[SOLVED] Install Linux Mint 19.2 on an USB-Stick

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stocki

[SOLVED] Install Linux Mint 19.2 on an USB-Stick

Post by stocki »

Hi,
I would like to create an USB stick with Linux Mint 19.2. That actually worked quite well so far. At first I created a Live-Stick with Rufus and with it I tried to install Linux Mint to another Stick (I will call it Main-Stick).

During the Installation I created an EFI Partition (100 MB) on my Main-Stick and a Partition for Linux Mint (Ext4-Journaling-Dateisystem, mount-point “\”).
At “Device for bootloader installation” I choosed my Main-Stick.

After finish the installation, the Bootloader of my Laptop has changed, and was not installed to my Stick! I already tried many times to install a Main-Stick with a working Bootloader:
with an EFI Partition…
without an EFI Partition…
also I removed the SSD with my Windows Installation from my Laptop, so that I only had the Live-System booted…

Always the Main-Stick was not bootable.

What I did wrong? Can someone help me please?
I'm a total noob about Linux!
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Install Linux Mint 19.2 on an USB-Stick

Post by catweazel »

stocki wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:28 am What I did wrong?
Probably nothing at all. As a general rule, UEFI boot programs will always install to the first EFI partition found. I dare say this is what's happened. If you must have a UEFI boot, remove all HDDs and boot the live media in UEFI mode. The alternative is to boot the live media in compatibility mode (standard BIOS). In both cases, install to the USB device by letting the installer choose the partitioning scheme rather than trying to do it yourself.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
stocki

Post by stocki »

catweazel wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:44 am boot the live media in compatibility mode (standard BIOS)
For to do this, I have to change in BIOS Settings the Boot Mode to Legacy Support?
I only can choose between UEFI or Legacy Support.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

stocki wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:00 am
catweazel wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:44 am boot the live media in compatibility mode (standard BIOS)
For to do this, I have to change in BIOS Settings the Boot Mode to Legacy Support?
I only can choose between UEFI or Legacy Support.
I did say it was an alternative. If you can only choose legacy or UEFI then the advice still stands. Remove the disks and let the installer do the partitioning.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
stocki

Post by stocki »

Ok, understand.
I will try today evening and let you know the result.
Thanks at first!
stocki

Post by stocki »

It works - Thank you!

One more question: Is there a possibility to install an USB-Stick in a way, that it is bootable for UEFI- and BIOS Systems?
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

stocki wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:40 amIs there a possibility to install an USB-Stick in a way, that it is bootable for UEFI- and BIOS Systems?
Yes. See my tutorial on full install to USB drive. Take a look at Hybrid Install. There also are two other strategies for UEFI boot which don't require removal of the internal hard drives. Be aware, all three UEFI strategies rely on the backup bootloader, so require secure boot to be disabled. If you want to keep secure boot, removing the internal drives during installation is the best option.
stocki

Re: [SOLVED] Install Linux Mint 19.2 on an USB-Stick

Post by stocki »

Great... Thank you!
I will try next week, when I find more time for to try out.

Return to “Beginner Questions”