[confirmed][fixed] gDesklets is broken

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lagagnon

[confirmed][fixed] gDesklets is broken

Post by lagagnon »

The "gDesklets" package in the Mint repository is broken for Gloria. It requires Python 2.5 and Mint 7 has Python 2.6.2. It throws an error in this regard when launched from a terminal. I don't know who to message on this one so I though I'd post it on the forum...

Larry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clhodapp

Re: gDesklets is broken

Post by clhodapp »

On my Gloria x64 system, it claims to depend on 2.6 <= python < 2.7 and installs fine. Maybe it's been updated?
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Ok, so the gdesklets package is broken, for the following reasons:
1) Although it correctly depends on python >=2.6 and < 2.7, the /usr/bin/gdesklets script uses a /usr/bin/python2.5 shebang, rather than /usr/bin/python
2) Once this line has been changed, the file /usr/lib/gdesklets/gdesklets-daemon cannot be found, hence failing to connect to the daemon
clhodapp

Post by clhodapp »

Ok, then that's why it worked: I just happened to have python2.5 installed. If you do, it installs and runs fine. Maybe we should change the dependency and put it in our repo?
emorrp1

Re: [confirmed] gDesklets is broken

Post by emorrp1 »

ok, so this has been reported and fixed upstream: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/350562
Unfortunately, it's only been fixed in karmic (gdesklets - 0.36.1-2ubuntu1) so for the moment at least, you have to stick to the workaround:

Code: Select all

apt install python2.5

Return to “Beginner Questions”