[SOLVED] How to find and start a .deb-application?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
buayadarat

[SOLVED] How to find and start a .deb-application?

Post by buayadarat »

Until now I have only used programs from the repositories.

Now I need a program for my tax-declaration. I could download and install it from the tax-office's website.
How can I find and use it now? It is not in the menu. I can find it in Synaptic under the name "steuern2018".

Thanks in advance

buayadarat
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to find and start a .deb-application?

Post by Neil Edmond »

If you used your web browser to download the .deb package, you will likely find it in your downloads directory. Just double click on the file, and it should open with gdebi package manager and install. If you can find the package in Synaptic that means it's available in the repository and can be installed from there.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Neil Edmond said,
If you can find the package in Synaptic that means it's available in the repository and can be installed from there.
i dont think that is necessarily true. i have the Brave browser as well as clipgrab, neither of which is found in the repositories since they are only available via ppa, (except clipgrab which is also available via appimage.).
once installed in the system via ppa, they now both show in Synaptic whereas before installation, they did not appear there at all...DAMIEN
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Good catch DAMIEN... I don't think I understood what buayadarat meant by "I can find it in Synaptic", because now that I've looked for myself, it's not there.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

give a link to the .deb file then maybe someone will test it for you and tell you how to run it.
buayadarat

Post by buayadarat »

Probably I was not clear enough. I did find the package and I did install it by double-clicking. But now I can't find it to run.

Here is the link: https://www2.sh.ch/Natuerliche-Personen.4316.0.html
There it is the fourth link from the top.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

I installed it to LM-MMATE 18.3 virtual machine, and I found it by searching on steuern. For the MATE desktop the launcher is in the Office group in the Applications menu.
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
buayadarat

Post by buayadarat »

Thanks a lot to both of you.

Now it is there, but before it wasn't, It was not found by searching. Hmmm... :roll:

Could it be, that it appeared only after restarting the system?

Return to “Software & Applications”