Why does popular software on the software manager have a surprsingly low number of reviews?

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
amrmarey
Level 1
Level 1

Why does popular software on the software manager have a surprsingly low number of reviews?

Post by amrmarey » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:51 am

Hello,

So I've started using Linux for the first time ever a few days ago and I'm loving it. However, I noticed on Linux Mint's Software Manager, popular software such as steam, skype, spotify, wine, etc have like 200 reviews at the very most. Ex. Steam only has 79 reviews, Skype has 22, Spotify has 70 reviews, WINE has 0 REVIEWS!!! These low numbers make me question the software I'm downloading. On any other software center like Google Play each of these programs would have a million downloads and 50k reviews. I know Linux Mint still isn't very popular worldwide. But can anyone explain why the numbers are that shockingly low?

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Why does popular software on the software manager have a surprsingly low number of reviews?

Post by Pierre » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:09 am

in order to submit any "Review" as such, you do have to Log-in to the http://community.linuxmint.com/ Web Site,
and then create such an "Review" - - this process is Not as simple, as it could be.
- - thus there is only a Few "Review" ever done.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

DAMIEN1307
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Why does popular software on the software manager have a surprsingly low number of reviews?

Post by DAMIEN1307 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:31 am

Considering that the software manager is a repository on a closed system for linux users accessed on a linux computer without a www. exposure etc. i agree with Pierre...it is not simple to just leave a simple review...old "fuddy duddies" like myself refuse to "leap through flaming hoops of fire", "jump hurdles", or be a circus "trained seal", etc. to leave reviews...if the ''guardians of the 'repository' galaxy" really wanted imput from users such as myself, they would make it a simple affair to do so...i find it like other feedback entities such as Amazon etc...if im already logged in to a service to purchase an item and they want me to actually give them feed back on the item purchased, than do not ask for additional identifying info from me for "tracking" "demographics" or other such nonsense etc. because im just not going to do it...reviews tend to be no more than personal opinion or preferences to begin with, and whats great for me, might be miserable for someone else...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

rene
Level 11
Level 11

Post by rene » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:05 am

Although I also quite agree with the above two comments, a further thing I've noticed is that very often there's "this sucks!"-sorta one-star reviews by people that couldn't get the application to do what they wanted, even though often not as anything to do with the application itself but rather their system or understanding of it. Together with the normal effect of people being less inclined to leave feedback when things "just work" this seems to mean that the review system is just not very useful.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:21 am

amrmarey wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:51 am
On any other software center like Google Play each of these programs would have a million downloads and 50k reviews.
50.000 reviews. Just how useful is such an amount of reviews? :shock:

I simply can't understand the mentality of the guy who's taking the time to write that 50.000th review. Why? What was he thinking?
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:33 am

Pierre wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:09 am
in order to submit any "Review" as such, you do have to Log-in to the http://community.linuxmint.com/ Web Site,
and then create such an "Review" - - this process is Not as simple, as it could be.
Pretty much. I don't have an account on the community website so I never submitted a single review. Also I'm not even using Software Manager, but that's besides the point.
Pjotr wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:21 am
amrmarey wrote:
On any other software center like Google Play each of these programs would have a million downloads and 50k reviews.
50.000 reviews. Just how useful is such an amount of reviews? :shock:

I simply can't understand the mentality of the guy who's taking the time to write that 50.000th review. Why? What was he thinking?
Reviews are very useful. It's just like democracy. You may think that your vote doesn't count because others surely already have voted, but that's the logical fallacy that lead to the political landscape we're currently looking at. :P
Last edited by gm10 on Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tune up your LM 19.x: ppa:gm10/linuxmint-tools

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:43 am

gm10 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:33 am
It's just like democracy. You may think that your vote doesn't cote because others surely already have voted, but that's the logical fallacy that lead to the political landscape we're currently looking at. :P
You have a point there.... For that reason I always vote, even in elections of institutions that I deeply abhor, such as the European Parliament. So I'll revise my statement: voting for the number of stars is always useful. But writing that 50.000th review as well.... :?

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:47 am

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:43 am
So I'll revise my statement: voting for the number of stars is always useful. But writing that 50.000th review as well.... :?
Are those separable though? As in, can you vote for a star without submitting a review?

Besides, typically in software reviews you get comments on changes in the latest version. Since software keeps evolving so do the reviews.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:06 am

gm10 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:47 am
Pjotr wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:43 am
So I'll revise my statement: voting for the number of stars is always useful. But writing that 50.000th review as well.... :?
Are those separable though? As in, can you vote for a star without submitting a review?

Besides, typically in software reviews you get comments on changes in the latest version. Since software keeps evolving so do the reviews.
We, sir, definitely need to fight a duel. :twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOBTFfHJjV8

gm10
Level 18
Level 18

Post by gm10 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:47 am

Pjotr wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:06 am
We, sir, definitely need to fight a duel. :twisted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOBTFfHJjV8
Hah. Now give me back my rapier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOBTFfH ... u.be&t=131 :lol:

HaveaMint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by HaveaMint » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:03 am

basic-5-point-green-star-beveled.jpg
basic-5-point-green-star-beveled.jpg (3.66 KiB) Viewed 346 times
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:24 am

I've never found the reviews at Mint Software Centre (or the Ubuntu equivalent) very useful. I think it's because the more experienced users stopped using it a long time ago. My favorite place for reviews is a site specific search of askubutnu.com (which ranks users).

carum carvi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by carum carvi » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:09 am

amrmarey wrote:
Steam only has 79 reviews, Skype has 22, Spotify has 70 reviews, WINE has 0 REVIEWS!!! These low numbers make me question the software I'm downloading.
When I started using LinuxMint 2 years ago, I had exactly the same worries. Can I trust software in the Software Manager, which has so little reviews? If software isnt reviewed a lot, perhaps it isnt used a lot either? That's how I was/am thinking. And I still feel doubts using completely new software, when I dont know if it is used a lot and reviewed positively by many others.

I started asking questions on this forum about what is recommended Linux software instead of looking at the reviews given in the software manager and I found the advice given on this forum a better guide in choosing new software than the number of reviews in the Software Manager.

AZgl1500
Level 10
Level 10
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:36 am

Pierre wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:09 am
I looked at trying to write up a review, it is a major PITA, and I quit.

Grateful4Linux
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Grateful4Linux » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:01 am

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:31 am
Considering that the software manager is a repository on a closed system for linux users accessed on a linux computer without a www. exposure etc. i agree with Pierre...it is not simple to just leave a simple review...old "fuddy duddies" like myself refuse to "leap through flaming hoops of fire", "jump hurdles", or be a circus "trained seal", etc. to leave reviews...if the ''guardians of the 'repository' galaxy" really wanted imput from users such as myself, they would make it a simple affair to do so...i find it like other feedback entities such as Amazon etc...if im already logged in to a service to purchase an item and they want me to actually give them feed back on the item purchased, than do not ask for additional identifying info from me for "tracking" "demographics" or other such nonsense etc. because im just not going to do it...reviews tend to be no more than personal opinion or preferences to begin with, and whats great for me, might be miserable for someone else...DAMIEN
Same here. I was going to write several reviews for software, but I didn't want to sign up for yet another account.

all41
Level 15
Level 15

Post by all41 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:22 am

The important direction of this topic should be which popular software has a 'surprisingly' negative rnumber of reviews' (quotes were my own)

Return to “Non-technical Questions”