MHz min/max: 1998/3166 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1995 2: 1995
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Venus LE / Tropo PRO-L [Radeon HD 8830M / R7 M465X]
vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 20:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: ati,radeon
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1360x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD VERDE (DRM 2.50.0 4.15.0-58-generic LLVM 8.0.0)
v: 4.5 Mesa 19.0.8 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 82801JD/DO HD Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
Device-2: Conexant Systems CX23418 Single-Chip MPEG-2 Encoder with
Integrated Analog Video/Broadcast Audio Decoder
vendor: Hauppauge works driver: cx18 v: 1.5.1 bus ID: 07:09.0
Device-3: ViXS Systems XCode 2100 Series vendor: ASUSTeK driver: N/A
bus ID: 07:0b.0
Device-4: AMD Cape Verde/Pitcairn HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7700/7800 Series]
vendor: Micro-Star MSI driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 20:00.1
Device-5: Hauppauge type: USB driver: au0828,snd-usb-audio bus ID: 1-6:3
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-58-generic
Network:
Device-1: Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: 2100 bus ID: 00:19.0
IF: enp0s25 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 3.87 TiB used: 19.11 GiB (0.5%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: A-Data model: SU800 size: 238.47 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD2003FYYS-02W0B1
size: 1.82 TiB
ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Western Digital model: WD2003FYYS-02W0B1
size: 1.82 TiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 232.08 GiB used: 18.96 GiB (8.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-1
ID-2: /boot size: 703.5 MiB used: 150.3 MiB (21.4%) fs: ext4
dev: /dev/sda1
ID-3: swap-1 size: 980.0 MiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-2
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 37.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: radeon temp: 37 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
Processes: 205 Uptime: 1h 41m Memory: 7.72 GiB used: 2.36 GiB (30.6%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20
inxi: 3.0.32
internet3@downstairsiiiufinazhle:~$ >
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: PC won't resume from suspension...

Post by gittiest personITW »

Hi,
To wake my system up, I have to give the power button a quick press. (just a suggestion in case you haven't tried a quick press)
The keyboard/mouse won't wake it.
mrgta67

Post by mrgta67 »

Hi gittest,
If the PC sits idle long enough, the TV will go into suspension. I can do a quick push on the power button and it will resume the screen and I can use both my mouse and keyboard to log back in. The PC doesn't actually go into suspension, it just logs out and the TV suspends.
Now IF I put the PC into suspension (through the software), the PC actually suspends (as well as the TV/monitor). Pushing the power button on the PC seems to wake up the PC, but it does not wake the screen. I do thank you for your time responding!!! Hope you have a GREAT day!!!
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Hi,
Just found the post again.

If you go into System Settings, Screensaver Settings
Try the following - both settings to do with Lock the Computer are unticked
And the Screensaver is set to Never.

Try putting the system in Suspension by clicking Menu, Quit (red power button), Suspend
See if that helps or gives the same problem. Good luck.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

There's various components that can be at fault here. Try the following, open a terminal window, type this but don't run it yet:

xrandr --output HDMI-1 --auto
(instead of HDMI-1 the name of your output my be different, run xrandr --listmonitors to get the name of the output on your system listed on the right)

Then suspend the system, and after you resume press Enter to run the command, see if the screen turns on. If yes we can just script that to happen automatically upon resume. That would be the simplest case.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Run the memtest program from a LIVE DVD or USB. Good RAM is the most important ingredient to make sure that Suspend works. Any memory leaks in bad or failing RAM can make Suspend fail.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
mrgta67

Post by mrgta67 »

gittiest personITW wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:39 pm Hi,
Just found the post again.

If you go into System Settings, Screensaver Settings
Try the following - both settings to do with Lock the Computer are unticked
And the Screensaver is set to Never.

Try putting the system in Suspension by clicking Menu, Quit (red power button), Suspend
See if that helps or gives the same problem. Good luck.
Looks like I'm gonna need some luck cause already did your suggestion...Thanks for the input though!!!
M
mrgta67

Post by mrgta67 »

gm10 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:48 pm There's various components that can be at fault here. Try the following, open a terminal window, type this but don't run it yet:

xrandr --output HDMI-1 --auto
(instead of HDMI-1 the name of your output my be different, run xrandr --listmonitors to get the name of the output on your system listed on the right)

Then suspend the system, and after you resume press Enter to run the command, see if the screen turns on. If yes we can just script that to happen automatically upon resume. That would be the simplest case.
I did that and no go...thanks for the suggestion!
M
mrgta67

Post by mrgta67 »

Spearmint2 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:21 pm Run the memtest program from a LIVE DVD or USB. Good RAM is the most important ingredient to make sure that Suspend works. Any memory leaks in bad or failing RAM can make Suspend fail.
Hi S,
I ran the memory test and integrity test via live boot. Everything came back good. I have discovered something different though. If I don't manually put the PC to suspend it will put the monitor to sleep but won't put PC into suspend ever. It won't resume with either the mouse or keyboard UNTIL I give the power button a quick push. The monitor will then resume and both my mouse and keyboard are working and I can sign in.
It only will suspend both the PC and monitor when I hit the "start" button (sorry, I am a windows refugee), power icon and then click suspend that my PC will actually suspend. It "seems" like it is an issue with the ubs not being able to resume the PC...but I am far from knowing what I am talking about...Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
M
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

mine only resumes from the keyboard, not the mouse. I use a TekEagle and first had to use a "quirks" mode in grub.cfg, but for it to become able to wake up from suspend, other than using a quick hit of the case start button, was a hunt I hope to not repeat again. The answer was finding all the places that usb settings are, then running through them to find the exact place I could set the USB port I use to remain POWER ON always. The lsusb command can give you the Bus and Device numbers for the keyboard, and the journey begins from there.

Here's some better help page than I had at the time, since I did the long search on all things "usb" in File System to find where to fix it.

https://www.sealevel.com/support/how-to ... -in-linux/

https://www.linuxnix.com/find-usb-devic ... b-command/
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Can you try the same thing and instead use the command

shutdown now
and see if it shuts down? Want to know if it's just the output that's the problem or if it never fully resumes.

Also you should check /var/log/syslog and /var/log/kern.log to see what it says.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Spearmint2 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:21 pm mine only resumes from the keyboard, not the mouse. I use a TekEagle and first had to use a "quirks" mode in grub.cfg, but for it to become able to wake up from suspend, other than using a quick hit of the case start button, was a hunt I hope to not repeat again. The answer was finding all the places that usb settings are, then running through them to find the exact place I could set the USB port I use to remain POWER ON always. The lsusb command can give you the Bus and Device numbers for the keyboard, and the journey begins from there.

Here's some better help page than I had at the time, since I did the long search on all things "usb" in File System to find where to fix it.

https://www.sealevel.com/support/how-to ... -in-linux/

https://www.linuxnix.com/find-usb-devic ... b-command/

Hi Spearmint,
Can you give an example of what you line(s) you added in Grub?
The only recent mention when running a search for "quirks mode Grub" seems to be yours. Seems a very interesting way to introduce us to masochism. The USB links were good - cheers.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

gittiest personITW wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:47 pm Hi Spearmint,
Can you give an example of what you line(s) you added in Grub?
The only recent mention when running a search for "quirks mode Grub" seems to be yours. Seems a very interesting way to introduce us to masochism. The USB links were good - cheers.
give these results, I can make the line for you which may work.

lsusb
This shows in my grub.cfg file, for an example. I will bold the part you'd need, but have to change the manufacturer number part for your use.

menuentry 'Linux Mint 18.3 MATE 32-bit' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os $menuentry_id_option 'gnulinux-simple-fafbd832-cde5-4060-9464-1effc5caad07' {
recordfail
load_video
gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
insmod gzio
if [ x$grub_platform = xxen ]; then insmod xzio; insmod lzopio; fi
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='hd1,msdos4'
if [ x$feature_platform_search_hint = xy ]; then
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root --hint-bios=hd1,msdos4 --hint-efi=hd1,msdos4 --hint-baremetal=ahci1,msdos4 fafbd832-cde5-4060-9464-1effc5caad07
else
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root fafbd832-cde5-4060-9464-1effc5caad07
fi
linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-146-generic root=UUID=fafbd832-cde5-4060-9464-1effc5caad07 ro resume=/dev/sda6 usbhid.quirks=0x04D9:0xA0CD:0x20000408 quiet splash $vt_handoff
initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-146-generic
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

You've been busy.....

think I'll save that for a rainy weekend when I have the balls to play with Grub.
I can cope with pressing the power button for a bit longer but it is interesting that there is a 'fix'!

You know when everything is running exactly how you like and one day you think 'I wonder if I can just .........'
I'll save your line for that day.

Many thanks.... It is bookmarked.
mrgta67

Post by mrgta67 »

gm10 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:21 pm Can you try the same thing and instead use the command

shutdown now
and see if it shuts down? Want to know if it's just the output that's the problem or if it never fully resumes.

There's a problem with that. When I do a quick hit on the power button the PC DOES resume, but the monitor won't.

Also you should check /var/log/syslog and /var/log/kern.log to see what it says.
Put both of these in the terminal and it said access DENIED...
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Those are text files, you can open them with any text editor. Since you're using MATE you should even have a Log File Viewer in your menu to comfortably browse all system log files.

Return to “Installation & Boot”