How To Create a System Image With Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk In Linux Mint.

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How To Create a System Image With Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk In Linux Mint.

Post by catweazel » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:09 pm

bob466 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:32 pm
placed in another Computer
You added that just now, as soon as you realised your mistake. If you doubt that, post the text where you said it previously.
What are you on ?
I take it that you can't post the text.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

April
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How To Create a System Image With Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk In Linux Mint.

Post by April » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:41 am

Hi I am new to Linux mint and was reading this thread with interest, I have a boot disk for a backup program on windows called easeus todo backup which also has a free version with a winPE boot disk . I thought id try it and see what happens and well it reconised all the hard disks and ran as expected no problems .

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:19 am

April wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:41 am
Hi I am new to Linux mint and was reading this thread with interest, I have a boot disk for a backup program on windows called easeus todo backup which also has a free version with a winPE boot disk . I thought id try it and see what happens and well it reconised all the hard disks and ran as expected no problems .
Welcome April to the Forum and Linux Mint. :)

Creating a System Image is very important and yes there's plenty of Imaging Software but will it work well with Linux ? Are you sure the Image you create will Boot when you Re-Image the HDD or SSD ?

There's nothing worse than Re-Imaging a HDD or SSD only to find the image is bad and you've lost everything...Re-Imaging will wipe everything on the Destination Drive just like if you were installing the OS.

I have used Macrium in Windoze for years and in Linux Mint for over three years and it's never let me down. Macrium Free has some very good features...It's reasonably fast...Easy to use...Works great with Linux and verifies the Image...so you know the Image you've created is good.

No Imaging Software that I know of and this includes Clonezilla have the features listed above...but of cause the choice is always yours. With Macrium you can create a System Image of your Mechanical HDD and put it on an SSD...as long as both are the same size and it works just fine because I did so not long ago.

Macrium doesn't and will never have a Linux version but that doesn't mean you can't use it for Linux...the reason I wrote the Tutorial...anyway give it a try...you'll be glad you did. Image :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:20 pm

bob466 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:19 am

No Imaging Software that I know of and this includes Clonezilla have the features listed above...but of course the choice is always yours. With Macrium you can create a System Image of your Mechanical HDD and put it on an SSD...as long as both are the same size and it works just fine because I did so not long ago.

Macrium doesn't and will never have a Linux version but that doesn't mean you can't use it for Linux...the reason I wrote the Tutorial...anyway give it a try...you'll be glad you did. Image :D :D
I totally agree... Clonezilla IMO is a disaster, and I am not a newby to software.
w/o an easy to use GUI, it is fraught with user mistakes being made.

I too, have used Macrium Reflect for about 20 years, maybe more.
If you don't have a windoze pc, borrow one, create the DVD or USB media recovery software.

MR has never, ever, failed me. Not once.

and it is newby friendly.
when making the backup media software, be sure to tell it to install the optional drivers so that it will work with any PC on the market, not just the one you used to create the media.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:39 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:20 pm

I totally agree... Clonezilla IMO is a disaster, and I am not a newby to software.
w/o an easy to use GUI, it is fraught with user mistakes being made.

I too, have used Macrium Reflect for about 20 years, maybe more.
If you don't have a windoze pc, borrow one, create the DVD or USB media recovery software.

MR has never, ever, failed me. Not once.

and it is newby friendly.
when making the backup media software, be sure to tell it to install the optional drivers so that it will work with any PC on the market, not just the one you used to create the media.
I think that some people are set in their ways and refuse to try something that's actually better and much faster too. Image Then there are those who wont use it because it has a Windoze PE...they think it's going to phone home. :lol: :lol:

Some time ago I created an Image of my HDD that had about 100GB of data with Macrium and it took 1hr 20mins :D...Clonezilla was still going after 3.5 hrs...where I stopped it...could have had another 3.5 hrs left...who knows. Image :roll: :roll:

One thing I did notice...Macrium takes the same amount of time to create a System Image of either a HDD or SSD but works just fine.Image :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Tutorials”