[Solved] Windows 7 not starting after installing Linux mint

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
salek

[Solved] Windows 7 not starting after installing Linux mint

Post by salek »

I have install linux mint 19.2 cinnamon 64-bit on free space of same hard disk. I had Windows 7 32 bit in my Hp Pavillion g6 (core i5, 500gb hard disk, 2gb ram) laptop. At the time of linux mint installation, have created root 15 gb, 4 gb swap area , 18 gb /home. When reboot, it shows linux and windows 7 listed. But when I choose windows 7 it shows another screen. Not starting windows 7.
Photo link: Windows 7 not starting after installing Linux mint https://imgur.com/gallery/rxRhBDf
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Windows 7 not starting after installing Linux mint

Post by Larry78723 »

Please take a screenshot of what you're getting when you select win7 and upload it to a picture sharing site (I recommend imgur.com) then post a link to it.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Have you run update-grub yet?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
athi

Post by athi »

Are you selecting Win7 from BIOS boot list or GRUB boot menu (black screen with listing of bootable O/S and tools)?
salek

Re: [Solved] Windows 7 not starting after installing Linux mint

Post by salek »

I have selected windows 7 from grub boot menu.
I have run update-grub. This did not solve the issue.

I have use Boot repair disk and the problem solved now. Thank you.
salek

Post by salek »

Larry78723 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:29 pm Please take a screenshot of what you're getting when you select win7 and upload it to a picture sharing site (I recommend imgur.com) then post a link to it.
https://imgur.com/gallery/rxRhBDf
salek

Post by salek »

Spearmint2 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:21 pm Have you run update-grub yet?
I have run update-grub. This did not solve the issue.
salek

Post by salek »

athi wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:47 pm Are you selecting Win7 from BIOS boot list or GRUB boot menu (black screen with listing of bootable O/S and tools)?
athi

Post by athi »

salek wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:21 am
athi wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:47 pm Are you selecting Win7 from BIOS boot list or GRUB boot menu (black screen with listing of bootable O/S and tools)?
So GRUB is working, just cannot boot Win7. Either Win7 boot manager is damaged or is inaccessible. Please run below command in Terminal (ctrl+alt+t) to output partitions layout and post results.

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

salek wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:32 pmAt the time of linux mint installation, have created root 15 gb, 4 gb swap area , 18 gb /home.
Congratulations on solving the immediate problem. I will mention, though, that this is not a good partition scheme for your system. I assume you saw it recommended somewhere. Or adapted it from something you saw recommended somewhere. Your root partition is much too small and you don't need a swap partition in Mint 19.2. Meanwhile, separate home is useful in some ways, but not needed.

Given how little space you have available, the best solution would be a single root partition. In fact, I would recommend you reinstall now, but you'll probably demur. At least keep this in mind if you find yourself having to reinstall in future. Like, when your root partition fills up. :(
salek

Post by salek »

pbear wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:04 pm
salek wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:32 pmAt the time of linux mint installation, have created root 15 gb, 4 gb swap area , 18 gb /home.
Congratulations on solving the immediate problem. I will mention, though, that this is not a good partition scheme for your system. I assume you saw it recommended somewhere. Or adapted it from something you saw recommended somewhere. Your root partition is much too small and you don't need a swap partition in Mint 19.2. Meanwhile, separate home is useful in some ways, but not needed.

Given how little space you have available, the best solution would be a single root partition. In fact, I would recommend you reinstall now, but you'll probably demur. At least keep this in mind if you find yourself having to reinstall in future. Like, when your root partition fills up. :(
Thank you very much.

Return to “Installation & Boot”