[SOLVED] How to resolve an error after double command for installing

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
InChrist
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] How to resolve an error after double command for installing

Post by InChrist »

I have installed Signal from https://www.signal.org/download/

Code: Select all

curl -s https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt/keys.asc | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://updates.signal.org/desktop/apt xenial main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list
sudo apt update && sudo apt install signal-desktop
I entered the second of the three lines double. Now the Update manager shows the following when I refresh.

W: Target Packages (main/binary-amd64/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:2
W: Target Packages (main/binary-all/Packages) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en_IN) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:2
W: Target Translations (main/i18n/Translation-en) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:2
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-amd64.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:2
W: Target DEP-11 (main/dep11/Components-all.yml) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:2
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-amd64) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:2
W: Target CNF (main/cnf/Commands-all) is configured multiple times in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:1 and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list:2
What to do?

Will be happy about clear and competent help.
Greetings and blessings, Klaus
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Visit my profile link for NOW AND ETERNITY.
Kernel: 5.4.0-42-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.6 wm: muffin dm: LightDM
Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
inxi -Szxx from 2020 03 25
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How to resolve an error after double command for installing

Post by Spearmint2 »

Is it creating a problem?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Solution:
Terminal command sudoedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list in order to load the relevant sources list file into the editor nano with root privileges.
The file will hold 2 identical lines. Remove one of the lines. Save the file. Exit nano.
Update Manager should no longer complain about duplicated entries.
Last edited by karlchen on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected: had forgotten the "sudoedit" in the commandline.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
InChrist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by InChrist »

The command creates

bash: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list: Permission denied
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Sorry, forgot to prefix my favourite command sudoedit.
So the complete commandline should read sudoedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list
Please, try the completed commandline.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
InChrist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by InChrist »

Thank you.
I could delete one line in nano in the terminal. Now is only one line left.
I then used ctr O to save, but what to do then, DOS ...?
Have tried ctr F for saving to file.
This is the result in the terminal.

DIR: /var/tmp/                                       

..                                                                             (parent dir)
flatpak-cache-DEKW7Z                                                                  (dir)
systemd-private-a8aff939ad23405cb20ddc4c73b38ee8-colord.service-BY5xqX                (dir)
systemd-private-a8aff939ad23405cb20ddc4c73b38ee8-iio-sensor-proxy.service-XGPkKr      (dir)
systemd-private-a8aff939ad23405cb20ddc4c73b38ee8-ModemManager.service-Hi1MlT          (dir)
systemd-private-a8aff939ad23405cb20ddc4c73b38ee8-rtkit-daemon.service-jLLaZC          (dir)
systemd-private-a8aff939ad23405cb20ddc4c73b38ee8-systemd-resolved.service-TMBZ7z      (dir)
systemd-private-a8aff939ad23405cb20ddc4c73b38ee8-systemd-timesyncd.service-lIKTl0     (dir)
.signal-xenialXXq0wmB4.list.swp                                                        1 KB
signal-xenialXXq0wmB4.list                                                            68  B

^G Get Help    ^W Where Is    ^_ Go To Dir   ^B Back        ^P Prev Line   ^Y Prev Page
^X Exit        M-W WhereIs Nex^L Refresh     ^F Forward     ^N Next Line   ^V Next Page
What must I do? Did I damage something?

And opening the list in nemo shows that there are still 2 lines.

Happy about clear help.

Greetings, Klaus

HP-ProBook-470-G3
Host: pro Kernel: 4.15.0-62-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.2.4 wm: muffin dm: LightDM
Distro: Linux Mint 19.2 Tina base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
inxi -Szxx from 20190910
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, inChrist.

In editor nano, <ctrl>o saves the changed file, as you found out yourself.
<ctrl>x exits the application.

I admit I do not understand your remark on "DOS". Neither the rest of your post.

After having eliminated the duplicated line in the file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list, you could have launched Update Manager again and klicked the [Refresh] button. Update Manager should no longer complain about the duplicated entries. - This was the idea.

P.S.:
I just noticed you had changed your post above.
<ctrl>o to save the changed file (filename remains unchanged). Then <Ctrl>x to terminate nano.

Regards,
Karl
Lifeline
InChrist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by InChrist »

Hello Karlchen

I have figured out how to save the reduced file finally in Nano in the right path, but the permission to do so was denied.

Greetings, Klaus
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

The commandline sudoedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list
+ first asks for your password in order to elevate you to root privileges
+ then launches the editor nano with root privileges
+ finally opens the file in nano with root privileges
which makes sure that there will be no permission issues saving the changed file.

In case you opened the file without root privileges, then indeed you will not be permitted to save it, not in the directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d/. Saving it somewhere else will not have the desired effect on Update Manager.

Please, post the output of the terminal command cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/signal-xenial.list
This will tell whether the file still holds duplicated lines or not.
Lifeline
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Maybe off-topic, but what's the point of having beginners use nano, through sudoedit, to edit system text files, rather than a "regular" notepad-style editor like leafpad/mousepad/gedit with a normal GUI?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
InChrist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by InChrist »

Thank you so much, Karlchen.

Somehow finally the output is as desired, and the error does not come anymore.

Blessings, Klaus
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Flemur wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:28 pm Maybe off-topic, but what's the point of having beginners use nano, through sudoedit, to edit system text files, rather than a "regular" notepad-style editor like leafpad/mousepad/gedit with a normal GUI?
Or even the GUI for Software Sources.... which nowadays has a nice button to remove duplicates.
removeduplicate.png

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [SOLVED] How to resolve an error after double command for installing

Post by karlchen »

<Side note>
About my love for editing the software sources list files using sudoedit instead of using Mint Software Sources:
  • I use both, Ubuntu and Mint. Software Sources on Ubuntu and Mint differ in what they can do (and not only in their names).
    Software Sources even on Mint differs in what it can do, depending on the precise version.
    I prefer to use the same application across Ubuntu and Mint and across different versions if possible. :wink:
  • For small changes I have edited software sources list files for the past 10 years.
    They are just small text files, having a pretty simply structure.
    A text editor is good enough in most cases to achieve my goal.
  • Why sudoedit specfically: By default, available on all supported Ubuntu and Mint versions.
Ok, ok, will try to remember that for less experienced users, clicking a maintenance button in Software Sources may be the better way.
</Side note>
Lifeline
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Flemur wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:28 pm Maybe off-topic, but what's the point of having beginners use nano, through sudoedit, to edit system text files, rather than a "regular" notepad-style editor like leafpad/mousepad/gedit with a normal GUI?
sudoedit is one of the safest method of editing root owned text files (and on Wayland based systems will probably be the only way). Why? The editor application itself is never run with elevated privileges, it creates and works on a temp user owned copy of the file in question and sudoedit (which has the elevated privileges) updates the original root owned copy when the editor application is closed.

But you are not stuck with CLI editors with sudoedit.

E.g you can insert in ~/.profile

export SUDO_EDITOR="xed -w" and hey presto sudoedit will default to using xed. You can do similar with whatever your preferred GUI text editor is.

No need for GVFS Admin protocols, Polkit rules, resurrecting GKSU from the dead, sudo -h, and all the other garbage that people resort to and recommend for no good reason when the simple and safe solution has been hiding in plain sight all the time.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

smurphos wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:43 am But you are not stuck with CLI editors with sudoedit.
E.g you can insert in ~/.profile
export SUDO_EDITOR="xed -w" and hey presto sudoedit will default to using xed. You can do similar with whatever your preferred GUI text editor is.
That's good for people to know. 'nano' gives me the willies (it reminds me of punch cards for some reason), but I'm happy with "sudo vi filename" almost all the time.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Other topics”